Version 9 Build 2289 is not fixed yet!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thebigdintx, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

I have tried every new build since True Image Version 9.0 was released (builds 2270, 2273, 2277,and 2289). None of them worked. This last build of Version 9.0, build #2289, still produces "Error #E00070020" when I use the "Check Archive" function to check a full disc image (the image is on a Acomdata external USB hard drive).
    I created the image using T.I. from within windows, and also tried to check it using T.I. from within windows. I have not attempted to check the archive yet using the T.I. 9.0.2289 Rescue CD which I created as I am becoming quite frustrated with spending so many days, and so many hours of my time, just trying to get this software to work properly.

2. Hannes

Hannes Registered Member

Cannot confirm this - looks like build 2289 works (at least for me...)

Just wrote a full disk image (image size app. 35GB) on an external usb hd from within Windows and verified it from within Windows - both OK.
    The I booted up with the rescue cd and verified again - that worked, too.
    THis is the first TI9 build that works an my computer - so far (I just became careful to give statements about TI)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  3. jmk

jmk Guest

So far I have been getting nothing but errors with any version of TI9, currently using TI9 2289.
    When I verifiy the image is corrupted error code 32(0x700200).
    Should I go back to TI8, it worked fine?

4. thebigdintx

Update on problem with 2289: Well, I finally decided to spend some more time trying to get something to work. I tried checking the full disc image I created on my external USB hard drive. This time, I checked the archive using the T.I. 9.0.2289 Rescue CD, and it said it successfully checked the image, but I have my doubts because it only ran for about 20 seconds before finishing, and the progress bar was only about 1/4 of the way started. I don't dare try a restore yet, as this is my only computer.

5. oly5

oly5 Registered Member

Just tested build 2289 on a Windows XP test partition. It created and verified a full image in under 20 minutes, which was about what version 8 does. Also was able to plug-in the image to a virtual drive.

Next performed a recovery on this Windows XP test partition. True Image needed to do the recovery during the reboot, and it proceeded. Did not try to verify, but the recovery was successful. While this was a first for version 9, the recovery took over 2 hours. Version 8 does a full recovery in under 20 minutes, so this 2 hours is not acceptable.

John

6. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Hmmmmmm.......... reading these Threads, does Not really convince me, to even try it. I will stay away, still happy with TI8 B937. ( the copy just before acronis hit the fan )

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you verified that large files can be successfully copied to your external drive?

The procedure is to create an MD5 checksum for the file on your external hard drive or computer's internal drive and then copy the file to the other location and create a new MD5 checksum. The two checksums should be identical. If they are not, you have a hardware problem unrelated to TrueImage.

It's important that the file be as large as the backup file to make the test meaningful since some systems can transfer small files but not large ones.

Here's a link to a free MD5 checksum program:
    http://www.brandonstaggs.com/filecheckmd5.html

Since you have a backup on your external drive, you could use that file. Run the checksum, copy it to your internal drive and run the checksum again. Let us know if the checksums are identical.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

just to say, that with this latest version, the boot CD works with no errors on my system.

Though it is true that the restore on the spare HD (that is being used as I type) took just over 2hours for a 35Gb image from an original 40Gb -> 80Gb

HPze4400
    1Gb Ram
    XPpro SP2
    Using external USB hardrive via USB2 4port PCMIA card.

Colin

9. Two posts in this thread report success under Windows, one
    unspecified as to version, one specifically XP. Can anyone
    report success under Windows 98SE? Thanks.

10. thebigdintx

I have a 300MB folder full of digital photos which I transferred back and forth to the external hard drive no problem.

11. thebigdintx

I checked for updates to my USB drivers, and they are all up to date. Acording to this screen shot, do I just have one USB 2 port, and the rest are USB 1 or what? And if so, how do I determine which location (I have 3 USB ports on the back of the computer, and 1 on the front) is the USB 2 location?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Do you have any of the photo files larger than 2 or 3 Gigabytes? Even a single 300MB file is small enough to copy correctly on hardware that will fail to copy large files that are over 1GB or more. In addition, photo files, even if they were 1-2GB in size, are not likely to show a one or two bit error since the compression causes artifacts that would mask many errors of one pixel.

The checksum will identify a one bit error in a many GB file, so that's the tool to use to test the accuracy of copying. The TI Check image uses a checksum approach to test for accurate writing or copying.

Backup images are usually several GB at least. These are the file sizes that stress hardware and cause some chipsets to fail to copy correctly. Copy a backup image and do the MD5 checksum test to confirm that your hardware is up to the task.

