TI 9.0 Build 2337 - What Works and What Doesn't

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Menorcaman, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Well here we go again!! I've carried out a number of tests with Build 2337 using the hardware setup detailed in my sig. below. Results as follows:

Working

- Create bootable rescue CD.
    - Create Secure Zone (from Windows or Rescue CD).

- Activate Startup Recovery Manager via SRM Wizard (from Windows or Rescue CD).
    - Remove Secure Zone and deactivate Startup Recovery Manager (from Windows or Rescue CD).
    - Create Full, Incremental or Differential Disk/Partition images to either internal hard drive, external USB hard drive or Secure Zone (from Windows or Rescue CD).
    - Restore Full, Incremental or Differential Disk/Partition images from either internal hard drive, external USB hard drive or Secure Zone (from Windows or Rescue CD).
    - Restore individual files and folders from a Full, Incremental or Differential Disk/Partition image (from Windows or Rescue CD).
    - Create Files and Folder Images (from Windows or Rescue CD).
    - Restore individual files or folders from a Files and Folders image (from Windows or Rescue CD).
    - Verify images concurrent with creating or restoring an image or via the Check Archive Wizard as a separate activity.
    - Image to preformatted DVDs using InCD packet writing software.
    - Plug/explore Full, Incremental or Differential images and copy files therefrom.

Not Working

- Installer still not working correctly. Build 2337 will install over Build 2323 but NOT over Build 2302 (I've not tried any of the other builds).
    - Still unable to activate the Startup Recovery Manager concurrent with creating a Secure Zone if the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard is initiated from within Windows and the Secure Zone is being created on the main system drive. It works o.k. if the SZ is being created on a non-system drive, via the Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager Wizard or after booting from the rescue CD.
    - Unable to "Cancel" the process when verifying a Files and Folders image (from Windows or Rescue CD). This is the same for previous builds although I don't recall seeing it reported before.
    - Unable to back out of an incremental Restore operation initiated from the Rescue CD without the system rebooting as reported in the thread titled <True Image 9.0 Bug>. Same for previous builds but only recently reported.
    - Still a problem with the Progress Bars when restoring from the boot rescue CD. The Total Progress bar and Time Remaining still show a long way to go (in my case, 23 minutes) just prior to the Current Operation bar and the restore finishing. It's time this minor irritation was tidied up.

The above is a summary of what works and what doesn't on my system. Clearly, I can't guarantee that Build 2337 will perform the same way with other hardware/software combinations.

I haven't tested Scheduling, Cloning, Snap Recovery or Network Connectivity as I feel I've done my bit for mankind. Therefore will leave these outstanding items for others :D.

Please chip in with your own observations but let's keep it constructive, without rants or raves and definitely no Trolls!!

Regards

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  2. Snakeyes

Snakeyes Registered Member

Not done yet.
    The bootable disk in version 9 build 2,337 recognizes my external USB 2.0 hard drive when choosing which partitions to back up, however when chosing location to backup to, this drive is missing. Same for the 'check archive' function.
    Interestingly the external drive (in the 'partition to backup' window) has no drive letter assigned to it.

Thank God for my TIv8 build 937 Bart disk.

3. Menorcaman

Hi Snakeyes,

Hmm, most strange. Once the rescue CD has booted and successfully detected your external drive (e.g. you are able to select the partitions to be backed up) you would expect the drive to remain visible throughout all other operations o_O. I certainly don't have the same problem with my external USB drive.

Regards

4. billwv

billwv Registered Member

Thanks Menorcaman!

As a new TI user, I very much appreciate your build evaluations and your replies to posts.

Thanks for sharing your expertice.

Bill

5. Snakeyes

Snakeyes Registered Member

Can't figure it out myself. In the prior version not only was the drive recognized but was assigned a drive letter. Now when it appears in the 'backup' window it has no letter drive assignment. Go figure.

6. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

Results of testing user commands in build 2337

I have been testing pre/post commands since 2277; for details see here, here and here.

I am happy to report that the one issue remaining in my test has been resolved in build 2337. If a pre-backup command returns a non-zero status TI now correctly interprets this as failure and does not continue the operation.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Thank you, Menorcaman,

I have been waiting for this post of yours.

8. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

As posted in another thread (by me), the F11/usbmouse=off requirement for wireless usbmouse, has NOT been resolved in 2337. This broke after 2302!

9. dheijl

dheijl Guest

Thanks for these very useful reports.

I had a problem with build 2323 restoring a 37 GB file from a files and folders backup, and afterwards discovered that you had already reported this here.

You no longer mention this bug. Have you actually verified that files > 4 GB restore correctly from a files and folders backup?

Danny
    ---

10. MKairys

Unable to restrain my curiosity ;) I tried it, and it seems to work. Specifically, I did a F/F backup of a directory containing an image backup split into 4.7 GB and 1.0 GB .tib files. I restored the directory to another location, got the two .tib files back, and was able to plug and explore the image.

11. MKairys

The problem of the systray icon sometimes remaining after all tasks are complete is not fixed in this build. It just happened to me, after a scheduled task was run.

12. Menorcaman

Hello Danny,

Yes, I made a point of also checking everything I had reported as not working in my previous thread titled (strangely enough!! :)) <TI 9.0 Build 2323 -What Works and What Doesn't>.

Regards

13. Menorcaman

Good morning Acronis Support,

I am somewhat disappointed that you have yet to comment on this thread. Hopefully we haven't all been wasting our time on this systematic testing and reporting o_O.

Kind regards

14. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Don't forget it is Eastern Orthodox Christmas this week :rolleyes:

Colin

15. zeico

zeico Registered Member

Well, here's another issue. A friend just installed TI 9.0.3337, and created an image. Next, she tried to create a rescue bootable CD by inserting a blank, new CD-R in the drive. She got an error message: "Error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW". So she tried a blank, totally erased and unformatted CD-RW. Same result, and I watched her do it.

Is TI9.0.3337 picky about what disc recorder is used? She has a Benq DW1640 DD with Roxio's EasyMediaCreator 8.05. (No problems burning anything else using the same brand of discs.)

16. zeico

zeico Registered Member

By the way, I have the same CD/DVD drive as she has.

17. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

zeico,

If Roxio Drag to Disk is running, disable it before burning the Rescue CD. If that doesn't help, try temporarily disabling the Windows CD write tool as well.

18. dheijl

dheijl Guest

First thing I did after installing 2337 was to create a new boot disk.

I have Nero 6 running (without InCD) and used a CD R/W that I had to erase first (with Nero) in a DVD R/W drive (BTC IDE1004).

No problems at all.

Danny
    ---

19. dheijl

dheijl Guest

Thank you very much Menorcaman!

Danny
    ---

20. Menorcaman

Hello zeico,

A couple of other things your friend could try:

1. Open the CD/DVD recorder tray when prompted by TI (see screenshot below) and insert the CD but do not close it. Click the "Proceed" button to allow TI to close the tray automatically and burn the CD.
    2. Boot into Windows "SAFE" mode (F8 just prior to Windows loading) and create the boot rescue CD from there.

Both the above are well known workarounds for all versions of TI and have been used for years.

Regards

Attached Files:

21. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We really appreciate for your evaluation of the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0.

Please note that we have already reported the issues with Acronis True Image 9.0 mentioned above to our Development Team and they will try to fix them as soon as possible. I'm sorry but at the moment the exact time-frame for that is not decided yet.

If you have any further experience to share, please feel free to post it on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

22. Menorcaman

Thank you very much Tatyana. I look forward to the next build.

If you require further information from me then please let me know.

Kind regards

23. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Registered Member

I have TI 9.0 Build 2337 (currently latest build available) and that's the case on my system too.

I just did a differential backup (manually, not previously scheduled), and now I see the Scheduler icon in the system tray, which is animating. I closed down TI (just the main app) but the icon remains. If I double click the icon it loads the main TI app, which shows "No items to display" under Active Tasks panel. If I right-click on the icon, the "cancel" option is diabled. There is no "Exit/Close" option so it's not clear how to manually remove the icon (other than kill it via Task Manager).

..Ant

24. como

como Registered Member

I reported this bug in this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=113722

But when I created an image the next day the icon closed as it should, so it seems to be intermittent

25. MKairys

That's the only way (the task to kill is TrueImageMonitor.exe).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.