Blackspears Setting and NOD V3.0

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Albinoni, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Will it be possible to use Blackspears settings on NOD32 Ver 3.0 when it's released ?

2. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

As there is no info on NOD 3.0 right now, the correct answer is - nobody knows :)

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Honestly Blackspears settings aren't anything special. They were back in NOD32 2.0 days but 2.5 is pretty much optimally set out of the box.
    Not that i don't respect his work but why bother if it's already set correctly?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

NOD32 3.0 will come with a brand new interface and two modes - one mode for newbies, offering only the very basic settings, and the other with detailed configuration options for advanced users.

5. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

So!! Finally we are getting *some* info about version 3.0! Its really great to know that we will have version 3.0 after all!!! Just kidding! Keep up the good work!

6. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

So does this mean two diff progs or just the one. Well when I upgrade I'm going for the advanced version :D

7. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

I think he meant same program, different modes of operation.

8. looz

looz Registered Member

Can't wait for it

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think BS settings are excellent. I think they added 10-30% better protection on my setup.

10. Onslaught7037

Onslaught7037 Registered Member

nod32 is not set to maximum out of the box.check each mod.Amon,Dmon etc via setup and you will see.Also check setup on the on demand scan and you will see also,but it also depends on how in depth you scan also.

11. Marcos

o_O If you mean that potentially dangerous applications are disabled by default, this is perfectly ok. Otherwise it would be a nightmare for network administrators to have them enabled !!!

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I think you may be a little out of touch here. See post #32 by tazdevl in this thread. He sums it up beautifully. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=646348#post646348

13. Marcos

Well, you should remember that:
    1. potentially dangerous appplications mostly cover commercial software for remote administration
    2. this software is always installed with prior CONSENT of the user
    3. this software does not contain any malicious code

14. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I don't know what all this fuzz is about.? Default or out of the box settings are good enough for about 99 % of NOD32 users.

tD

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

maybe but some of us here dont fit into the 99%

16. The Hammer

No fuss. Marcos is just hearing from some home users who aren't network admins. ;)

17. Technodrome

Good. That’s why you have all those little options to play with. :)

tD

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

marcos, all i hope is that you won't get rid of that trademarkish warning message when malware is detected. Those red scrolling lines of code and flashing eye is the only warning message that i like the most along the one used in avast!.
    Other AVs have weird warning messages and i don't like that...
    Though i hope you'll first release public beta version so users can give comments and recommendations about this and that.

19. The Hammer

I think if you asked the 99% they would want the defaults improved or increased in number and the options reduced. Many Av's have a corporate version which is set up differently from the home version. It is possible to satisfy both network admins and home users with different versions with different presets.

20. Technodrome

NOD32 default settings are pretty tight. I am an advanced user and I use default options. If I’ve ever felt any risk by using defaults I’d probably agree with you. I agree that early v2 had some holes but the latest one is very tight.

I don’t know what you mean by saying corporate version should be different. As an admin you should limit employee’s computer privileges in the first place. By doing this, I don’t know how out of the box NOD32 wouldn’t be good enough.

21. Marcos

Needless to mention that with Potentially dangerous applications enabled, a lot of commercial programs for parental protection would be detected and removed as well.

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont think corporate AV have different presets, what different is their interface and the options available.

23. The Hammer

As a home user I'm not concerned with network admins at all as their concerns are different from mine. So just have a home version with more presets along the lines of what Blackspear has done and a separate Admin version with lots of options for network admins to tweak to their hearts content. I'm sure other Av's have done something along these lines.

24. The Hammer

Now that makes sense. I'm just arguing that some of Blackspear;s settings be adopted as out of the box defaults for the home user. I'm not necessarily suggesting that they all be adopted. If not then hopefully Blackspear will do a version 3. Also a lot of home users see red when the subject of admin problems comes up as a reason for not addressing a home user concern.

25. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

amen! when i used nod32 i intentionally went to sites that i wouldn't just to see that screen.

betauser2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.