Problem with rescue media builder

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jaaltonen, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaaltonen

jaaltonen Guest

After having problems with the boot disk i had created with my original version of trueimage 8 build 889 (in testing maybe 1 boot out of 10 succeeded, taking in average 30 minutes to get it working) I decided to upgrade to build 937 so that I could try making a better working version of a boot disk.
    However now the rescue media builder has stopped working altogether, or should I say that it starts burning the cd and then after a couple of minutes spits it out with a message: "Error burning the bootable cd-r/cd-rw". I've tried both "safe mode" and "full version" options. I've also tried using a cd-rw instead of cd-r, but no luck. Only difference I can spot is that when I created my original boot disk it was a 650mb version and now I've used 700mb disks.
    I also tried uninstalling trueimage and then installing the older version back, but the rescue media builder still won't work (I did choose the option to replace the newer files with older when asked during installation).
    Has anyone else had this problem ?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello jaaltonen,

The first thing I would do is revert to the same brand/version of CD media that you successfully used before. If that doesn't work then boot into Windows "Safe" mode (press F8 whilst Windows is booting) and try creating the rescue CD from there.

Regards

3. jaaltonen

jaaltonen Guest

Thanks for the quick answer Menorcaman.
    Unfortunately your suggestions didn't work for me. I don't have any more of those 650mb disks and the shops only stock 700mb disks nowadays. Safe mode didn't give any better results.

4. Menorcaman

Hmm. Do you have Roxio CD/DVD burning software installed? If so, disable the Drag-to-Disk feature prior to burning the rescue CD. Also, if you are running any form of third party packet writing software (e.g. Roxio Drag-to-Disk or Ahead InCD), I recommend that you disable Windows XP's built-in CD recording feature (open "My Computer", right click on your CD/DVD burner and select "Properties". Select the "Recording" tab and uncheck the tickbox titled "Enable CD recording on this drive").

Regards

5. jaaltonen

jaaltonen Guest

Problem solved.

Thanks to Menorcaman. You were on the right track when you suspected that my cd-burning software might be causing the problem. I was a little puzzled at first when I couldn't follow your advise on disabling the windows built-in cd-recording feature, but then realised that my cd-burning software (instant cd/dvd :cool: had hidden it somehow. When I couldn't find a (quick) way to disable the instant write feature of that program I decided to return to a point (with help of trueimage) where I didn't have either instant cd/dvd or trueimage installed. Then I installed Trueimage build 937 and successfully burned a bootdisk (with windows cd-recording feature) and tested it (and it was a 700mb disk so the size didn't matter).

My problems started when my original bootdisk started behaving whimsically and I couln't figure out why I wasn't alarmed when I first created and tested it. Now I realise that the bootdisk seems to work like a charm if it can find the program files from the hard-disk. So if you think that you might have to format drive c: it's better to install Trueimage to another partition, the bootdisk will find the files there (it's still possible to boot without those files present but it's very troublesome business, see my first posting).
    I actually tested this partition theory by installing trueimage to drive d: then formatting c: and finally returning to present day with the help of bootdisk and Trueimage (all within about 40 minutes) and it worked beautifully.

Anyway, thanks again to Menorcaman.

6. Menorcaman

Hi jaaltonen,

Glad that you finally managed to create a bootable rescue CD :).

However, your point about the rescue CD functioning more reliably if True Image is installed on a separate partition is difficult to comprehend. The "full" version of the bootable rescue CD is Linux based and contains a completely standalone implementation of True Image. It therefore doesn't require any external True Image files to function correctly. It's more likely the case that your hard drive had either some bad sectors or file system error. Reformatting the drive will have corrected those errors and allowed the rescue CD to boot and function correctly.

Regards

7. jaaltonen

jaaltonen Guest

I suppose that I described my original problem with the boot-cd inadequately.

Some days ago I decided to rebuild my system from ground up (I mean the program side of PC). I repartitioned my hard-disk and formatted (full format), then installed Windows and a set of drivers that I had found working well with my system. At this point I decided to take my first backup with my original trueimage boot-cd that I had burned and tested (successfully) before starting this "project".

What happened when I tried booting with the cd: At first I got several "failed to boot from cd, press enter to try again" messages and when I finally got to the Acronis logo screen the program hung there for ages and then I got a message "failed to load Linux kernel" and I had to start all over again finally succeeding in making a backup (after several attempts).

I decided to persist however thinking that I'll be mostly using the program within Windows anyway. Then I added another layer of equipment and programs, took another backup with the boot-cd and had the same problems.

When I got to the point that I had installed Trueimage again I thought that if there was a program upgrade available it might solve the problem with the boot-cd and that's how this thread got started.

So now the question is why the Linux kernel had problems loading ?

I have an Athlon 64 with Asus motherboard and 1gb memory, sata hard-disk (it's one of those Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo packages).

Well this isn't exactly a burning question for me anymore as I now have two working versions of boot-cd and they boot into the program interface within a couple of minutes (and even with problems the boot-cd works eventually) but if anyone has suggestions how to fix the problem should it rise again I'm happy to hear from you.

8. Menorcaman

Very strange I must say. I'm afraid I can shed little light on why the rescue CD should start misbehaving after you repartitioned/formatted your HD and reinstalled Windows and your applications. Normally, the thing that suddenly stops the rescue CD from booting/functioning correctly is a change to the previous hardware configuration or motherboard BIOS settings.

Regards

9. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I've not tried creating a rescue disk with TI, but I would try the following:

If TI can, create a .ISO file for the rescue image, then use a product such as Roxio's Rasy Media Creator or Nero to create the rescue disc from the .ISO image.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jaaltonen,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Regarding the problem with Bootable Rescue CD created using build 889 of Acronis True Image 8.0 which as I have understood sometimes boot and sometimes not, I should say that it is rather hard to find out what exactly has caused this problem. However, I'm inclined to believe that this particular rescue disc has been physically damaged in some way, since that is the most probable reason for such kind of problem.

Please let me know if the problem appears again. I'll certainly try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that Acronis True Image 9.0 does not allow you to create an ISO image of a Bootable Rescue CD. However, we can always provide you with the download link for the corresponding ISO image.

If you want to obtain such link then please submit a request for technical support describing the issue and containing the information confirming your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, copy of invoice, scan copy of receipt, etc.) along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. jaaltonen

jaaltonen Guest

Menorcaman wrote:
    "Normally, the thing that suddenly stops the rescue CD from booting/functioning correctly is a change to the previous hardware configuration or motherboard BIOS settings."

Well maybe this is it. I burned my first boot-cd earlier this autumn and my pc was serviced and bios upgraded after that. I did check the bios settings afterwards and they seemed to be the same, but maybe just the upgrade in itself caused the problem.

Anyway at the moment my boot-cd is working just fine and I'm a happy fellow. I'll be back if problems reappear.

And thanks again for your interest and help in solving my problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.