Wormguard Problem with Incredimail

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by worldcitizen, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I began using Incredimail and I found that Wormguard doesn't allow some menu extensions to function. It took me ages to find the problem by installing my applications 1 by 1 then checking to see if Incredimail worked. After installing Wormguard the functions stopped working.

I disabled Wormguard but still IM would not work. Even uninstalling WG would not work. I had to do a System Restore to get IM working again which leads me to believe some WG installation files are causing the conflict, not the hook because with the hook disabled and Incredimail in the exceptions list it still would not work. Even uninstalling WG IM wouldn't work so whatever files WG installed either overwrote or replaced files needed by IM I think.

Anyone have any idea what to do? I want to keep IM because I love it especially now that NOD32 can scan it. But unless there is a fix my WG is gathering dust.

Dave

2. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi worldcitizen,

I use both Wormguard and Incredimail, and have had no problems with IM.
    I looked at the default extensions that are blocked by wormguard, (hta, jse, sha, shs,vbe) and none of them match the extensions IM uses (to the best of my knowledge).
    What extensions aren't working?

Regards,
    Douglas

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You might want to try reverting to the standard default extensions - especially if you've added all the "extra" ones to be had that have been noted elsewhere - but actually, I'd lose IM first (but that's just me).

"What is wrong with sending HTML or MIME messages?"
    http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

Pete

4. Douglas

Douglas Guest

I'm steering 1000 miles away from this one! :D
    I promise, spy1, that I'll use calypso or pegasus if I ever email to you. :)

Regards,
    Douglas

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

lol!

Douglas, I appreciate it.

"Different strokes for different folks" is good, too! Pete

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Since im not familiar with Incredimail, I hope the forum can help :) It shouldn't be a problem if some users have it working fine o_O

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi worldcitizen,

Have you tried installing WormGuard first and Incredimail after that?

Regards,

Pieter

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I have WG for ages and IM i ever installed but never use it again, but also trying now i don't see any problems, all is working for me, both WG and IM.
    On win98se.
    So it's hard to tell what could be the cause!
    Maybe because i first installed WG and IM years afterwards.
    Not sure which functionallity you miss in IM?

9. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi,
    I also had wormguard installed first, so I'll bet Pieter is onto something.

Douglas

10. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I wouldn't be to sure of that Douglas. :)
    Did it in both following orders myself and never had problems with Incredimail.

But who knows?
    I always feel, if you have a choice, you install the security apps, that have a bigger impact on your system, first.

Regards,

Pieter

11. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

:D My 2 cents worth ... Wormguard is not the problem but Incredimail certainly is. :( The following may shed some light as to why Wormguard [great software] doesn't like Incredimail. Here is the URL to Fred Langa's website regarding Incredimail. Fred Langa hosts a TV Tech show so would consider his opinion reputable.

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-10-10.htm#6

Here is another tidbit from another forum about Incredimail. This poster's opinion is also trusted - a very knowledgeable dude.

thejoker
    Member posted 24-01-2003 14:16
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A question arose in another thread whether Incredimail contained spyware.
    I've examined the code embedded in two Incredimail emails that were sent to me. They both contained "web bugs". These web bugs provide the following information to a server (presumably operated by Incredimail) the
    moment a recipient opens the email:

-date, time
    -recipient's IP Address
    -type of browser used by recipient
    -email user id of sender (e.g. if sender's address is jim @isp.net, the text "jim" is sent
    -other characters that convey unknown information. These characters are unique to each email.

Accordingly Incredimail is provided with details regarding the sender and recipients of emails sent by its users.

