a Quick Reply and Edit issue

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by WSFuser, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

quick reply isnt working, it automatically reverts to the full reply view and it automatically quotes the message. i have set wilderssecurity.com as an exception for noscript. what java script settings should i use? currently i only let it change status bar text and change images. tried enabling all JS settings, still have the problem. also just now when i edited my post it reverted to the full edit post scxreen. didnt the forum upgrade let u edit ur post like in a small space similar to quick reply?

IE works so obviously its a setting in Firefox, but which one? arghhh :mad:

btw, the javascript console shows the following message (hope it helps):

Error: vB_QuickEditor is not defined
    Source File: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/clientscript/vbulletin_quick_edit.js
    Line: 135

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

test for quick reply

3. WSFuser

quick reply and edit works now, however, at the moment im using a copy of portable firefox at my school. was it a issue on my comp or the forum software/server?

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Nothing has changed here on the server side, so it must be something closer to you, ie. your own browser and/or security software, or something at your ISP.

If you read through the recent threads in this section and the Test Forum section, you'll see a common theme since the vBulletin 3.5 upgrade a few days ago... Quick Reply & "Quick Edit" (that's what they call the new in-line post editor feature) are not working for a few people. Most have been resolved, and there is a commonality among the solutions...

Quick Reply and Quick Edit are complex Javascript functions. Quick Reply was rewitten since vBulletin 3.0, but both are subject to issues when the client system (or caching servers) either maintain an out of date copy of the Javascripts, or filter the HTTP datastream in such a way that it interferes with you getting the right and full Javascript into your browser.

Many people have found that fully clearing their browser cache and restarting their browser will fix the problem if it is a local caching issue. Some people are using web filter software, like Proxomitron or some software firewalls, scripting filter packages, and perhaps even AV with HTTP filters enabled, and they find that bypassing / excluding the filters for this site fixes the problem, and they get the full Javascript in their browser which then works properly.

I'm sure some people will be effected by their ISP or company's caching servers, where those servers have locked in an old copy of some of the Javascripts and they can't draw the new version yet. (Perhaps a browser based "Ctrl F5" might help them. I don't know.) And though we haven't seen it yet, I'm sure some issues will be related to cookie settings. Some of the control variables for these new editors are being passed in cookie variable values, I believe.

That file is present and fine on the server, and is unchanged since we installed 3.5. Actually, if it weren't, then no one could use these functions. That file is shared by all users of the site. Since all that file does is download to people's PCs and run as a local script, if it were missing on of it's key functions, everyone would see the error. When it doesn't work for some people, but does for everyone else... there's nothing wrong on this end.

I don't know which of these issues are at the root of exactly what you are seeing, but, stepping carefully through browser settings, cache & cookies settings, all proxy / filtering software configs, and so on is likely to be where you'll find the answer.

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

I was having a problem in IE6 with only the in-line editor (edit button) that wasn't working for me...meaning I couldn't click on it and edit a post. In Opera everything was working fine, so that told me it had to be something with one of the settings or security apps I used that was causing it.

Going through various steps of disabling and re-enabling security settings/applications, I found out it was one of the IE exploit work-around that I had set to "DISABLE" in BugOff. The 4th one down (see screenie) for The Microsoft.XMLHTTP object. Once I set that back to ENABLE, my in-line editor worked as it should. :D

It might be something to check for those that do use BugOff and are having a similar problem as I was.

Attached Files:

6. WSFuser

i found teh problem: it was the webmail compose extension. i just took a guess and disabled it along with spoofstick and quick edit/quick reply worked! then i enabled spoofstick and it still worked. i feel much better now :cool:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.