After you have done that several times, if there are no errors, then TI is at fault.

13. thebigdintx

I don't recall which method I used in the last week or two (as far as which version i was using, which build, and whether it was from within windows or using the boot cd, but i was able to verify a image created with T.I. and stored on the ext. hdd at some point, and this is a brand new (about two week old ext hdd, so i really don't think it's a hardware problem). Can anyone out there successfully create a full disc image to an external USB hard drive using T.I. from within windows, and then go back and verify it as ok either using T.I. from within windows or from the boot cd?

14. backman

backman Registered Member

Yes, I did that when testing 2289 a couple of nights ago. I am using a Maxtor One Touch external on USB 2. Backed up and verified all in one operation though. I didn't do two separate operations.

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

bigd:
    To get the most direct answer to your question, go into your Device Manager menu and select View\Devices by Connection. Then expand the connections until you find your Enhanced USB device. Drill down into that, and you'll see what's connected to it.

Here's how mine looks when I drill down to my two USB drives:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/crofttk/drill.jpg

It ain't USB 2 if you don't see the word "Enhanced" on the host controller name. I don't think you'll see each actual port here unless something is plugged into that port.
    HTH

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  16. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I would venture to say your screen shot of your Dev.Mgr. is about the same as all of us with USB2, we also have only the one USB2 Enhanced Controller. It is if your lacking the Enhanced controller that all your USB ports will be USB1.

...Allen

17. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Yup, unless you were to add a USB 2 card to a machine that already has USB 2 ports built in, or unless you have more than one USB 2 card, you'll only see the one enhanced controller. I'll just clarify, bigd, your screen shot displays NO ports, only the controllers, the hubs, and a couple of devices. I guess, technically, mine shows no "ports" either. You only know there is a port where a "device" is shown connected to a "hub".

18. DARYLTRN

DARYLTRN Registered Member

Still getting errors with Build 2289 when I create images with the bootable CD under WIN98 SE (the same old message "backup completed with errors").

No problem (apparently, at least) with WinXP SP2.
    Also, images created with the bootable CD under WIN98 SE, when verified under WINXP, seem to be OK, and I can mount them without any difficulty.

I wish I could use Ghost [don't worry, Acronis: True Image is still my favorite] to make a full backup of my Win98 PC (just to stay on the safe side, should something go wrong with TI), and then simulate a crash and try to restore the system with TI9;
    that would be the only way to determine, empirically, whether the images created by TI9 using its rescue CD are really corrupted or not.

But Ghost doesn't support WIN98, so I cannot create an additional "emergency backup", should my experiment fail, and this morning my PC told me it doesn't feel like being used as a guinea pig.

19. pepegot1

pepegot1 Registered Member

This build does not create Bootable Discs. Error message: "Error burning bootable CD-R/CD-RW." There is nothing wrong with the Plextor CD burner. Using Windows 98SE.

20. My alternate backup method remains what I was using as my only method
    until I discovered TI: an external tape drive mounting a 10 GBy magnetic
    tape. Its disadvantages are speed relative to TI, and possible
    vulnerability to magnetic fields. Its advantages are being external (so the
    entire system unit could be replaced if necessary), being built like a
    truck, and being (the media) even more compact than a backup set of DVDs.
    Backing up is a fortunately unattended overnight job, restoration (done
    only once in full so far) takes a full 24-hr day. I back up about 12 GBy with
    some compression.

21. thebigdintx

Here is how mine looks:

Attached Files:

22. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

thebigdintx,

Your in good shape and what you show is running USB2.

...Allen

23. thebigdintx

In e-mail, Acronis support said "Probably the problem related to your Windows USB drivers. Please update the drivers in order to solve the issue". I checked all of them, and they all said that "the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the sofware you have installed". Any other ideas besides there still just being a bug in the Acronis True Image 9.0.2289 software?

24. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

If you have enough disk space have you considered partitioning your 40GB drive into two partitions then using TI to create an image of your C: drive into the new partition. You could then try copying the image file to the external drive. If this works then the external drive and USB drivers would appear to be OK and the problem is within TI when directly writing an image file to a USB external drive.

25. thebigdintx

I created an full disc image and put it on my desktop (I do not have any separate partitions). It checked ok using T.I. from within windows and with the Rescue CD.
    I then copied the image to the external hdd, and it checked ok with with Rescue CD (although it only took about 30 seconds for the Recue CD to check archive the image, so I have my doubts that it actually checked it). When I checked the image on the external hdd using T.I. from within windows, I got that same old "Error E00070020 The archive is corrupted" message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.