G Data's AVK using KAV and Bitdefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by StevieO, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I've just discovered G Data's Antiviruskit 2006, and thinking of trying it.

It apparently uses two AV's in tandem, Bitdefender and Kav ! This seems almost too good to be true, not that i'm doubting it, but two of the best AV's in one, amazing !

Does anybody have any direct/indirect knowledge with this product that thay can share, as i'm wondering how they are both able to work together without any conflicts ?

I can understand how both could be used for on demand and play together, but i'm more interested in establishing how they can do this for full time background guarding, without any problems.

Thanks

StevieO

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ive used g data avk for awhile once. it ran well, didnt slow down my comp too much. it had a fair amount of options and of course u could choose between using both engines or just one of them. i suggest u give it a try (tho u cant update) and see what opinions u come up with.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The GData AVK RTM monitor can use either the KAV or BitDefender engine, or both.

The default is both engines enabled and even though this setting is optimised, it may cause a performance slowdown. Further, even one of these engines may cause a slowdown on a particular system, so it is definitely worth testing this AV before making a decision.

And compared to older versions, this newer one is, IME, heavier in real time because of the extra features including the HTTP scanner.

However, if both engines are enabled for on-demand scanning then this can cause definite slowdowns compared to the single-engine settings.

But apart from possible effects of GData's AVK on computer performance, English support or the lack of it in this case may also need to be considered before you make a choice about this AV.

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Also in testing the dual engine hasn't been found to be any more effective than KAV.

5. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi StevieO, I've running AVK 2006 on one of my computers, for 2-3 months, and here is what I can say:

no conflicts at all, both engines are running smooth (the two are running from the same process, AvkCtrl.exe or something, I'm not on the computer running it now :) ).

You can choose to run both engines, or only Kav, only Bd; then you notice that BD is taking most of the ressources, as with the "real" Kav/BD differences (AvkCtrl.exe is 35 M big with both, but 8 or 10 only with Kav engine alone); but you can set different setups for on-access and on-demand (1 engine on-access, 2 on demand, etc).

The most surprising stuff for me is that Avk is running LIGHT, despite quite a huge memory use (between 15-60 Mo, depending of your settings). Even with max settings, it doesn't slow down my computer at all, I guess they make the engines work differently than the originals: I mean it doesn't slow startup, doesn't slow your work, and doesn't freeze the computer when you open a Cd or a folder containing lots of files. But every tests I made were stopped dead, proving the guard is efficient.

I say that because I've trialed Kav (2006) and BD 9, separatly, and they were slowing down startup and folders opening, something I don't like.

By the way, you can choose two setups, when running both engines: "Max protection", or "performance optimized", or even tune a custom setup.

One word, too, about the http scanner: it's the process responsible for the huge memory use (always at 30 M on my computer), but you can shut it down, whereas you're still scanning emails as doing. However it's one of the most powerful http scanner I've ever seen (did post a screenshot about that a while ago, will look if I can find it back).

About updates: you can get hourly updates (default are daily), and they're pretty big (separated for both engines).

Another good stuff is you can burn a bootable CD with all updates, nice option :eek: .

About overlap, well, sure there is, but I guess it *can* happen that you clean a file with BD (the optionnal engine) instead of Kav; without to say you gain BD Hive, which is appreciated by lots of people.

Will post screenshots tonight if you want ;)

Cheers,
    nicM

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  6. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Thanks for your replys which i found very helpful, the more information the better.

nicM, yes please that would be nice.

StevieO

7. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Some screenshots:

Attached Files:

• Avk1.jpg
      Avk1.jpg
      File size:
      83.1 KB
      Views:
  8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

...and sorry, my GUI is in french :D

Attached Files:

• Avk2.jpg
      Avk2.jpg
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
  9. nicM

nicM nico-nico

one more (scan settings)

Attached Files:

• Avk3.jpg
      Avk3.jpg
      File size:
      71.4 KB
      Views:
  10. nicM

nicM nico-nico

the actions panel, where you can start scan, with various scanning depth, and program/virus list updates

Attached Files:

• Avk5.jpg
      Avk5.jpg
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
  11. nicM

nicM nico-nico

update settings (background or not, etc)

Attached Files:

• Avk6.jpg
      Avk6.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
  12. nicM

nicM nico-nico

mail guard settings

Attached Files:

• Avk7.jpg
      Avk7.jpg
      File size:
      76.9 KB
      Views:
  13. nicM

nicM nico-nico

behaviour about infected mails, and the famous Outbreakshield :D

there are lot more: scheduler settings, etc

Attached Files:

• Avk8.jpg
      Avk8.jpg
      File size:
      69.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

good luck when you do encounter any issues .. the experiences I have made me choose for another av .. no responses what so ever, promises they made and when the time came .. they forgot or whatever but the av was good, I give you that!

except for the bitdefender engine took the double of kav engine in mem usage, cpu usage and vm usage...

together they took 28mb (2005) bitdefender alone took over 20mb

15. StevieO

StevieO Guest

It does appear that two AV's can work together in many different combinations, not just selected operations as i have done with a couple.

