How to apply *this* setup

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by KEDK, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEDK

KEDK Guest

Hi,

I have 2 HDD's and 2 Windows XP (home & pro).

Now, I'd like to have each OS on each drive, and be able to boot into them transparently.

However, at the same time I would also like to hide one OS from the other, and each drive should be partioned in 3 parts, and have the drive letters C,D,E

Like in this scheme:
    HDD1
    C: HOME-BOOT (Windows XP Home)
    D: HOME-DATA
    E: HOME-TEST

HDD2
    C: WORK-BOOT (Windows XP Pro)
    D: WORK-DATA
    E: WORK-TEST

I thought I would be ready to make this setup in 10 minutes with Acronis, but I'm stuck for now with the following scheme:

HDD1
    C: HOME-BOOT (Windows XP Home)
    D: HOME-DATA
    E: HOME-TEST

HDD2
    none WORK-BOOT

Regards

PS. Why is the OS Selector so slow when it starts up and doint examinations. Can I disable this later on? It can save like a minute of boot time...

2. KEDK

KEDK Guest

Never mind,

I changed my mind about the OS Selector after realizing it's probably running in an embedded O/S (linux), and the launch time is not likely to improve in the future.

In my opinion the OS selector is close to overkill. Why start a small O/S just to make a selection. On my dcore P4, it actually takes around 15-20 seconds just to launch the OS Selector and select the "real" O/S you like to boot.

I think I can almost boot Windows XP two times in 20 seconds...

Besides I've found a few bugs with the OS selector (concerning drive letters), and I could not even deactivate it properly - I had to fixmbr etc. from the recover prompt, as it was just looping into itself on startup (after beeing deactivated).

-----------------------

In order to have the setup i mentioned, it is easier to install Home ed. on HDD1, make the extra partions etc. Then unplug HDD1 and plug HDD2 and install Pro ed. with extra partitions. Finally plug HDD1 again, and change the boot.ini file to launch Pro on rdisk(1).

Hope I will find something else of value in the Acronis Disk Director Suite - maybe I will need to change partition size some day...

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello KEDK,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please download and install the latest build (2077) of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

If any of the problems you listed above still persist with the latest build then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report.txt file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

4. KEDK

KEDK Guest

I this some kind of a standard reply ?

I don't expect that installing the latest version would make the OS selector boot up any faster (unless you have some release notes, which states 10 times faster boot times or like). So currently I don't think there would be any reason for me to go through all the problems with installing/uninstalling the OS selector again.

In my opinion it's really nothing worth if it still takes 10+ seconds to show a nice GUI etc. just to pick the real OS to boot.

I already made my setup as I described in the previous post, and it's way faster to select the XP version with the Windows XP boot manager.

Unfortunately I thought it would be easier to implement my setup with a 3rd party boot manager - my fault...

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.