TI9 2302: before/after commands are broken worse than in 2289

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MKairys, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

This is a continuation of my previous post TI9 2289: before/after commands are broken worse than in 2277

I repeated the tests I described in the previous post:

I created a File/Folder backup task named "Test" that backs up the files C:\test1.txt and C:\test2.txt to C:\test.tib. I made it run a before-backup command and tested it with a batch file and a simple program.

The batch file C:\Local\Bin\test.bat contained:

Code:
    echo Arg is '%1'
    pause
    exit 0
    The program C:\Local\Bin\test.exe was compiled from:

Code:
    #include <windows.h>
    main( int argc, char* argv[] )
    {
      char msg[64];

if ( argc > 1 )
        sprintf( msg, "Arg is '%s'", argv[1] );
      else
        sprintf( msg, "No arg" );

MessageBox( 0, msg, "Test", MB_OK );
      exit(0);
    }
    I did not supply arguments to the commands. I see the new build now has a place to provide arguments, but I didn't even get far enough to test this new feature.

In both cases TI9 failed to run the commands, which at least ran correctly with build 2289. The log error in both cases was "Failed to create pipe". Here FYI is one of the log entries:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <log build="2302" product="AcronisÂ*TrueÂ*Image" uuid="DA1DA573-4E18-4035-B3B1-0DE865BB013F" version="9.0">
    	<event code="2" id="1" message="The &quot;Test&quot; operation started" module="100" time="1130501638" type="2" />
    	<event code="11" id="2" message="Priority changed to Low priority" module="100" time="1130501638" type="3" />
    	<event code="1016" id="3" message="Failed to create pipe" module="1" time="1130501638" type="4" />
    	<event code="133" id="4" message="Execution of user command C:\Local\Bin\test.exe failed. Error code: 1" module="100" time="1130501638" type="4" />
    	<event code="5" id="5" message="Operation has completed with errors." module="100" time="1130501639" type="4" />
    </log>

The task ran correctly when I removed the command.

In addition there seems to be a new GUI problem. The Operation Progress window which came up when I started the task remained up, regardless of whether the task succeeded or failed.

Let me say that I think Acronis Support is doing a wonderful job. They respond quickly and follow up consistently, even when some of our posts range from unprofessional to downright rude. However, judging from my experience with this one product feature, Acronis Development or QA or whatever is doing a terrible job. Again speaking about just this one feature, each of three builds has been worse than the one before and has introduced new bugs. We call this "regression".

Acronis support, would you please ask your developers or QA personnel how they tested this feature? Can you possibly give me an example of a user command that works?

This is of course very disappointing and frustrating to me. (I hardly ever use italics :)) And I repeat, this is just one product feature, and very minor one at that.

I am endlessly grateful to the contributors to this forum who are diligently testing the features that really matter, the ability to back up and restore images and files. I think Acronis should find some way to reward or at least acknowledge them. I have to say I have more confidence in their testing than that of Acronis.

2. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

You mean like offer TI9 users (testers) FREE upgrades to TI10 when it becomes available no doubt next year? :) I am being serious Acronis, I think all of your TI9 customers deserve this at least.

We do appreciate the support given in here, and... being a forum you will see mainly problems rather than things working correctly.

Please keep up the good work everyone.

Fedorov.

3. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

... so we can test it ... ;) ;)

4. nurquhar

nurquhar Registered Member

o_O I have exactly the same problems !! I only just bought True Image a fwe days ago, I made a nice little batch file to do some file managment before doing a backup and now I've install version 2309 to get round the a previous crashing problem in 2289 the backup job fails and I get errors about pipes and things. Argggghhhhh.

Neil

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

We need diagnostic information from you. Our Development Team is working on this problem and any additional information will be usefull, please save the log file and send it to Acronis Support along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. Anon2

Anon2 Guest

I'm starting to lose faith in Acronis as well. I managed to restore a partition using v289 but am very reluctant to upgrade to the newest version if it is still buggy.

I think Acronis should really start thinking about doing something to restore faith or at least alleviate some of the angst amongst it's faithful users who purchased TI9 even when it was obviously not ready to be released. At the very least, a free copy of TI8 that is reliable should not be too much to ask. You've provided that to some users ... though one or two had to use very strong words to get it. I'd rather not do that...

Keep up the development but honestly - it's better to stick with something that works than implement something new that doesn't.

7. upurz

upurz Guest

Well guys.... when Symantec eventually buys out Acronis then there will only be one game in town. You think you have problems with Acronis supporto_O Try Symantec's support one day.

8. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

LOL...

Symantec + Acronis... That would be interesting. Much like Adobe and Macromedia or Roxio and Sonic. Integrating into one program will more than likely prove hard to do...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.