NEOAVA beta, a new and free desktop IPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kareldjag, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

Just for information, the release of a new personal HIPS.
    It has the ability to prevent keyloggers, rootkits, spywares and so on.
    But it is really efficient if the rules are optimized.

http://www.neoava.com/

The main concept is explained here as a text paper:

http://www.neoava.com/MADP.htm

Regards

Attached Files:

2. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Here's a coincidence !

Arman Nayyeri who wrote the Neoava Guard App, has his own personnal page here

http://www.4rman.com/Security.htm

At the bottom of it, one of his links is to LIU DIE YU who wrote the WinBlox App, along with the exploit Tests, i mentioned yesterday here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=115880

I've DL'd Neoava Guard and see if i can use, as it sounds intriguing. Didn't see what OS it's for though ? I notice from your screen shot that amongst other things, it appears to have some form of self protection built into it, which is very good.

Thanks for posting kareldjag, and hopefully you'll be doing some of your fine tests on it soon !

StevieO

3. 20000posts

20000posts Guest

I like this part from the website:

Neoava Guard is not currently a commercial software and currently released by Arman Nayyeri as a sample MADP software. If you are interested in helping author to make it commercial or just help spread it out contact author.

It's not commercial.......yet? So it looks like it will be payware after enough people help him make it payware. :p It really sounds like it's beta release and probably not for anyone but experts.

4. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Earlier on today i scanned it with various AV/AT etc which showed no problems. I then installed it and rebooted which went fine.

I tried to run it, but couldn't as i got several different error messages. I presume it only works on XP etc ?

I would be interested in hearing about anybody elses experiences with it !

StevieO

5. korb

korb Guest

6. korb

korb Guest

well Arman had answer my question.one should adjust the setting in the advanced before checking the checkbox in the custom security setting.i had also suggest future version can include a network connection control like 'appdefend'.

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

For the record - another thread started and then closed since this one already existed.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I will check it out, but are there perhaps any conflicts with other apps? And have you already tested it kareldjag? :)

9. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

Rasheed, i've reviewed quickly this soft against a keylogger, a worm and a rootkit; and no doubt that it it has interesting features and configuration possibilities.
    But, sorry, i've not tested and i can't test it : it is a beta, and how can we claim to publish independent and objective tests if we're already a beta tester?

This product is mostly intended for advanced/experienced users.
    And even experienced, time and coffee are required for a high level of configuration.
    Most of all, what is this business model? Freeware Advitam Eternam? or may be a payware in the future?
    One fact: a mail to Novatix's team: one day for a reply; and a mail to NeovaGuard's dev. and no reply since 3 or 4 weeks.

There's other products (often paid) on the market which provide a high level of defense, and almost support and helpful forum.
    For NeovaGuard, just wait and see...

Regards

10. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Nice post kareldjag ! I am watching the progress as well . Most interesting is the reply / no reply issue .

11. Rasheed187

I´ve tested this app a bit more and I have to say that I´m very impressed by it, of course the GUI could be improved a lot, but it´s really quite a powerful HIPS and running very stable. :)

So I really hope the developer will continue to develop this app and at the moment it´s my favorite HIPS together with KAV 6 and ZoneAlarm Pro. I definitely prefer it over Prevx1, CyberHawk and System Safety Monitor. :thumb:

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Are u still using it? I want to know how u compare it to PG, or OA, and which areas of defence it covers?

13. Rasheed187

Yes I´m still using it, but currently I have a minor problem, every time I will try to access the "Executable Options" settings, Neoava will crash, might be a conflict but I´m still testing it. About comparing it with PG and OA, I don´t use OA so I can´t help you with this. But I believe Neoava Guard is covering more than PG. I really think NG is one of the best HIPS around. ;)

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Did u test it against advanced process termination?

15. Rasheed187

Good question, if you need to protect certain processes from termination you still need PG. Also, the GUI part of Neoava will not protect itself against termination, so there is room for improvement. However, the protection service/driver keeps running even if you terminate the GUI. ;)

16. Rasheed187

It looks like if Neoava and KAV are conflicting with each other, I hope this will be fixed. But I´m still impressed with NG, it´s one if not the only HIPS that can control a process very precisely, with that I mean you can allow IE for example to install global hooks but deny it to do other possible dangerous stuff. Pretty impressive if you ask me. :)

But is nobody else using it? If NG will be approved it will IMO become on of the best HIPS around, and to tell you the truth I´m surprised that it hasn´t been bought yet by a security company, SSM and CyberHawk could certainly use this tech. :D

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t see many persons using it here.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

That's a fairly Bold and Confident statement when mentioned with that company.

How is it performing with your normal programs? Noticing any real hits on performance or anything.

Wouldn't mind trying it myself and seeing what the buzz is all about on that one. I'm a HUGE (HIPS) supporter!

19. Rasheed187

@ EASTER.2010

It´s running very smoothly, quite low on resources, if you´re really a HIPS fan you should definitely check it out. About prefering it over PrevX1 and SSM, both of these apps have got a couple of things that Neoava lacks but it´s a matter of preference. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.