True Image images & FD-ISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Clive T, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

I've read in the FD-ISR help file that the preboot function needs to be disabled before using an imaging prog otherwise the image will not be bootable.
    Does this apply to TrueImage when restoring an image , since TI boots from its own recovery CD and restores an image containing the correct boot information?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I believe the recovery CD just initiates the program. Where do you think the restored image gets the correct boot information from. It is contained in the image. However supposedly that info is out of date, and you would be okay.
    Nevertheless, I would still disable preboot, before taking an image. Just reduces the likelihood of problems.

Pete

3. Clive T

Well, that's my gut feel but it's not very scientific. I'll post a query with BootBack's support team and post their response back here.

4. Peter2150

I'll bet they will tell you the same thing I got from Raxco, that it isn't necessary. Be interesting to see.

I'd still do it though.

Pete

5. Clive T

You're right, Pete! Here's the reply I just got from Software Pursuits:

"There are no known conflicts between BootBack and TrueImage in our
    experience. Many of us use both products together on our home machines
    and we use both in our offices. We have never experienced any issues
    whatsoever."

6. Peter2150

Not surprised, and they are probably right. But given the problems with imaging in general, I like to give it all the help possible.

7. Clive T

Being a cynic (like you, I suspect ;) ) I queried this information again - and here's the further response I received very swiftly from Software Pursuits. :

"Hello, Clive. Yes, you are correct - there is no need to make
    adjustments of any kind in either BootBack or TrueImage for the other
    program."

So..that's clear. My concern was that an unattended scheduled update to a TrueImage session would cause the image to become unusable unless BootBack was modified each time.

Regards

8. Peter2150

Yep same info i've received. I don't do unattended scheduled updates, so I would still vote for disabling. That is an individual user choice.

Pete

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I'll agree with Pete that disabling pre-boot before imaging is the prudent thing to do.

ALSO, Clive, be aware that an ATI image will NOT record your MBR and be bootable unless you image your entire physical system DISK (as opposed to only imaging your C: drive, i.e., the system partition). For those of us with multiple partitions on our system disk, or who don't know any better, this limitation can be quite problematic !

10. crofttk

OK, last night I just completed a test restoration of the entire hard drive on my laptop with Acronis True Image, which had been on my list to do for a few weeks now. This hard drive has FDISR installed and I purposely didn't disable the pre-boot.

After taking an entire disk image with ATI version 9 build 3633 onto an external USB drive (WD Passport, 110 GB), I booted from the Windows XP install CD and removed EVERY partition from my hard drive.

Then I booted from an ATI rescue CD and proceeded to restore the entire disk. After completing the restore and rebooting, I was pleased to see the FDISR pre-boot splash on that first boot. After startup and login, everything, including FDISR, is functioning "within established parameters" (for any trekkies out there).

It was a scary but, IMO, necessary confirmation that ATI, in its current incarnation, can be relied on to seamlessly restore my system. The survival of the FDISR custom MBR and pre-boot functionality is more a convenience than a necessity for me but it helps restore my perception of ATI's robustness.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Acronis True Image recovers the system partition very well with or without FDISR as long you recover the MBR also.
    I've tested this more than enough and I didn't disable the pre-boot.
    This is the procedure to recover the system partition and MBR (bold) :

01. Main Screen "Acronis True Imege Home - Pick a Task"
    a. Click "Recovery"

02. Screen "Restore Data Wizard"
    a. Click "Next"

03. Screen "Archive Selection"
    a. Choose the approperiate .tib-file
    b. Click "Next"

04. Screen "Restoration Type Selection"
    a. Mark "Restore disks and partitions" (default)
    b. Click "Next"

05. Screen "Partition or disk to restore.
    a. Mark "System Partition [C:]"
    b. Click "Next"

06. Screen "Restored Partition Location"
    a. Mark "System Partition [C:]"
    b. Click "Next"

07. Screen "Restored Partition Type"
    a. Mark "Active" (default)
    b. Click "Next"

08. Screen "Restored Partition Size"
    a. Click "Next"

09. Screen "Logical Drive Letter"
    a. Mark "Yes, I want to assign a logical drive letter to the restored partition" (default)
    b. Choose "C:" (default)
    c. Click "Next"

10. Screen "Next Selection"
    a. Mark "Yes, I want to restore another partition or harddisk drive"
    b. Click "Next"

11. Screen "Partition or Disk to Restore"
    a. Mark "MBR and Track 0"
    b. Click "Next"

12. Screen "Disk Selection"
    a. Choose "Disk 1"
    b. Click "Next"

13. Screen "Next Selection"
    a. Mark "No, I do not"
    b. Click "Next"

14. Screen "Choose Restore Options"
    a. Mark "Use default options"
    b. Click "Next"

15. Screen for starting the restore.
    a. Click "Proceed"

This procedure counts for every recovery with and without FDISR in the .tib-file and you don't need to change anything in FDISR, not even the pre-boot (disable or enable).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  12. flashgordon999

flashgordon999 Registered Member

Great info, ErikAlbert! I appreciate your thoroughness

flash

13. ErikAlbert

Thanks. I like procedures without exceptions or workarounds and that work in any situation.

14. crofttk

Note that you have to be updated to build 3567 or later of ATI to have this choice. The addition of this choice along with, at last, ATI backing up the MBR when you select only the system partition on a multi-partition disk was a long needed and significant improvement.

15. Peter2150

I have to add a follow on to this. I have been imaging with IFW/IFD, and I haven't turned off Preboot in FDISR. No problems at all. If I should have to restore one of the images to a new drive I understand that IFD would simply put a standard MBR on the disk. This would just necessitate starting up FDISR after booting and turning on the preboot.

Turns out to be pretty much a non issue.

Pete

16. ErikAlbert

Frankly, I was a bit surprised that my post of June 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM got a reply today, better late than never. LOL

17. flashgordon999

flashgordon999 Registered Member

I have just decided to add an additional backup tool to ATI - that in three years has served me very well - and so I was doing some research...I've run across your posts several time and always got something from them, so I thought it was high time to thank you
    flash

18. ErikAlbert

Yes, I've done lots of tests with ATI, FDISR and ATI + FDISR, because both softwares are supposed to save me each time I'm in serious troubles and they did a good job upto now.
    Some of these tests had usefull info for other users and that's why I published them and I'm glad it was in your case.
    We both must be very lucky ATI-users considering the many problems in the Acronis Forums. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.