New build Trueimage 2311 out

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JamesUSA, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesUSA

JamesUSA Registered Member

2. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

it's not showing on the updates page on the acronis web site yet though...

3. JamesUSA

I had automatic monitoring active for those particular pages in order to learn when an update is released. I was surprised to find that the release was announced elsewhere today, and no updates yet on the Acronis site itself. However, I am downloading build 2311 now from the File Forum and hope it settles all the big issues. We'll see.

James

4. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

It's a trial version.

5. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

This is not any of my business, but...

Given all that has gone before...

Shouldn't you wait until Acronis releases it?

6. Pennhaven

Pennhaven Guest

I downloaded it but stopped there. The file version still is 9.0.0.2302. So either the information that this is a new build is bogus or the file version was not updated properly. In either case I am going not going to install it.

7. JamesUSA

I don't seem to understand your comment, i.e. wait until Acronis releases it.

For the moment, I am assuming that the means by which the File Forum announced it today is because someone at Acronis released version 2311 to them for public distribution/awareness.

I have been waiting to try Acronis TrueImage 9 for some weeks, and reading all the bad feedback in this forum. Many people seemed to do ok with 2302, and so I think it would be timely to finally try this version 2311.

I purchased version 8.937 very recently, and am entitled to upgrade for just 29.00..... So if this version 2311 is reasonably stable..... the time may be right.

8. JamesUSA

I installed this version from File Forum that is marked there as being "build 2311." During installation it shows up as version 2302....and after its all done.....for example in Add Remove programs it is identified as version 2302.

I don't know what version it really is. It's crazy. It seems that TrueImage 9 brings a lot of confusion to most places it touches on the Net. Now I wonder who identified it as 2311, and why, when handing it over to the File Forum folks.

In addition to the above confusion, I decided to click the "you can upgrade to TI 9 for $29.00" link in my account. I thought that if 2311 was now out, buying the upgrade at discount may be worth it. However, I was charged the full $49.00 price by the page I was sent to from the '$29.00 upgrade price" link. That is a clear misrepresentation - promising a $29.00 upgrade then charging $49 for it. I have rather sour and uncertain feelings about the entire dealings with Acronis and TrueImage.

James

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Who knows but I suspect it had to do with someone misinterpreting the release of the GERMAN build 2311 as release of a new English build ! There are several threads in this forum discussing 2311 as the most recent GERMAN build.

Did you try the link in the email offer, assuming you got one, or did you go ahead with the $49 purchase. Perhaps Acronis Sales Support is willing to refund you $20 ?

10. arf1410

arf1410 Registered Member

James - if you purchased 8.937 after mid september, you are entitled to a FREE upgrade to 9.0

11. JamesUSA

Thank you arf1410, and to others who have offered this insight.

I have filed a complaint and request for reversal of charges with Acronis Support. I hope they will correct this immediately.

As it stands, today I paid $49.99 after clicking a $29.00 upgrade offer link from Acronis. . . for an upgrade that should have been clearly marked for me as FREE.

In addition, I paid that money after noting the Acronis BUY NOW now button right next to the new TrueImage build 2311 mentioned above....at fileforum.betanews.com. And that was not even 2311 apparently, as what I downloaded was version 2302!!

That chain of events sure seems to reflect a degree of sloppiness by Acronis in some aspects of these matters. If I am entitled to a free upgrade, why doesn't my list of upgrade entitlements just say that - FREE - instead of $29.00?? If I am allegedly entitled to an upgrade by clicking a $29.00 link, then why not take me to a webpage mentioning that offered $29.00 instead of a $49.99 price? That chain of (mis)representations leads one to assume that in the end Acronis will somehow adjust the $49.99 downward...... yet they don't. It does not seem like a very straightforward style of handling customer money and expectations. More clarity, frankness and clear marking please!

12. thebigdintx

You are only entitled to the free upgrade if you purchased the prior version within 30 days before the new release....once the new version has been released by Acronis, no more free upgrade....also, the $29 charge is to upgrade from version 8 which you purchased to version 9. if you only had the trial version of 8, then even if you click the upgrade link, you have to purchase the software for $49.....the free trial version does not entitle you to a $29 upgrade because you have never purchased the software in the first place....

13. JamesUSA

The version of 8 that I have was not a trial and is registered. I would think at the least a $29.00 upgrade amount would apply, and that when clicking on the $29.00 upgrade entitlement link..... the charge would in fact be $29 and not $49.

Thank you for your time and comments.

James

14. arf1410

Sorry theBigdintx, your info is wrong, if you search this forum, Acronis has clearly stated that you are entitled to a free upgrade with an 8.0 purchase ANYTIME after 30 days before 9.0 came out. In fact, as has been pointed out in this forum some stores are still selling 8.0, and Acronis has said they will upgrade for free. That is obviously a cheaper / easier solution for them than recalling all the merchandise that is on store shelves

15. arf1410

I am not sophisticated enough to insert links or quotes but Acronis Support wrote this in this forum on Nov 21st...

