Convert FAT32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by jgsmp, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgsmp

jgsmp Guest

Since I don't believe after reading the docs that Disk Director will convert FAT32 to NTFS partition, Is the prefered method for this conversion to use the built in MS program for XP.

CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

And then since from what I read the conversion is liable to end up with only 512 byte clusters, I can use Disk Director to change the cluster size?
    Or should I change the cluster size first with Disk Director then execute the convert program?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jgsmp,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Management Software.

Please note that both strategies are acceptable. You can either first change the cluster size and subsequently convert the file system or first convert the file system and then change the cluster size using Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 .

The support for conversion FAT32->NTFS (and many others conversions) is implemented in the 10.0 version of Acronis Disk Director Suite which will be released soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

3. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Just downloaded the manual for version 10 but can't find any information in regards converting from Fat 32 to NTFS, or converting NTFS to Fat 32.

Is this action possible with the new version or not?

John.

4. Acronis Support

Hello John,

Please accept my apologies for misleading you. FAT32 <-> NTFS conversion type is not supported by Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0. It allows the following types of conversion:

FAT16 <-> FAT32
    ext2 <-> ext3

However using the "Merge Partitions" feature you can merge a FAT32 partition into a NTFS partition and vice versa (many other variants are possible e.g. merging an ext2 partition into a FAT32 partition).

To convert FAT32 file system into NTFS file system you should use Windows "convert" program.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

5. jmwardw

jmwardw Registered Member

I have attached one of my many logs. It doesn't seem to work when I try to take 24 gig from my NTFS and add it to my 8 gig FAT 32 boot partition. Let me know if there are some hidden things I should be aware of.

It starts to Commit but in the middle of the process, the dialog box comes up and says I must be sure to Reboot to complete the process. The process doesn't seem to be doing anything and when I push the reboot button, all my changes go away and it goes thru the reboot. Should I have to wait for awhile to get it to finish its procedure before I reboot?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

6. AnyLoss

AnyLoss Guest

Hi
    Do you initiate this operation in a WinOS-emulated dos window!? Also, do you experience any loss of data from your originally Fat32 partition, or does this feature work perfectly?

Sorry to sound stupid, but what's the use to change cluster size in a partition? What advantages come from that for an average user like me?

Thanks for your attention

7. Acronis Support

Please be aware that merging an NTFS partition to a partition with file system not supporting security options (for example, FAT32 partition), will result in loss of security settings (partition ownership data and access permissions). With the opposite action (merging a non-secured partition to the secured one), the target partition security settings will be assigned to the resulting partition.

Concerning your problem:

Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us? This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Please collect the information requested above and contact us from our web-site: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/support/ . Please don't forget to send the link to this thread along with gathered information. This would allow us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

8. jmwardw

jmwardw Registered Member

I finally got it to work. The problem was I tried to work with the C: drive after initially booting up with it. Using the CD bootup worked. I now have a single partition and some other issues to work on but I did get the application to work. You might put some instruction in about using the bootup CD. I looked and didn't find it.

Thanks,
    Jim

9. Acronis Support

Hello Jim,

I'm afraid that we do not have any special documentation describing Acronis Bootable Rescue Media usage at the moment.

I have forwarded this information to the respective person and so the appropriate documentation will probably become available in the future but exact time frame is not decided yet.

If you have any specific questions on how to use Bootable Rescue CD please feel free to ask. I will certainly answer any of them.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.