Tony Klein's RD Standard .gsr file - Comments

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by TopperID, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I notice that in the default Rules for File Associations we have the following two keys:-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Comfile\Shell\Open\Command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cmd

However for consistency shouldn't we also be protecting these two keys?:-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Cmdfile\Shell\Open\Command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.com

I've added them to my setup, but I'm wondering if other people are seeing this - or is it a case of me deleting things I shouldn't have.o_O

2. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Re: Inconsistency in default Rules?

Hi TopperID.

I have done the same thing as you,as well add more extensions to be watched,i figured maybe Jason thinks those keys/values may cause too many pop-ups for average user,i dunno o_O

But yes,i have noticed other similar things,for example:-
    he has
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows nt\Currentversion\Windows - appinit_dlls
    but not
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows nt\Currentversion\Inifilemapping\Win.ini\Windows - appinit_dlls

There are a few more aswell,he may add/get round to adding them,but i don't get any logs/alerts for that stuff,so they may not be that important.

3. TopperID

Fortunately the above Key is covered by the Kent/RegRun Group which has:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows nt\Currentversion\Inifilemapping\Win.ini**

However, for good measure, I have also included the HKCU version as well. There is a lot of this kind of thing, for example we are protected against:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Explorer\Browser helper objects**

but not:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Explorer\Browser helper objects**

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Explorer\Browser helper objects**

I don't know whether the above two are important, but they are used by malware, eg:-

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.goldun.b.html

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453094133

4. f3x

f3x Guest

as a matter of fact, is it possible to use wildcard to cover both hklm and hkcu ?

i beleive most key would benifit from this ?
    unless there is a drawback i don't know ?

let say you have hklm/something
    but not hkcu/something

even if hkcu doesnt exist, or does nothing... it doesnt hurt to protect something that will never be trigered.

This could even speedup gss as you'll have half less rules

5. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

I don't have those...so like i said...maybe thay're not that important o_O .

6. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I think, if anything, it would slow RegDefend down. You'd have fewer rules in the list, but RegDefend would be watching many more keys and values, which is what really counts.

7. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Re: Untested Ghost files .gst

Ahhhhh,i've been wandering how to include that key without adding all of them.

Your a saviour mate.

8. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Don't thank me, thank Jason: it's all in the Helpfile :) :

http://www.ghostsecurity.com/gsshelp/

9. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

:ouch: Doh... God knows how many times i've read that helpfile...

10. TonyKlein

I know this is an Ooooold thread, but I thought I'd react all the same...

In reality neither of those keys exist 'in the wild'... .

Only HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Explorer\Browser helper objects does

As for its namesake in HKCU, I'm afraid that's Symantec goofing up. Sophos has it right: http://sophos.org/virusinfo/analyses/trojgoldunj.html

Neither does the key exist in HKCR, nor in fact does the Symantec article say it does, if you re-read it carefully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{92617934-9abc-def0-0fed-fad48c654321} of course DOES exist.

11. TopperID

Oh, of course, you want to confine protection to keys like:-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

but can't use the '*' as it would be misinterpreted by RD as a wildcard, hence the need for '?' instead.

We live and learn!

12. TonyKlein

Eggzactly! ;)

13. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Tried importing Tony K's latest file and it won't import. After extracting I tried renaming it.ghst and .gst and neither worked. Also copied the .gsr to the RD folder. Any suggestiuons? I am running RD 2.001.

14. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi G1111,

After extracting Tony's .gsr file to your GhostSecuritySuite folder, you need to exit and restart RD. Tony's .gsr should then be available via the pull down menu on the Main tab.

Nick

Attached Files:

15. TopperID

16. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks Nick - That worked. Didn't realize this is not an add on like hi s old one but a complete (replacement) for RDStandard.

17. TonyKlein

You are to believe me... LOL

Certainly malware can and will create keys that not normally exist, but if they're not going to work you'll agree with me that that wouldn't be of very much use.

The BHO key is located in HKLM only. Windows is just wired like that: Upon startup, Internet Explorer looks up that key and loads all the objects whose CLSID is stored there.
    It finds those objects by consulting the Improcserver32 subkey of HKCR\CLSID of the same name, where the default data contain the path to the file implementing the BHO.

Although you can certainly create BHO keys anywhere else, they won't be recognized by Windows, and Iexplore will not load BHOs stored there. You have to play by its rules.

Also, if a BHO key could exist and work on a per user basis, you could be sure that someone somewhere would actually know about it. It would somewhere be found in the MS Knowledge Base, and the folks behind Sysinternals Autoruns, RunAlyzer, HijackThis, Startuplist, Autostart Viewer (and RegDefend) would scurry to check those other keys as well.

They don't.

There is an incredible amount of erroneous information to be found on the Internet due to either people being sloppy, not checking their facts, or just not knowing what they're talking about...

Let me explain this in another way:

Do a Google search for MSCVRT.DLL.

That will yield over 2200 hits, a couple of them at microsoft.com.

Trouble is, there's no MS file by that name, as you'll see when checking the Microsoft dll Help Database

This is actually all people misspelling MSVCRT.DLL... LOL!

Same thing with your HKCU BHO key: it yields about 70 results: http://tinyurl.com/9gcr7

.. while a search for the correct key yields over 30,000: http://tinyurl.com/e4zv4

So to return to your earlier question: yes, all your examples are AV companies giving out erroneous information.

The trojans/adware in question really do exist, but I can assure you they install their BHOs somewhere they will be recognized by Windows ie in HKLM

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  18. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Tony,

I just wanted to say that it is good to see you back posting with your expertise in clarifying some things as far as the registry. I have missed your posts and appreciate your knowledge as I always learn from you.

Thanks for pointing out the inconsistencies that exist when researching different keys in the registry.

19. TonyKlein

Hi Kent, good to see ya! :D

You're very welcome. It's good to be back and I'll try to be a little less sparse than I've been lately. ;)

20. TonyKlein

Fine-tuning: had to add the following rules to the Rundll32 and Explorer Application Rules groups in order to ALLOW the following:

To the Explorer group add:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet explorer\Desktop\Components | GeneralFlags | SET VALUE

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet explorer\Desktop\Components\0 | Position | SET VALUE |

To the Rundll32 group add:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control panel\Desktop | screensavetimeout | SET VALUE |

Haven't updated the file yet; you can add these rules manually for the time being

21. TonyKlein

New file up, containing these and other additions, plus a few refinements and other tweaks.

Between the apps groups there will be a couple referencing third party applications that you don't need if you don't happen to run those programs (Port Explorer, ACDsee, and so on) In that case there's obviously no need to keep those groups.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=174267&d=1139318037

22. TopperID

Thanks Tony, I might have guessed it - you just can't trust these AV companies!:D

One further question though, I notice you've included:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\*controlset*\Control\Bootverificationprogram

with protection on the 'ImageName' value; but why not 'ImagePath'o_O?

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=102987

23. TonyKlein

Well, they DO consist of people, and you know how people are... :D

Well, that's one rule I borrowed from an existing set being tested, and I didn't research it. My bad....

it SHOULD be ImagePath, as ImageName only exists as a subkey, not a value...

I'll edit that, and you should do likewise. ;)

Thanks! :)

24. TopperID

Wow - that was an incredibly quick reply, I've only just posted. :)

Thanks Tony - that's what I call service. ;)

25. TonyKlein

Well, I happened to be online... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.