PE v2.100 - Trial ended prematurely

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by cheetah, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheetah

cheetah Registered Member

Hello,

I installed PE v.2100 four days ago, 2005-12-04. Downloaded install from diamondcs http. Today, after only four days i couldnt open PE (not that other bug talked about in forum) and got the splash that says something in the vein of "...Trial version ended beacuse... either used more than 50 times or 30 days..."

Well only used four days so that shouldnt matter.
    I also havent opened PE more than about once/twice a day. I think i had about 40-45 "opens left". I havent booted comp 50 times either (going to the extreme and thinking every boot would count, which it shouldnt right?).

Ok, i wonder if anyone knows what is going on.

XP Pro SP2
    Various security soft (appdef, regdef, nod32, outpost etc)
    I usually have no probs whatsoever and take alot of care to system ;)

Thanks for reading. Nice app btw.

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Just a couple of things:

Have you done a System Restore in the last few days ?
    Has your clock changed significantly ?

3. cheetah

Hello,

No, i havent done anything major. My clock hasnt taken a jump in any direction, and i havent done a system restore. I also havent done any installs of new programs, updates etc.

But (!) i did one thing though, now that i think about it. I disconnected my system drive because i was gonna try XP x64 trial which i was gonna install on an empty hdd i had laying around. So my OS hdd was disconnect for a couple of boots with the other drives still connected (including that extra empty drive i connected just to install x64). Actually im not sure i was using PE after that until i realized it didnt work (i did this 2005-12-07). But even if i did this shouldnt that just count as comp off, for that OS drive that wasnt connect, eh diffucult to explain.

Anyways thats all ive done. I am sort of leaning towards a buy but i thought i was gonna try this for a while and maybe see your other product emerge and see what that was about before. Thank you.

Cheers

Edit : About system restore, i dont even have that enabled anymore since i discovered TrueImage. Just a couple of images after install of XP and then after all apps and im set. Just to rule out that system restore option.

4. (from work)

Well i shouldnt written just a couple of mins after i got up from bed (and another 10 before i was off).

I was wrong when i said i didnt install anything recently. I DID install this in the last days.

Updated Samurize
    Rainlendar (just unzip and run)
    WindowBlinds 5 (installed and undeleted right away).

If that would matter......

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Hello,

Send an email to support and mention this, I think we can narrow down where the problem has occurred. It may just be the drive change has caused it somehow, and yes it would be difficult to explain since you plugged it back in, but thanks very much for your help ! :)

6. cheetah

Hi Gavin,

Yeah ill contact support, thanks for the help.

You know what, check below pic. A little "cleaning" and more and now im back on my track with that trial again (not reset), yay!

Ill contact support anyways in case you want to pinpoint this. Maybe its a rare one so really no need since this was one in a mill maybe, but its up to you/your people. I figure im gonna try to break it again just so i/you know whats wrong.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Thanks !

Well, I feel it must (must!) be a date calculation bug. We'll have to delay the next version a tad, theres a CPU usage issue fixed already in that build, need to check for a mem leak and test everything again..

8. rick722

rick722 Registered Member

I have also experienced the same problem with the PE evaluation ending prematurely. I installed PE on 3 separate computers (2 Win XP and 1 Win 98 ) less than a week ago. Well before the 30 day/50 execution limit was reached, the program said that my evaluation had ended.

I don't have System Restore enabled on the Win XP machines. I have not adjusted the time settings on any machine.

I have Adaware's Adwatch and AVG Antivirus installed on all machines.

I am also leaning toward buying the software, but would like to finish the evaluation before buying.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Rick

9. Hey rick722,

This happened to me additional times after i wrote my last response. I realized though that a simple uninstall / install will solve it (for the moment). Just uninstall, and probably reboot, and then install again should get you on that trial again.

I dont use Adwatch or AVG btw, just to say that isnt one matching factor between us.

10. rick722

rick722 Registered Member

Hello Cheetah,

Thanks for the info. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if it works.

Rick

11. WhatsNext

WhatsNext Guest

With Gavin working for Mischel (TrojanHunter) now, what's the future of this BTW?

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Gavin is still offering support so don't you worry.

13. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I have also experience this... I have only use it for several hours and then when I used and starts my pc the next day and tries to open Port Explorer it just says that my trial have already ended. What a surprised!!! :eek: I haven't "explored" it yet and well, I have to removed it coz I have no choice. What a disappointment. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.