TI 9.0 Build 2303 - Unable to Remove Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Menorcaman, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

TI 9.0 Build 2302 - Unable to Remove Secure Zone

Two internal SATA drives. Disk 1 is partitioned as C: (System boot partition) and D: (Page File), whilst disk 2 contains a single partition E: (backup).

Running TI 9 Build 2302 in Windows mode I can create and remove a Secure Zone (SZ) on disk 2 without a problem.

However, although I can create a SZ on disk 1 (using either partition C: or D:), the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard fails to remove it, even though it says that the operation has been completed. Note that I didn't activate the Startup Recovery Manager at any time. Tried reinstalling Build 2302 but the problem remains.

The only way I can get TI 9's Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to remove a SZ from disk 1 is after booting into the Linux based rescue environment.

I find that this is specific to TI 9 because, after restoring a pre TI 9 image and repeating the exercise, TI 8 Build 937 successfully creates and removes a SZ from disk 1 whilst in Windows mode.

Anyone else come across this problem?

Regards

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: TI 9.0 Build 2302 - Unable to Remove Secure Zone

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software and for all the provided information.

I have forwarded this issue to our Develpment Team and will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days, I apologize in advance for any delay with the response.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Please be aware that we do not recommend creating more then one Acronis Secure Zone.

Actually, Acronis True Image should prohibit creating more then one Acronis Secure Zone, but the current build of Acronis True Image 9.0 does not have such capability. This is a known problem and it will be fixed in the near builds of Acronis True Image 9.0.

As for deleting Acronis Secure Zone, please use the following well-known workaround:

- Use Windows Disk Management to delete both Acronis Secure Zones;

This will create unallocated on your hard drives;

- Create Acronis Secure Zone utilizing the unallocated space of the first hard drive;

- Use Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard to delete Acronis Secure Zone adding it's space to any other partition;

- Repeat previous two steps for the second hard drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Menorcaman

Hello Alexey,

Apologies if I didn't make myself clear but I never created more than one Secure Zone at a time. Hopefully the following summary clarifies my previous post:

- I cannot remove a SZ from Disk 1 (whether the single SZ had been created on partition C: or D:) if using the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard whilst in Windows mode.

- I can remove the SZ from Disk 1 via the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard only after booting from TI rescue CD.

- I can remove the SZ from Disk 2 via the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard, whether I'm in Windows mode or the boot rescue mode.

- TI 8.0 Build 937 can successfuly remove a SZ from either Disk 1 or Disk 2 using the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard from within Windows or after booting from the rescue CD.

I will try your method of deleting the SZ via Windows Disk Management to create unallocated space, creating a SZ into it and then try removing it via the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard. I'll let you know how I got on.

Kind regards

5. Menorcaman

Hello again Alexey,

Well, I tried your workaround but the situation remained the same. Namely, I could only remove the SZ from Disk 1 (and reclaim the space) via the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard if I booted into TI's rescue mode.

Kind regards

6. petieboy

petieboy Registered Member

*Bump* for a solution or update. I'm having the exact same problem.

7. mustang

mustang Developer

Hello Menorcaman,

You are correct about this. I discovered this problem and reported it to Acronis the first day build 2302 was released. I find it hard to believe they have not released an update to fix this issue by now. It has been almost a month now.

They seem to be having a very bad time managing the Secure Zone. You will also discover that you can not create a Secure Zone and activate the Recovery Manager all in one operation running from Windows. When you ask the program to do this, it will create the Secure Zone but not activate it. You have to run the program a second time to activate the Recovery Manager. At least it is a small improvement over build 2289. That build would remove the Secure Zone, but would not allocate the space back to the partition you told it to. You ended up with unallocated space in place of the Secure Zone.

Just be glad you do not have a system that can not boot from the Rescue CD.

mustang

8. Shraddhan

Shraddhan Registered Member

I also had a problem in removing Acronis Secure Zone with build 2302.

I set up the Acronis Secure Zone on my external USB hard drive. This initially had the drive letter K. Due to some hardware problems, the various partitions had their letters changed, my Acronis Disk Zone now being in the same place on the same drive, but with letter M.

From this time on, Acronis Secure Zone seemed to have a hidden backup on it. The zone was 80GB, and my backup took 38MB to 40MB. Although I had set TI to make incremental backups, it was now making full backups, presumably because the Secure Zone was almost full. (One current backup of about 40GB plus a hidden one of about 38GB on an 80GB partition, and TI9 indicated that SZ was almost full.)

So I decided to delete the Acronis Secure Zone. Twice, three times. It was still there, even though TI9 gave the impression that it had removed it. In the end I used Acronis Disk Director to delete it.

