OS Selector DDSuite 10.0.2077 "Failed to read from the sector 0 of hard disk 3"

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by dscrap, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

I have OSS installed from DDS 10.0.2077 (updated to 10.0.2089 see next post) and every time I boot and get into OSS I get an error "Failed to read from the sector 0 of hard disk 3". Well I have no hard disk 3... I looked in the options and I see my 2 main hard drives and a third hard drive of 896GB.

Once I boot into windows XP Pro, I go to the same options in OOS and only see my 2 drives. The third drive is not there.

I have an external USB hard drive that I use and after first use, I get the error. How do I force OSS to ignore the third imaginary drive when booting? I am assuming it is the USB hard drive because if I boot with it connected, I do not get the error...

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall OSS and I still get the error after I use the USB drive.

Thanks

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/7550/oss1va.jpg
    From Windows with the USB Drive attached. It doesn't even show up.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  2. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

I completely uninstalled DDS and OOS then restarted. I installed the update of DDS 10.0.2089 and I still have the same error occurring. I am pretty sure it is not the USB drive this time because I never had it connected to the system.

In OSS, from boot, I still get an error "Failed to read from the sector 0 of hard disk 3". If I then highlight Windows XP Professional and go to properties and then to Disks, I still see 3 hard disks. The last disk being 896 GB and with a BIOS number of 130.

How do I stop this error? What is it calling Disk 3? I have no third disk installed.

I also have OSS set to start the default OS after 15 seconds. I did this so I can start the computer and walk away. Now I have to sit and wait for OSS to load so I can click on ignore for the error before it can start the countdown. This totally defeats the purpuse of the countdown...

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I think the problem might be that OS10 even though uninstalled, has left its boot files lying around and still sees the nonexistant drive.

My remedy to get OS10 actually recognising a drive was to -

Deactivate.
    Uninstall
    Run XP repair in console mode
    Run fixmbr
    Run bootcfg /scan
    Boot back into Windows
    Re-install OS10

It then worked - apart from an MBR3 error, which shows up. Acronis have said what to do here - reactivate OS10.

I noticed that OS10 did leave its old boot.sys files on the non default partitions.

Colin

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dscrap,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. cwpippin

cwpippin Registered Member

Why is it that at the end of every thread you see support asking to send in a ticket and then no more posts.

C'mon Acronis.. How about using the forums to shed some light on the issues!?.

You could finish the thread attempting to help the person once you have a ticket in place.o_O :mad: o_O

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cwpippin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please be aware that most of issues are specific hardware and software dependent and are not common for all customers. That is why we cannot provide the solution which was provided to a particular customer to all other forum readers.

Please note that when the problem is complicated it is much easier and faster to solve it via e-mail because this way gives you much more opportunities to get diagnostic info that our Development Team needs to help you with the solution. When the issue is known or doesn't need any diagnostic info to be sent we always try to solve the problem here without having to contact Acronis Support Team.

The main thing is that the same error message can be resulted from different reasons. This means that each time we need diagnostic info of the particular customer who has this error.

If you experience the same problem then it does not mean that the reason of the problem is the same. So we recommend you to collect the above-mentioned diagnostic information and submit a request for technical support having this information attached. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

7. marcusaurelius

marcusaurelius Registered Member

I'd like to throw some of my 'experiences' into this fray. )) I repeated get the MBR3 error and continually reinstall OSS. Runs fine for a couple days then suddenly it comes back. Reading several posts I find that my problem maybe due to putting the system into standby mode. My WinXP Pro is installed on an NTFS partition. So maybe this is related to the hibernation problem.

But as far as the failed to read from the sector 0 of hard disk 3 I find this occurs when I had my USB drive attached either at exiting windows or present when I boot up. My USB device is either my MP3 player or my RoboForm thumb drive. When I remove this prior to logging out/in I don't have this particular error ever.

I still think OSS should not have to be reinstalled so often. This is a particular pain. But the system just bypasses the OSS and boots up directly to my windows partition. I can live with this but it doesn't feel right for my OSS to be able to always have to be reinstalled. Maybe a patch could be provided to prevent this?

Thanx for your time and forums. ))

Marcusaurelius

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.