No more Incredimail emails please
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I found the following on the Tucows website about Incredimail:

Name Rating Popularity License Supported platforms
    Incredimail Xe
    Adware - 98 NT 2k Me XP

These programs don't cost a penny. The developers support their programs by placing advertisements inside their programs. If you appreciate the work done by these dedicated authors, do them a favor and check out their
    sponsors. The majority of adware authors have advertisement-free versions of their software available for a small fee. The ads serve as a revenue source
    for the author, which allows them to stretch their program and update more frequently. A few companies are frequently associated with Adware programs:
    Cydoor, Radiate, Web3000 and Aureate.
    Full Name: Aureate Websearch
    Type: Adware
    Also Known as: Radiate
    Official Description: Probably one of the first real adwares that started the whole craze. Inserted banner advertsing into freeware and shareware applications. Profiled surfing habits and sent information back to the home server without permission.
    Comment: Defunct- No longer supported by its creators.
    Information URL: http:// www.aureate.com/
    Properties: a.. Show advertisments
    Full Name: Cydoor Websearch
    Type: Adware
    Official Description: The Cydoor Technologies delivers highly targeted advertising directly to desktops in advertising enabled software applications. Over 2,000 software products are distributed for free to users who agree to accept advertising and to provide Cydoor with detailed demographic information. This highly successful online and offline advertising solution now reaches over 10 million active desktops, providing advertisers with the power to target virtually any demographic audience.
    Cydoor's SoftClick Optimization Engine ensures that advertising is delivered to the precise target audience.
    Properties:
    a.. Cydoor stays resident in background
    b.. Stealth: hides itself from user
    c.. Show advertisments

My comment: You might want to check your registry and see is Cydoor is listed there. Rid yourself of Incredimail and keep Wormguard. :D

12. Douglas

Douglas Guest

These spyware companies are not associated with Incredimail. They certainly are not on my computer.

As far as the webbugs, can anyone else confirm that?

Regards,
    Douglas

13. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Well, I don't have the savvy to confirm web bugs but read Fred Langa last paragraph here about HTML and web-borne security threats. I place Incredimail in the same class as Hotbar and their cutsey animations they provided to enhance Outlook Express .... :rolleyes:

Well here is a bit more for you to read - see what these people have to say about Incredimail.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Incredimail+software+problems&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I know first hand that Incredimail will eventually take over your computer whereby it doesn't matter who your primary mail is as the default, Incredimail will channel all messages into its own box. Eventually your primary email will cease to function. Also, can you configure your AV program to work with Incredimail?? My neighbor installed Spamweasel and Incredimail apparently flashed all sorts of questions ... hmmm why would it raise a fusso_Oo_O She also had a problem with configuring Norton AV to work with Incredimail.

The following is taken off the Fred Langa website re Incredimail's EULA, see below:

"Any confidential, secret or proprietary information or other material submitted or sent to IncrediMail, including without limitation via any Message sent by You through the Service, Site, or IncrediMail's physical mail and e-mail addresses, or in any other way, will be deemed to be not confidential or secret. By submitting or sending information or other
    material to IncrediMail or by posting information on any portion of the Service you (a) Warrant that you have all rights of any kind to the material and that to the best of your knowledge no other party has any rights to the
    material; and (b) Grant IncrediMail an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable license to use, reproduce, display, perform, modify, transmit and distribute the material, and you further agree that IncrediMail is free to use any ideas, know-how, concepts or techniques you send us or post on the Service for any purpose, without any compensation to you or any other person."
    I'm not a reactionary person by nature but the implication of that paragraph for the average user is staggering. I always tell my users to read every agreement carefully but of course many don't, this agreement is especially long and loaded with legalspeak to further guarantee that the average person won't read it all. People are ultimately responsible for
    their own actions
    but I believe that this particular company goes way too far in misleading people about their ultimate goal and someone needs to shine a light on them and make people aware of what's really going on, at least then they can make an informed choice about using the service. I'm a subscriber to several technical newsletters and I'm writing to all of them. Thank you for your time, love your newsletter. --- Ed McPhail "

Some of that language is similar to that used by other mail services and ISPs to get around copyright issues that can innocently arise when proprietary information is sent through a third party--- for example, it's not uncommon for an ISP to want to ensure they're not violating a copyright if they merely store a copy of your mail on their servers while it's being
    processed.

But I can't think of any innocent reason for the phrasing that states "...
    IncrediMail is free to use any ideas, know-how, concepts or techniques you... post on the Service for any purpose, without any compensation to you or any other person." Maybe there is a perfectly inoffensive reason for
    including that, but it eludes me.

There's also another reason not to like IncrediMail, too: See next item.

