November 5th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New England
READ HERE regarding posting a log!!
We don't handle HijackThis Log cleaning here anymore!!
Please read this recent announcement regarding the posting of HijackThis Logs at this forum:
The first step listed below, ie. the running Ad-aware and
Spybot's latest, fully updated versions, is still very valuable advice. However, we no longer will be providing the HijackThis log review analysis service at this forum, so that no longer applies!
Within the annoucement thread linked above is a list of many sites that will provide that service.
In order to get the fastest and most accurate assistance possible, please follow these three steps when posting your HijackThis Log:
Step 1: Download, install and run one of these spyware cleaning programs:
Either program will do, they are simply listed in alphabetical order. Follow the specific instructions listed below for which ever program you choose. Remember which program you used as you'll need to post that in Step 3.
- Download Ad-aware from here:
Ad-aware is ready to scan and clean your system following these steps:
- Install by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
- After installing but before running, update Ad-aware by using its Globe icon.
- After updating, shutdown and restart Ad-aware.
Close Ad-aware, reboot your system and go on to Step 2 below.
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
"Unload recognized processes during scanning."
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
"Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
- Press "Scan Now"
- Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
- Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
- Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
- Select the active partition which is usually C:
- Press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
- If it finds "bad" files and registry keys, press "Next" again
- Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"
- Press "next"
- When it asks to remove all checked items, Press "OK"
* Additional tips on using Ad-aware are available here and here.
Having run one of the two programs above, or both if you like, your system should now be clean of many of the most well known hijackers and spyware items which should make reviewing your log easier.
Spybot S&D *
Close Spybot S&D, reboot your system and go on to Step 2 below.
- The Spybot S&D product page is here.
- Install by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
- Run Spybot S&D from desktop icon or Start menu.
- Press "Search for updates" button to get list of updates available.
- Press "Download updates" button.
- Close all IE windows and close & restart Spybot S&D.
- Press "Check for problems" button.
- Have SpyBot remove all it marks in red by pressing "Fix selected problems"
* A Spybot S&D overview and tutorial can be found here.
Step 2: Download and run HijackThis itself:
Make sure you use the latest version of this program as it is updated often to keep up with the latest threats! When running HijackThis note that most of what it finds will be harmless, so don't try to "Fix" anything yet!!
HijackThis is a very powerful tool! If you want to try and fix things yourself with it, keep in mind that it makes no distinction between good or bad items. It just does whatever the user instructs it to do, no matter what the consequences might be. You could end up disconnecting yourself from the internet or being unable to reboot your system at all!
- Download HijackThis.exe from here.
* A tutorial on what to fix, written by the program's author can be found here.
- - This is a direct download link. You should save this program to a permanent folder on your system, not your desktop!
- Run HijackThis.exe
- Press "Scan" button.
- When done the "Scan" button will change to "Save Log", press that.
- Save the log as a text file.
- In step 3 below, you'll need to copy and paste the contents of this log to a post here.
Step 3: Start a new topic at one of the security forums that provide spyware review assistance.
When posting your log it is also important to tell us which program (Ad-aware or Spybot S&D) you ran, and also what problems you are experiencing with your system. Write this information at the top of your new post and then paste the full contents of your HijackThis Log below it.
Please note that on average you may need to wait many hours before an expert has reviewed and replied to your thread. You should just wait and check back periodically. You may bump* your thread after 24 hours of no responses.
* Bumping means that you reply to your thread yourself to bump it up in the forum index, but be warned, most of the helpers here actually start further down in the index, not at the top because they are looking for older, unresponded topics.
- 11/20/03 - Added additional settings for Ad-aware execution.
- 02/17/04 - Adjusted to use local copy of HijackThis zip file.
- 02/20/04 - Adjusted links to Spybot S&D resources.
- 04/04/04 - Fixed link to Merijn's HijackThis tutorial.
- 04/10/04 - Updated for vBulletin forum conversion.
- 05/13/04 - Added Spybot 1.3 direct download as mirrors aren't updated.
- 05/31/04 - Changed HijackThis download from ZIP to EXE version.
- 06/22/04 - Added info on bumping & adjusted colors.
- 08/08/04 - Discontinued log review services.