How would you rate Symantec/Norton's Security Products?

Discussion in 'polls' started by SwordOfSecurity, Jan 14, 2006.

?

What would you rate Symantec/Norton's Security Software as?

1. I like it.

16 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. I think it's only okay.

25 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. I don't like it.

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. I DESPISE OF IT!

40 vote(s)
    34.2%
  5. Not Sure

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

Hi, :)

I've been using Symantec products for about 15 months.
    Norton AV & Firewall 2005 .... Norton Internet Security 2006.

Up to now I have no complaints pertaining to security issues on my PC.
    However, at certain times I've been very frustrated by their tech support and wait time from their " 1-800 " toll free numbers. Frustrations aside, my issues have always been resolved.

For members here that complain about all kinds of " crap " that is being left on their PC's after using Norton products I can tell you from uninstalling the 2005 products that Symantec has a removal utility available at their website that is designed to remove all traces of their products from your PC ( registry included ) prior to performing a new installation. However, I cannot say for sure exactly how long Symantec has had this removal utility available.

I also run monthly Kaspersky and McAfee online scans. On my PC I'm using AntiVir and BitDefender as on demand scanners. They all say I'm clean !!

HR :cool:

2. stalker

stalker Registered Member

I voted for the fourth option; 'nuff said -- ;) ...

regards, stalker

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

Problem is the latest removal utility doesn't remove versions prior to 2004 (removal tools are somewhat year specific), there are separate programs for removing NIS in general and the NAV sections of NIS for older versions, etc. Very untidy, still not sure the logic of why uninstalling doesn't really uninstall and requires you to download a special uninstaller to do it right. Why wouldn't a NIS 2006 uninstaller uninstall 2003 properly? Why not uninstall on any Norton product be able to uninstall ALL previous versions? How about a "no, really, I'm serious uninstall the damn thing, every part of it" and a "no, I only kinda want to remove some of it" buttons on the uninstaller GUI?

KISS principle is best.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Although the new versions of Norton/Symantec have some improvements on resources, I still think that we continue to have much better options...

I don't like it.

5. Julie2

Julie2 Guest

Tell you what REALLY anoys me. When folk with 'older' computers go to renew their NAV definition files subscription, the Update to Ver 2006 is cheaper than just renewing their old sub. Consequently they update to the new 2006 version . Then their old computers REALLY SLOW DOWN UNACCEPTABLY.
    Then they ring me and ask what to do?
    The solution - uninstall, and ask for a refund from Symantec, and install NOD32 (x3 faster and with engines that suit WIN 98, ME etc.
    It would appear that Symantec are marketing a product that is only OK with 'State of the Art" (today's) machines.
    Having said that - I notice that NAV noticably slows down even today's machines, but because they are generally faster it doesn't matter so much.

6. Sonap

Sonap Registered Member

I don't like it.
    Because when i was change norton and scan my pc with other antivirus found trojans, virus,dialers and everything you like

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Maybe, they have to release a free version. o_O

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I haven't liked their home market products since around 2001...since then, they've gone downhill. Bogging workstations down compared to many other antivirus programs, and "in the real world"...letting stuff slip past and into the system.

I make my living as a network engineer/computer consultant, so I'm not basing this off of seeing a situation once or twice and forming an opinion based on that, I'm talking about over many many years with many systems under all scenarios.

As for their corporate edition, I was a reseller for that since around version 5...going back to Win95/NT4 networks. Liked it up til about version 9...then licensing and pricing got out of control, and I began to see it become less effective, started looking at other products like Kapersky, AVG, NOD32, etc. When the piggish version 10 came out..that was it, I stopped reselling/installing Sym CE. I find it amusing, as current clients Symantec licensing expires, and I replace it on their servers/networks with NOD32....now within hours NOD32 is finding stuff that Symantec never touched. This happens several times a month as I'll be working on different networks..again, not just a once or twice observation, but something repeated over and over.

9. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

My opinion, it has pros and cons. It's not my AV of choice but I wouldn’t write it off as completely useless either.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I just bought NIS2006 a few weeks ago and I can't find anything wrong with it. Doesn't seem to intrude in my daily gaming habit. I know many people say Norton has let them down one way or another but, since I have been going to security forums I have heard such stories about every antivirus program. Guess the best thing to do is stay patched and practice better computing habits.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  11. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

System Work was pre-installed on this PC. Immediately removed once I got it home. Symantec/Norton's Products are not welcome in my house.

12. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Well, I had to pull NIS 2006 off my machine. It really is a complete program, and I felt very secure using it. It had updated daily with no problems. The program itself never had a crash or lockup. I was upset that I could not use the parental filter as it uses 100MB of ram to run, which is totally unacceptable.

Here's why I pulled it off. I had it on my PC since Jan 10th. My PC ran great for the first month, and for Feb it has continually been getting slower and slower. I defragged, cleaned, checked all components. All were fine. I pulled NIS off 4 days ago and put on seperate modules AV/AS/FW and PF. My computer runs like a rocket now, apps open much more quicker, our webcam is not stuttering and something I really did not notice before....our web browsing is much quicker.

In closing, I really like the NIS setup. I even looked at buying more RAM, but I would rather buy a new PC down the road.

PS(Just in case you wonder about conflicts or such)--I have
    P4, 2.4 GHZ
    512 Ram
    Integrated Graphics
    Minimal programs
    HP Printer/Scanner/Copier
    Mercury WebCam

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You know your experience is fairly symptomatic of a pattern affecting more the concept of a 'suite' than Symantec specifically. I had NIS 2004 running for for the best part of a year, and as time went on new problems were developing all the time(hence the notorious complaint about Symantec support). As matter of fact, the trial period of a month is not often long enough to be sure your application is worth buying.

Bigc73542 is continuously testing new AVs and suites, keeps them for a couple of weeks and posts his impressions. These are very valuable but unfortunately one doesn't know what's going to happen in the long run and in different systems.

I think it would be better IMO to buy NAV and NFW as separate modules (costing more of course) so that problems could be related to the modules individually rather than to a centralized GUI. It's a pity you couldn't work out the reason/s for the slowing down of your system.

The bottom line is that Suites tend to be more vulnerable and prone to problems due to their complexities than individual applications on their own, that is of course IMHO.

14. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Thanks for the insight. I even eamil Symantec asking to trade it for a NAV key, even if it was for NAV 2005. I won't seek a refund. My dads NIS 2005 comes up for renewal in a month..so I am just going to offer it to him....hmmmm can I put it on another machine?? It runs great on his Acer, and has for 3 years.

15. mannagills

mannagills Registered Member

Hate them. Too bloated, too slow, too much impact on my machine, and way too difficult to remove.

16. reederhb

reederhb Registered Member

Norton Symantec is dispicable. It is like inviting a virus into your computer. I highly recommend removing it as soon as possible. I tried it once in 1999 when a free trial came with my new computer and again this year when I purchased another computer. In both instances Windows and Internet access were running very smoothly prior to installation of Norton's virus protection. After installation, other programs would not operate, due to "missing components", internet access was blocked, windows os kept having errors etc... The help offered by symantec (Norton) is treacherous. If you have nothing else to do except flip through a circuitous parth of help screens that never take you anywhere or get you any live help, if you want to follow recommendations that make you search other web-sites for solutions like microsoft windows support then this software is for you. If you are like me, trying to keep my life uncluttered and simple, get McAfee. It Works!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.