Nico

Thanks for the screen shots, pity they were in french, but i note that you are from there, so that's fine. You seem very pleased with it, with nothing bad to say about it. If you could state what OS you are on, together with the speed of your CPU and the amount of RAM you have, that would be a great help in understanding your good overhead etc figures.

Infinity

I agree with you about the support, or lack of it ! Was this a while ago, or more recently ?

Thanks

StevieO

16. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I had the model 2004 and I was told to get a free upgrade to 2005 but I never received any answer..

"technical" questions about how long it takes for avk to update their servers so we can all use it, remained unanswered.

pff I had 10 emails sent I believe and non were answered. while the purchase went really fast :) that sums it up I guess. I heard the updates are faster, a lot faster but still ..

Enjoy it Nico! cause the software is good!

17. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Yes, I noticed too that 2005 was more light.

For the support, I can't comment, because I've not experienced it yet.

StevieO, my computer is: XP sp2, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512 M ram (laptop). I did run the Avk trial on my main computer (older than this one: laptop too, XP sp2, P4 2,4 G, 448 M ram), it was running exactly the same way than on this one; I think I'm gonna buy Avk a second time for this one ;).

It's memory use doesn't seem to "reflect" the reality, that's weird :blink: ...

*By the way, be careful when choosing the firewall you'll use with Avk, it's proxy does make few firewalls "blind", even if there are very few suffering from this, and mostly some "exotic" FWs (GreenBow, Fireball, etc).

Oops, one more screenshot of the http proxy here :) https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=98110&page=2&highlight=Gdata

nicM

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  18. WSFuser

perhaps u are confusing memory usage with cpu usage? but i understand what u mean as i have run it on an athlon xp 2000 with 512mb and it wasnt as bad as i expected.

19. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Yes, that's exactly what i wanted to say: people would leave running when you talk about a 60 M ram Av (me too), when Avk is "light as a spring breeze"... indeed :D LOL

nicM

20. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Thank you for the replys, all points noted.

It would be much better if you could update the definitions, as otherwise you most likely could be at risk during the trial ! That alone must put a lot of people off trying it out, and therefore losing them a lot of potential sales. I can't think why they don't allow it ?

If it's just to see how compatable it might be with your other software, then i suppose that makes some kind of sense. If i do decide to try it out i will play safe and disable it whilst surfing, and re enable my current AV for the duration. Not many people would go to the trouble of doing this, and some wouldn't know how to. They should re think their approach to marketing poste haste !

If i do try it, i will post back with my thoughts on it.

StevieO

21. nicM

nicM nico-nico

When I installed the trial, definition files were dated november 14 2005, but even if the trial is 1 month, I just consider it as good for a quick view only, 1-2 days. Did run it for one week or more, however, and I wasn't infected :) .

As far as I know, the registering of the program is done through subscription on their update server, when you install Avk, you receive a "identification number" (comparable to Asquared activation, but without to have to wait for a mail, hopefully), that's the reason why there isn't updates in the trial versions. But sure some people may stay away of their Av because of that - when I trialed the 2005 version, definition files were 5 or 6 month old! o_O Not attractive at all, I agree...

I had to go to the US site to get a 2006 trial, by the way, here

Cheers,
    nicM

22. WSFuser

not to get OT, but if nod32 and panda have 30-day trials (both of which use usernames and passwords) then AVK should too, but i did trial it nonetheless.

23. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Nico,

There seem to be a number discrepancies between versions to DL ?

This is the one i DL'd

AntiVirenKit 2006 Trial Date: 29.11.05 Size: 42.28 MB ( Zip )

Unzipped avk2006trial_en.exe 50Mb

http://www.gdata.de/gdc/us_product_information

This is the one you showed a link to

AntiVirusKit professional 14.5 MB Free trial version with complete functionality but no updates.

http://www.gdata.de/gdc/us_downloads

AntiVirusKit 2006 Product number: 2743 Price: EUR 49,95

If i click on the " Download now, save 10% and start straight away " i get, The page cannot be displayed on this one !

http://www.gdata.de/trade/productview/567/28/

The DL options appear to be identical on the US and UK pages.

I'd like to know what the differences are between these conflicting versions, if anyone can help ?

Thanks

StevieO

24. StevieO

StevieO Guest

nicM

I'm sorry i called you Nico in error !

StevieO

25. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi StevieO, no problem ;)

The first two links you posted are the same now: the one I posted was the one I got the 2006 trial on, because few weeks ago, there was only 2005 to trial (on antiviruslab.com and G-Data french, english), yet 2006 was released for a while, but only german page had 2006. The first to come after was the US link, that's why I posted this, in case things didn't change in the meantime: they did, sorry for the misleading I caused. Oh, the US link does show 2005, 14,5 M, but in fact, you get 2006, 50 M (just try to highlight the download link, you'll see); think they didn't refresh their site.

So yes, you already have the good one :). The third link appears to be the buy link, I think?

You mean Username and Password for update servers too? whatever, Panda is restrictive too, about trial, you've only one update for the whole trial - better than not at all, but boring, because the program keeps saying "you're not protected, protection is weak, bla-blah" after the first day :doubt: .

Cheers,
    nicM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.