Click to email this item to a friend
    http://www.langa.com/sendit2.htm

return to top of page

7) IncrediMail Problems (Part Two)
    There's another reason not to like IncrediMail, too: It's HTML-based, which not only opens the door to all manner of web-borne security threats that are absent from text-based email, but also adds tons of baggage to outbound IncrediMail email. This extra baggage can clog the inboxes of recipients of
    these mails, even if the recipients aren't IncrediMail users."

Adapted quote and URL tags

14. worldcitizen

I have the paid version but that's not what I'm on about. I can't use it with Wormguard at all. I installed WG 1st but that made no difference. The 2 programs don't work together at all on my OS (XP Home).

Uninstalling made no difference - I had to do a System Restore to get IM working again even though I put it in the WG exception list. IM has no problems working with any other programs - only WG.

Any ideas Gavin?

Dave

15. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I installed WG on XP Professional with Incredimail for a friend without any problems.
    Dolf

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

As far as webbugs would be there i closed them in the firewall and at times i check if they are there at all with bugnosis, but i don't see a relationship with IM.
    (will check if i receive some IMs again)

Maybe first install WG, not enable it's protection yet, install IM, close it, back to WG, enable the protection and test that, back to IM, try it.
    Some systems are individually sensitive for the WG protection with other installs after that and prefer you to close that part temporary till after the new install.
    Supposing better results with WG4, all rebuild from scratch, soon to be betatested we hope.

I'm no XP user, did the Home edition have a SP too which might help or cause problems?
    Does WG itself run fine with and without IM?

17. worldcitizen

Hi Jooske,

I'm using XP Home SP1. IM works fine until WG is installed even with the protection off.

I'm not the only one who uses IM - there are millions of users and I don't think registered users of IM would be too happy about losing IM in order to use WG so it is better this problem gets solved soon.

Dave

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I meant only disable WG for the moment of installing IM, after it should work again without problems.

The problem is at the moment there are so many people who have both WG and IM on XP without any problem, so it's hard to know where to look at.
    Is it that IM doesn't work at all or one or more functions in it, are menu options greyed out or such things?
    Are there significant differences between IM free and the paid version?
    The other posters have looked at special file types/extensions which are not blocking those used by IM; did it help if you exclude IM as a whole from WG protection? If so there could be searched further what it can be in your situation.

19. DolfTraanberg

As I have stated before, I have installed Wormguard on XP with Incredimail (free version), without any problems. So I think it's not a general issue caused by WG.
    Dolf

20. worldcitizen

Thanks everyone for being so patient.

I've had IM working perfectly for about 5 days now. I've done a System Restore just now & I'll install WG and see what happens. At first I won't turn on the protection, just install it.

I'll let you know what happened. Be back in a minute.

Dave

21. worldcitizen

OK. I installed it & IM still works. I haven't turned on the protection or licensed it yet. So far the only difference seems to be that before WG was installed 1st. This time WG has been installed AFTER IM.

I still have to get it running and see after reboot if all is well.

Dave

22. worldcitizen

As soon as I installed the protection IM stopped functioning as before.

Any ideas?

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Just a question: did you ask IM as well if they have any ideas?
    I thank you for your patience testing things out as well.
    I am thinking of some file extension blocked by WG, but on the other hand it should give a warning, in case you configured WG to warn for a blocked file.
    Did you?
    And does IM not function at all anymore or some buttons in it only like the other time?

So if you first install WG and IM after, IM doesn't function at all, no matter if the WG protection is turned on or off.
    When you first install IM and after WG, IM functions but stops the moment you turn on the WG protection.
    This is why i think of either a file both are fighting for or a blocked file extension.
    Hope the WG and IM developers together have some ideas!

24. DolfTraanberg

I think Jooske made a good point with suggesting installing IM after WG.
    Install WG and turn Protection on after that install IM.
    I'm sorry you have to go through so much trouble and hope this will solve it.
    Dolf

25. worldcitizen

IM Doesn't work anymore. Uninstalling the protection didn't help. Adding IM to the exception list didn't help either. Uninstalling WG didn't help either. Files are either being replaced, damaged or corrupted or versions changed I feel. Wg is much older and may be sharing the same dll's as IM but if it changes the version to one that IM can't work with then that might explain the problem.

I'll just have to do a System Restore to get back IM.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.