Nod32 vs Kav

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by KingJack, Dec 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingJack

KingJack Registered Member

I see a lot of people use nod32 over kav? Is it just because nod32 is ligher on resources?

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I think these two are held my most people here as the two preferred antivirus apps out there.

Historically NOD32 has always been about being lightweight...fast, not bogging down your system. Historically KAV was known to be heavier...however recent versions have gotten much lighter. In my experience NOD32 is still lighter..but the difference isn't as much as it used to be.

My vote...either of the two...and you're in good hands.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I don't know f this will help you, but I have noticed the most recent verion of KAV 6 (beta) is very light. It might be lighter than the current version of NOD32 but the gap between the two has been narrowed.

A lot of people use NOD because they like zero hour protection; they like NOD's advanced hueristics. With it there is often no need to wait to have malware signitures added because most stuff will be caught with AH. That, and scanning speed seem to be the biggest difference between the two. KAV prefers using signatures and NOD prefers AH.

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Good points made. Run a search, this has been asked many a time before.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

But the use of Advanced heuristics in NOD32 is counterbalanced in KAV by the HOURLY updates of signatures. NOD32 doesn't update NEARLY as often as KAV does. NOD32 depends on its heuristics instead. Those are quite good, better than KAV's for sure but then KAV has hourly signature updates and NOD32 doesn't come anywhere close to that. So, the decision comes down to which do you personally like and trust best: put your eggs in Advanced Heuristics (NOD32) or in hourly updated signatures (KAV)? It really comes to that alone as I am beta testing KIS 2006 and it is very light so that gap between NOD32 and KAV is just about gone now.

The only other significant consideration is does NOD32's IMON for the internet slow your computer? It did mine something terrible over a year ago and KAV 4.5 never slowed my computer at all. But that is a very individual thing and that is why you need to test each one on YOUR computer. I haven't tried NOD32 since then. Perhaps now I would find that IMON did not slow my computer. I know KIS 2006 beta doesn't slow it at all (that I can tell) but I don't know about the latest NOD32. You simply must test both of them on YOUR computer.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think another consideration is whether you don't mind a program split into components, such as the IMON, which NOD does. Personally, I prefer everything under one user interface.

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I don't like this aspect of NOD either. Hopefully that will change in the future.

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I preferred KAV 4.5 over the version of NOD32 was out at the time. KAV was a fraction slower than NOD32 (from huuman eye).

But KAV 5 had some bizzare conflict (like taking 6mins and 40s to boot up) with my laptop (masses of disc thrashing, even with ADS streams disabled + a reinstall of win xp). The KAV support guys did try and help, but to no avail.

So I am using NOD32.

9. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Good boy :D :D

10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

These retrospective tests are a reflection of heuristics/proactive detection and NOD and BitDefender are very good in this respect.

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

It's just you.;)

13. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

It sure did. Can't say I'm surprised though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.