Better against adwares: KAV or NOD32?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Indeed, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indeed

Indeed Guest

Which one is better against spywares, adwares etc., Kaspersky 5 or NOD32?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'd say Kaspersky with its extended bases. NOD32 will catch some new variant or two, but most of the time KAV will outperfrom it easily.

3. Seuc

Seuc Guest

In a crack site that I´ve tested, NOD32 detected a lot of HTML/TrojanDownloader.XXXToolbar Adware ... is this a trojan or a Adware?

NOD32 have detected JS/TrojanDownloader.IstBar.J trojan and a variant of JS/TrojanDownloader.IstBar.K too

Kaspersky detected Trojan-Downloader.JS.IstBar.j and Exploit.HTML.CodeBaseExec

I don´t know if the Exploit.HTML.CodeBaseExec that KAV detected is the same of HTML/TrojanDownloader.XXXToolbar Adware that NOD32 detected..

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats probably because KAV doesn't have the HTTP scanner (yet) and doesn't really trigger for all stuff. So thats probably the reason for less warnings.
    It would probably detect them when they'd be physically on HDD...

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

This piece of malware will download the "XXX toolbar" which contains another Trojan which will then carry out its function(s). (At least thats what I think)

And BTW at the moment KAV (with ext bases) is better than NOD32 for Adware/Spyware detection.....NOD32 is improving, but I still feel KAV is better at Adware/Spyware detection. ;)

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

NOD32 is still just starting out with adding adware/spyware to it's database, so it's not fully up to speed yet. The http scanner can really make up for it, though, by pulling out the scripts used to get that stuff downloaded on your machine in the first place.

7. ugly

ugly Registered Member

KAV is better then NOD in everything , in all tests , allways.
    You can try the new KAV 2006 beta with HTTP scaning and you will see the diference. It's amazing !

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The boundaries between adware and trojans are becoming blurred as more adware is infecting files in other ways.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's a very audacious statement to claim that KAV's beats NOD32 in everything, e.g. in speed and heuristics detection of new threats. There are threats that NOD32 picks up and KAV misses and vice-versa. I've got a lot of such examples.

10. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Sorry , we was talking about detection here and that was what I meant. I should be more precise.OK there are threats that NOD32 picks up and KAV misses and viceversa but the ballance is by far in KAV side.

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Heuristics do count for detection as well. New unknown malware is mostly all I get on my system anymore, and NOD32 has been great at detecting them, generally before anyone else.

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I agree that the balance is still on KAV's side. It still detects a greater breadth of samples. Also, KAV 2006 will have proactive defense, which will help it protect against unknown malware.

13. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    If we're going to look into the future and talk about features of upcoming versions, we'll have to include NOD 3.0...guess what that'll have! :D

14. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'll certainly check out the upcoming NOD and compare, but for now I'm happy with KAV.

15. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Why are there so many NOD or KAV threads? They are both very good. The differences are in style and philosophy.

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Becuase one HAS TO BE BETTER! :D :D

17. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

No kidding huh? Getting to be nearly one a week. Think peeps would just scroll down a bit and find 88 other similar threads.

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'd hope you'd provide either company with the threats that they miss so that definitions can be prepared to prevent them missing them in future.

19. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

:eek: What you mean with this ? :eek:

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I mean if there are threats picked up by one of the AVs, but missed by the other, I'd hope the sample would be submitted to the AV that has missed it.

21. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

You do not really expect from Marcos, an Eset employee, that he submits all missed samples to other antivirus companies? :eek: Do you? :eek: I mean you could then just employ a few guys only for submitting undetected malware to other av vendors.

22. godel

godel Guest

Too bad Godel proved a long time ago, that even if one antivirus was better, we could never prove it.

23. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I think TonyW had the USER in mind to do this, not the AV company, but the average user won't do this, too much work. :)

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I didn't know that Marcos was an ESET employee. I just picked up on what he said thus: "There are threats that NOD32 picks up and KAV misses and vice-versa. I've got a lot of such examples." :)

25. Indeed

Indeed Guest

If KAV has so much better detection rate of adwares than NOD32, why didn´t kav detected HTML/TrojanDownloader.XXXToolbar Adware?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.