"Please also note that we do provide free upgrades for those people who have purchased the boxed version of Acronis True Image 8.0 after the release of a new version."

16. thebigdintx

Here is the post from acronis on the 21st regarding this issue....it appears they make an exception if you purchased the boxed version 8 after the release of version 9.....

"Please be aware that our Upgrade Policy regarding the downloadable versions of Acronis True Image 8.0 is to provide free upgrades to customers who purchased the software 30 days prior to the release of a new version, and/or customers who have purchased software maintenance or a site license that includes software maintenance.

Please also note that we do provide free upgrades for those people who have purchased the boxed version of Acronis True Image 8.0 after the release of a new version.

In case you have purchased the boxed version of Acronis True Image 8.0, please submit a request for technical support. Describe your issue and provide the information confirming your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, scan copy of receipt, copy of invoice, order confirmation letter, etc.) along with the link to this thread. We will certainly provide you with the free upgrade.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 115
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis Customer Service Department"

17. arf1410

I assume it would be impossible to purchase the unboxed (ie downloaded) 8.0 after the release of 9.0, as Acronis would no longer make 8.0 available for downlaoad after 9.0 is released, therefore unless I am missing something, anyone who purchased 8.0 anytime after about mid sept would get a free upgrade?

18. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

James, having just purchased quite a few Acronis licenses today did you not check during the ordering stages what you were ordering or are you saying that all the screens during the ordering process told you 29.99 yet your credit card has been charged 49.99? If that's the case I guess I'll have to wait for the company credit card bill to arrive ;)

Fedorov.

19. JamesUSA

I would summarize the screen information thusly:

1. In my Acronis account, looking at my registered products, there was a link stating Upgrade to 9.0 now for $29.00.......

2. After clicking that link, a new page resulted indicating a purchase would be at $49.99.

Even though that second page initiated a transaction involving $49., I proceeded to complete that transaction under the false assumption that..... since they began by offering a $29 purchase if I click that link.....that somehow an offset would be made to my purchase at $49.. Right up to the end of the transaction I kept looking for a line that says "It's $49, but now we'll reduce it to $29 in accord with your special upgrade offer.....etc."

I click the final time, concluding the purchase without ever seeing the $29 reference again. I did so thinking the final, subseqent set of screens would some how reconcile the $29 offer and the $49 figure. That never happened. I then checked the digital river receipt that was emailed, thinking I'd see the offset there in some way, but no.

I think it is confusing to start with a link that says "click here to buy at $29."...... and then be presented with inconsistent screens thereafter that are silent as to the initial $29 offer that started it all.

Why can't they set that up so that if you click the $29 link..... their offer.... all the subsequent pages speak in terms of a $29 transaction, or at least reconcile the different figures...o_O

Strikes me as a bit careless.

20. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Strikes me too as 'a bit careless'. Why on earth would you proceed with a credit card purchase where the screen you were looking at quite clearly said that you were spending $49.99 and you only wanted to spend $29? Give us a break mate.

And you carry on about 2311 being on the File Forum website and somehow blame Acronis!! Acronis is not entirely blameless over the whole ATI9 episode, but let's be fair!:cool:

21. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Hmmm well I also clicked the 29.99 upgrade link and added it to my basket, added some other Acronis stuff to my basket and I checked that it said 29.99 right through the process which it did....

22. JamesUSA

I don't dispute that I was careless by assuming Acronis would sell me the upgrade for $29 after clicking on a link that offered that result.....and by not being more skeptical of the $49 references without offset.

In spite of my own carelessness, the upgrade should not be sold for $49, that's wrong. It's confusing to have a link that states absolutely that by clicking it one will be buying for $29....... yet that offer just "disappears" into pages at a different price, and that's wrong. If Acronis offers $29 in a link, then substitutes a higher price without explanation, it isn't unreasonable to assume that the inconsistency would be resolved by an offset in my credit card charge - automatically - as part of the deal.

Anyway, on to better things and sharper dealings. Thanks for your time and comments.

James

23. JamesUSA

24. JamesUSA

Let's be fair about which issue? I began my thread by saying I "assume" that the FileForum listed this Acronis TrueImage item as 2311 after being handed that item by Acronis. I don't *know* how it got listed like that, and I said I didn't. But it is there, it does say "2311". The vast majority of listed programs there are accurately identified, and are handed that forum by vendors. It isn't unreasonable to assume that mistake originated with Acronis, although it might not have...... The mere fact that I mentioned what I found there, and that I was confused by it....doesn't really add up to "unfair" in my book.

Ciao.

25. JamesUSA

In my case, I have a screen capture of the Acronis web page offering me the upgrade for $29 if I click that link for upgrade. I have also a screen capture of subsequent pages and charges showing $49.00. None of those pages explain *what happened* to the initial $29 offer. The higher price was substituted for the lower initial price without explanation, and no adjustment ever occurred. That's confusing, and that's all I know so far. I have sent these items in for Acronis to review so they can assess for themselves what is right and wrong.

James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.