Do you use Linux?

Discussion in 'polls' started by dog, Jan 19, 2006.

?

Do you use Linux?

1. Yes

47.3%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Live CDs only

8.6%
  4. It's something I wish to try ... but I haven't yet

12.9%
  1. dog

dog Guest

Do you use Linux?

If so what Distro? and Why?

How long have you been using it?

What percentage of the time do you use/boot into Linux when using your PC?

2. dog

dog Guest

I prefer Mandriva (No particular reason - I also like SuSE) .... I use it 95% of the time my PCs are running.

I've been using Linux for about a year, and am still learning every day. Currently I'm reading "Hacking Linux Exposed" to expand my knowledge. I'm still rather a noob, but learning very quickly.

If anyone would care to suggested any reading material - I'm all ears. ;) :)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have and will be useing Linux again. I received from Novel a three cd set of novel desktop so I have to get busy and do a little partitioning and get it installed.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    I use Suse installed and live and Knoppix live. I also have Ubuntu live, but I don't use it. I don't use them too much, since most of the games I like and play are Windows-based.
    Mrk

5. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Slackware 10.2, because it is simply the best 100% true linux like distro out there. I also use Ubuntu because it's the best debian based distro out there.

5 years for Slackware, Ubuntu since it came out.

40% of the time in Linux, would be more except for the crappy ATI support.

6. tansu

tansu Registered Member

I use OpenSuse 10
    Started with knoppix live cd then jumped to Suse professional 9.0 about 1.5 years ago

7. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

On another machine I have a SimplyMepis liveCD install on a spare partition.

Haven't had time to play yet - other than made sure it could use my router and monitor.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im currently trialing SuSe (for less than a week) now. I trialed it based on results from a Linux distro quiz. but afaik linux goes, im a complete n00b. i still need to do more research on installing apps and especially drivers.

9. Oggie

Oggie Guest

i wanna try it.. hopefully when i get my cdrw drive working i can boot up "ubuntu" :)

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

since i installed Ubuntu i've booted into XP 3 times i think. twice to try and see if i could burn a cd i was having problems with and once to try out a windows imaging program. i totally love Ubuntu, anyone who hasn't tried Gnu/Linux is missing out. i've got debian, suse 10 and Mandriva on discs ready to try and Damn small Linux, Knoppix, Kanotix (?spelling), Linspire livecds and some others i forget. i'd like to try Auditor livecd too.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

SuSe 10, its the most complete and well tested package.

12. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Tiger 10.4.x here. Best OS what you can get.

13. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Xandros 3.0, and SuSE 9.2. Both are easy to use, and have a lot of features for everyday computing. The file manager in Xandros is very good, and Codeweaver stuff is helpful.

14. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Long time since I touched Linux.

Used Minix/Linux at Uni.

Setup of couple of Servers running Slackware (web server and a quake server).

Used to have a Win98 machine ( hated Win9:cool: and a Slackware box that I spent as much time on.
    Also lucky enough to be able to remote login into Linux (inside uni) from dialup so used to be able to ftp big files at high speed rates to my user account whilst surfing the web at home and then collect them on floppy the following day.

Once had to do some DB++ on a HP Mainframe... argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

But I think for 5 years I've not touched Linux, mainly due to me working for a MS Loving Organisation (we are slowly moving to active directory network from netware).

One of my Best friends loves (and works with exclusivly) Linux, currently one of the maintainers of Khaos, though the servers run on Slackware 10 (I think).

15. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I have 5 Ubuntu CD's on their way in the mail. Can't wait to try it!:D

16. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Yes, I also use the Slackware distro; particularly the Zipslack variant ...

And until recently, I was used to use a Linux this way: I had a FAT32-formatted C:\ partition with Windows 98/SE (built "on top" of MS-DOS, or at least "cooperative" with it, if not on top), and an NTFS-formatted D:\ partition with Windows XP/Pro. In this double-booting system, I mostly run XP, but ocassionally I also booted to 98 for one legacy program I was using, and of course, to first boot into MS-DOS and then to Linux which is located under the C:\Linux\ directory.

Even though I remember reading about the newer kernel-builds supporting the NT file-system; I would prefer to use Linux from FAT32-formatted partition anyway. However, this current setup of mine is quite old now, and in the mean time, my Windows 98/SE installation got screwed-up.

So I am interested, is there an alternative way of booting into Linux in particular situation (maybe with Free DOS) ??

thanks, stalker

17. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I recieved them...it installed great..just a little trouble connecting to internet(another thread)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've never used Linux, and I'm happy with my Windows OS.

19. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Not yet.

20. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I ordered Ubuntu live and just waiting for it to arrive to give it a hook.

21. progress

progress Guest

22. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

3 years later, I imagine this poll would have different results.

Arch, Linux Mint, PcLinuxOS are what I use.

23. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

These old polls just won`t go away. :eek:

Have Wolvix loaded on a 4th lap top. Does not see much use.

Do have several live CDs used for file recovery etc. on hosed systems. Does that count? :doubt:

24. suliman

suliman Registered Member

I am using Ubuntu and have been using it for +three weeks now. Well, I have been trying it on and off shortly for a year or so through Wubi, but I took the leap and made a proper install with no regrets. Have not booted into Vista, which was may main OS before, since then.

A couple of times a week I boot to my Windows XP gaming snapshot to play good old COD4.
    I have Ubuntu coz it is the easiest to understand, all is very easy for an old Windows user :)

25. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Yes. The big daddy - Debian. Why? - Light, fast, secure, customizable, easy, massive repo, massive community and above all free plus loads more.
    Been using Linux on the desktop for about 15 months now and Debian for about 4 months exclusively unless using the missus XP laptop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.