Beta for Windows Vista Compatible NOD32?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by kr0z, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kr0z

kr0z Registered Member

I've been a NOD32 customer for nearly a year now.

I also beta test Microsoft Windows Vista and wanted to know if there is a beta version for testing that is compatible with Vista coming soon?

:)

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Existing versions should work just fine.

3. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Should & Do are different beasts

initial tests say that present Nod versions do not work properly in Vista beta

Nothing AV wise seems to work in vista beta yet properly

BUT that is the idea of a beta to test what works in the real world and what doesn't

I'm sure that soon enough either vista will recognize nod or nod will bring out a version to work in 64 bit vista as well as 32 bit vista

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Should is the word because i haven't tried NOD32 on Vista, but Happy Bytes and Marcos said it works ok.

And avast! is working on existing Vista builds as it suppose to work (see the changelogs). So 1 AV is working for sure on Vista.

5. olof65

olof65 Registered Member

hey

with windows vista build 5308 working nod if you disable UAP.

bengt

6. captkirt

captkirt Registered Member

nod 32 does NOT WORK well on VISTA 5308. it slows the whole system down . i set up this vista and its response time was excellent right up until i installed nod32 current trial version.
    this dropped performance by approx 75%. i had to reload windows vista to resolve the issue also. even an uninstall didnt work .

7. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

how much that is NOD & how much Vista I can't say. I have numerous reports from Vista beta testers of quite strange behaviour with 5308 build especially with AV's that wasn't in earlier builds. BUT that is the idea of a beta to test and find the faults and I know M$ have taken much of the AV problems into account with this build and should hopefully improve it a lot in the next build

Many testers think it's a clash between new M$ inbuilt op system protections and several AV realtime protections who want to examine certain files that Vista locks to protect

8. captkirt

captkirt Registered Member

the vista install i did worked really well with office2003, corel draw 12, dvd shrink, copy to dvd, and spped times were really good. until i installed nod32. v2.51 trial. this really put a damper on the whole setup . it must be because of the protections in vista. disabling the uap didnt help either. i did a reinstall and tried this too. same fault.
    normans av doesnt work either, nor does avg 7. or nortons. 2006.
    most of these blue screen and reboot failures. normans installs but wont run and you cant uninstall it afterwards.
    just some info for those who want to know :)
    my system specs are athlon 64 3gig 1 gig ram and 200 gig hdd .
    the nvidia beta drivers also work well.

9. fahlis

fahlis Registered Member

If the user is a local admin and you disable UAC and also IMON in NOD32, it works well in Vista (build 5342).

/Tony

10. Whissi

Whissi Registered Member

I think you didn't understand what kr0z was just asking...

In my opinion you can't even say "NOD32 works... deactivate..." Have you even thought of it? IMON for example is a feature of NOD32... it is one part of the protection. And UAC is one part of the userprotection in VISTA.

kr0z was just asking for a real working beta... don't say NOD32 is working actual and don't advice people to switch of UAC... say only "No, there isn't a full-working version of nod32 for vista on the market yet..."

11. ouminan

ouminan Registered Member

With Vista Beta 2, I didn't find the need to disable UAP. I also did not need to disable IMON, but had to increase its compatibility in order not to nuke the TCP/IP stack.

See my post here...

12. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I'm somewhat torn on this situation. On one hand, I do not call software "working" that requires editing/altering of basic settings in order to function as advertised; I'm an Install-and-Go type of guy. At the same time, Eset is cautious about releasing builds that will compromise the customer in any way; even the one NOD beta I remember in 2+ years of being a customer was locked down tight and only had scant few niggles.

I'm anxious to see when a Vista-certified, Install-and-Go product will be ready from Eset. Official launch isn't until January 07, but there are a lot of us on the CTP squad that will most likely be using it full-time well before then.

13. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET will release a version of NOD32 which is compatible with Microsoft Windows Vista around the time Microsoft ships their new operating system.

