Nod32 Email Scanning - New User

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jreiz, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jreiz

jreiz Registered Member

I would like to configure all my email accounts, which in themselves have some degree of their own web-based virus scanning, also for nod32 email virus scanning. These accounts are MSN 9, Yahoo, and Comcast (my ISP). I have experienced a situation before when Webmails such as these own virus scanning failed and my computers got infected by a worm. So I would like to avoid that in the future. Any help with configuring these email programs for nod32 scanning would be appreciated. Just as a matter of note, I checked all these email accounts after installing nod32 and there is no subject line indicating nod32 virus scanning. In IMON setup, POP 3 port was 80 and HTTP ports were 80, 8080, and 3128. Thank you.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi jreiz, welcome to Wilders.

What email client are you using?

Cheers :D

3. jreiz

jreiz Registered Member

Hello. Thank you for responding to my message. I am using at this point the Web-based interfaces of Yahoo Mail (for example: someone@yahoo.com), MSN Premium 9 software(for example: someone@msn.com), and Comcast (someone@comcast.net). These are sample email addresses. In the case of MSN Premium, I am just using their software - they are not my ISP. I am not using Outlook or Outlook Express or any client like these. My mail is on the servers at the above three companies and I go onto the web to their sites (or in the case of MSN Premium, open the software: similar I think to AOL) and sign in and view my mail. It is my understanding by reading these forums that individuals have set up nod32 email scanning even with "clients" such as Hotmail that include scanning of their own. This is important to me because I had a case where the Mcafee email attachment scanning used by MSN Premium Mail let a worm through which infected my computers. I have seen screenshots in this forum which show nod32 picking up viruses/worms that Webmail scanning such as Hotmail missed. I appreciate any help you can give me regarding configuring the above three email "clients" for nod32 scanning. In my nod32 IMON setup POP3 port is presently 110 and HTTP ports are 80, 8080, and 3128. Comcast is my internet service provider. Thank you.

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

In general, standard web-based e-mail clients use HTTP to transfer the data. IMON scanning on the HTTP ports should be enough to scan the e-mail and attachments. If something should happen to slip through, then AMON will still be able to catch it as it reaches the hard disk.

5. jreiz

jreiz Registered Member

I appreciate your response to my question. One more thing however: I have configured nod32 to put a tag on all scanned email (under the POP3 tab of IMON setup). I take it since I do not see any tags on either my yahoo, MSN, or Comcast Webmails that the tagging does not apply to HTTP mail. Is this correct? Also, should I find out from each company what HTTP port they use to make sure my mail is scanned by nod32 (and that nod32 IMON setup is configured properly)? Thank you.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Since you do not receive email through POP3, IMON cannot append tag messages to email. However, if you downloaded an infected file through webmail, the HTTP scanner should block it.

7. alglove

alglove Registered Member

I do not see anything on their websites that tells me they are using nonstandard ports for their webmail, so I assume they all use HTTP port 80. Oftentimes, if a nonstandard port is used, you will see an address like "http://webmail.yourisp.com:XXXX", where "XXXX" is the nonstandard port in use. Even then, IMON can scan this if you check "Automatically detect HTTP communication on other ports".

One thing you may look out for is if your webmail uses HTTPS instead of plain HTTP. This is basically HTTP with an encryption layer. You will see this on most "secure" websites. The web address URL will start with "https://..." instead of the usual "http://...". The IMON module of NOD32 cannot scan HTTPS because of the encryption, but again, AMON can catch the files as they reach the hard drive.

By the way, a "secure login" like you see on Yahoo only treats the login as secure, but I am not sure about the webmail pages once you have already logged in. Again, the way to tell is to look for "http://..." or "https://...".

8. jreiz

jreiz Registered Member

Thank you all for your help. I now have nod32 configured the way I want.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.