I thought that I had started a new thread on the above problem, but it doesn't seem to have appeared.

Shraddhan.

9. normacap

normacap Registered Member

I too have the same problem with build 2302.

I've got 2 days left on the trial and wasn't able to do a successful backup. So, I decided to remove the Secure Zone and uninstall, then reinstall. However, I cannot remove the Secure Zone. I use the wizard, and indicate the partition to add the space back to. It begins, then indicates success after 3 seconds, yet things remain the same. I can reduce the size of the Secure Zone, but can't remove it at all.
    My troubles started when trying to backup my boot drive C: to an internal SATA drive, F: (which is where the Secure Zone is). I got the following error codes, consistently:
    Error
    Module 1
    Error Code 502 (0x101F6)
    "Operation with partition "0-0" was terminated | Details:[Image corrupted (0x70020)]
    Error
    Module 100
    Error Code 5(0x64005)
    "Operation has completed with errors"

So, I decided to uninstall the application and reinstall. However, I can't remove the Secure Zone and I can't get rid of the startup Recovery Manager.

Help! I want my F:\ drive restored to the way it was, without the Secure Zone. I don't want to use another partitioning program!

Thanks

10. Menorcaman

Hello normacap,

I'm not sure about the functionality of the trial version but have you tried booting from the Acronis rescue CD and removing the Secure Zone from within the Linux based rescue environment? That certainly works for me.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. How come these non-hardware specific problems manage to get through Acronis' internal pre-release testing (the inability to image very large files is another example) o_O

Regards

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  11. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

I often wondered the same. I now think that Acronis' beta-testers are all asleep at the wheel. When beta-testers get complacent they begin to take for granted that what used to work still does and what's new usually works so why subject it to the arcane methodologies a beta-tester may use when fresh and enthusiastic. Burned out beta-testers maybe just like the freebies?

Apparently, Acronis' developers don't have a broad selection of current hardware upon which to test their latest software designs or the vast majority of TrueImage's annoying flaws would never get released. Then again, I'm hoping they try to test what they develop before they release it. Although, lately..........

12. normacap

Well, Menorcaman, your suggestion did the trick. I was able to successfully remove the SecureZone only by booting from the disc.
    I have since made full backups with successful verifications (no corruption) to the same secondary SATA drive so this tells me there must be a problem with Acronis' implementation of SecureZone in TI9.
    I've also made successful full backups with verification to an external USB 2.0 drive.
    Overall, I like ATI 9.0, despite the bug. Thank goodness for trial periods, though. I don't think the product is quite ready for prime time just yet.

13. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

If you encounter the above problem then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Alexey Popov. Attach the collected files to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. I'll forward this information to our Testing Team and they will certainly do their best in order to find out the reason for this problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

14. normacap

Alexey
    I can't submit a technical request via your website because I am not a registered user, having encountered these problems during the trial. I want to purchase the product, but I want it to work first!:oops:
    Instead I submitted the information via email to support@acronis.com.

Thank you!
    *puppy*

15. Menorcaman

Hello Alexey,

The two requested files and a link to this thread sent to support@acronis.com for your attention.

Kind regards
    Tom

16. stevee

stevee Registered Member

I've had the same problem, unable to remove secure zone in Windows with Build 2302. I used Menorcaman's 'boot from Linux CD' workaround. It removed the SZ and seems to have also removed the Recovery Manager. However, the space that was occupied by the SZ is now unavailable. I'd like to recover that space, preferably by restoring it to the partition it belonged to before I ran the Secure Zone wizard. Any suggestions?

17. Menorcaman

Hello Stevee,

You probably selected the drive rather than the partition to return the space to. If you don't own some form of partition management software, then the procedure detailed below should recover the unallocated space:

1. Boot from from the TI rescue disk and use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to create a temporary Secure Zone (SZ).
    2. On the "Disk Selection" screen select the DRIVE that contains the unallocated space and click "Next".
    3. On the next screen, again select the DRIVE that contains the unallocated space and then click "Next".
    4. Create a SZ of the maximum size available by moving the slider to the right accordingly. Click "Next".
    5. Select the option "Do not activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" and then click "Next" followed by "Proceed".
    6. Once the SZ has been created then, still from within the Linux based boot rescue environment, use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to remove the SZ.
    7. In the "Redistributing Space" screen ensure you select the PARTITION that you want to give the space to and then click "Next" followed by "Proceed".
    8. After finally rebooting into Windows, right click on "My Computer", select "Manage" > "Disk Management" and check that the unallocated space has been reassigned to your chosen partition/disk.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.