StopBadware.org - exposing malware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by eyes-open, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Another potentially useful bookmark ?

The above was taken from:-

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2006-01-25-spyware_x.htm?csp=34

stopbadware.org

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  2. Grandenuts

Grandenuts Guest

I dont really like the term "badware" and they use it repeatidly.. theres no such term as "goodware" being widely used so why do they do it. It's a nice idea though.

3. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

i think it's a good idea (the coallition to fight "badware"), but so far, after spending who knows how much on research,,,their reccomendation page says stuff like,,use adaware, microfoft antispyware, spybot search and destroy, etc. .......i think most of us already came up with that stuff on our own! i guess it's a good "all-in-one" stop for information for people though who don't know anything about protecting their computer.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  4. Grandenuts

Grandenuts Guest

thats not enough to use adaware, s&d, M$ Antispy... what about a firewall, antivirus, and anti trojan?

5. Grandenuts

Grandenuts Guest

6. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

sorry, that wasn't a complete list, just a few examples...i added in "etc."

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I better visit StopBadware.org next year. It's too early to evaluate this website. :)

8. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Although the site is up, they're not really launching properly until Wednesday.

I had, from the initial description, thought of the site as being somewhere you can go and check out software you weren't sure of.

From their site

There's potential for a great resource - depending I suppose on their ability to deal with the possible threat of litigation ? There are some big names associated with this 'project'. I'm assuming not only their software researchers, but also their lawyers will have an opinion before they put someone on the 'bad' list.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sounds good in theory, but this is a VERY HUGE JOB, because there are thousands and thousands of softwares on the internet.
    And not only the badwares, but also the goodwares.
    And for EACH software an evaluation report.
    And all that world-wide.
    And keep it UP-TO-DATE, because software changes all the time.
    And keep people enthousiastic enough to continue.

It's possible as long it lasts :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.