There are two things, though, you should keep in mind:
    1. Right now Microsoft Windows Vista exists only in beta-test form. It is not a gamma release1, "pre-release" version or a release candidate . As such, it is incomplete, may contains bugs and have missing functionality or functionality which is removed or changed in the final version.
    2. System utilities software such as access control, anti-virus, backup, disk defragmentation, disk imaging and so forth are very tightly-coupled with the operating system. Unlike applications such as word processors, graphics programs, mail clients and so forth which use fairly well-documented APIs and can be expected to operate with the computing environment in a relatively fixed number or ways. System utilities, on the other hand, interoperate with the operating system at a very low-level, which may mean functioning as a device driver to redirect I/O into a virus scanning engine, but could also mean more exotic methods, such as modifying the operating system in memory2 while it is is running because there is no API to provide the functionality the anti-virus developer needs in order to protect the system against threats.
    So, in a nutshell, if you intend to run a version of NOD32 intended for use with production versions of operating systems such as Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP and 2003 Server on top of a test version of Microsoft Windows Vista, expect to do some tweaking to get the two to interoperate. Also, you may encounter problems which do not occur with NOD32 under earlier versions of Microsoft's operating systems.

ESET may, from time to time, test versions of NOD32 for Microsoft Windows Vista and other operating systems. Some of these test-cycles might be private (and closed to public participation and discusssion) while others might be public. There is no need to contact ESET to ask about participating in testing the software--although not every ESET employee reads every message in the forum, we do read and discuss some of the things brought up here. When the time comes to recruit people for testing purposes, this forum will be a primary means to do so.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

1Which, admittedly, I have not seen used at a software developer for a number of years now.
    2Given as an example--I'm not aware of any anti-virus program which currently does this.

14. kr0z

kr0z Registered Member

Thankyou for your reply!

If a Beta version of NOD32 is released sometime in the future I would be happy to participate. Specially since Windows Vista x86 and x64 Beta 2 have now been released. :cool:

15. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack Registered Member

16. BetterIT

BetterIT Registered Member

Avast and Nod32 stop starting up in Vista for me.

Looks like I will have to run Trend until nod32 gets a Vista Beta, you really do feel the impact of a non nod32 AV.

What is the major impact of turning IMON off anyway, is it that an infected email or file can get to the system, but is then picked up by realtime scanning?

17. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

All this means is malware won't get caught during network I/O, it will still get caught at the file I/O level when those operations occur, e.g., disabling IMON means any malware will get caught by AMON when the application (or the operating system) attempts to write it to the disk.

In other words, you're not loosing any protection, the intervention by NOD32 just occurs later in the process.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

18. BetterIT

Thanks.

BTW, NOD32 starts up every time if you leave UAD off. ie don't turn it on then off again.

19. MaXimus666

MaXimus666 Registered Member

but some people complained they are experiencing a major slowdown after installing NOD32, r u?

20. BetterIT

I've had slow downs, but check CPU & memory use, it doesn't appear to be Nod32. From my experience with the Microsoft search indexer on XP, it appears to be that + running low on virtual memory.

I've recently had NOD32 say the on demand scanner has stopped working, and MS says it is closing th app. But my Nod user had expired, So I'm hoping that was all it was.

Wish I could find an outgoing firewall. It looks like the M$ requires hard coded rules for outgoing protection.

21. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Excellent advertisement for IMON indeed.:D

Of course, you're NOT right. Missing http scanner does not only delay the intervention, it can very easily cause lack of it. Think of e.g. browser exploits...

You're basically saying that IMON is of no importance (in Vista or any other OS).

22. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

VLK is right, there is then no way to deal with browser based exploits. Basically amon could be shotdown before it even gets an event to scan something.

23. berng

berng Registered Member

So what will happen if IMON is removed in future NOD versions? Will they have some kind of work around?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=124078&highlight=imon

24. ASpace

ASpace Guest

They will create a better replacement :D

25. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I've been pondering the same thing.

Taking clues from some things said on here about module interoperability, I am assuming that the new firewall may handle such things (as Marcos has said that 3.0's modules will work together/communicate to share the load and increase detection). But for those of us who will not be using the firewall or antispam modules, what are we going to do then, especially if detection is crippled by not using all three modules? This is conjecture based on my understanding of a forward-looking statement made by Eset and may not be completely accurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.