edit or delete backup location wiz - crash

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Larry_R, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry_R

Larry_R Registered Member

First I'd like to say that I'm new to TI 10.0 (build 4871) and find it very impressive. I've cloned my OS twice so far, once to a newer pata and now to a sata running on a pci card. TI did both without a hitch, even the latter which I wondered about. Glad I gave up on Norton Ghost after being a loyal user for years.

One issue however. When I use either the edit backup location wiz, or the delete backup location wiz, as soon as I click the 'next' button for the first time I get the following before the program abruptly terminates:

"MS Visual c++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error True Image
    This app has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

I had set up 2 backup locations before the last clone, and afterwords I changed the name of one of the drives. A cause?

XP SP2

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Sounds more like an obscure bug in TI.

I'd suggest raising a support ticket with Acronis. It looks as though it's trying to access something that XP doesn't think exists.

Colin

3. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Larry,

That probably is the reason. Here's how to get a fresh start:

1. Go to all your backup locations and delete the ***.cfg file.

2. Open regedit and go to HKey_Current_User\Software\Acronis\Fomatik\PlaceBrowser\FavoritePlaces.

3. Delete all keys under FavoritePlaces.

4. Now use TI10 to recreate the backup locations.

You should now be able to edit them without the Runtime error.

4. Larry_R

Larry_R Registered Member

Thanks Mustang.

Hooray, it works. Maybe something to add to the FAQs: "Don't to what silly Larry did, but if you do, here's how to fix it. o_O

Larry

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Is that a v10 fix, as that entry isn't in registry for my installation of v9?

Colin

6. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Larry,

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Hi bodgy,

Yes, this applies to V10 only. Backup locations are new to V10. They allow setting limits on the amount of disk space, the maximum number of backups to be kept and the length of time to keep backups. I think it's going to be a troublesome area. There are already some posts saying certain things don't work correctly.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I think msot of the toruble reports came from me, with windows installer issues, and others that were not selcting backup locations fromthe "backup Locations" onthe Selection tree.

This is basically a bit of secure zone technology moved over to non-hidden, ordinary partitions -- and it's not especially tricky stuff programming wise. I don't see it as being likely to be especially troublesome.

8. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

This is just unbelievable! I've been corresponding with Acronis for a MONTH trying to fix this exact problem! Just a couple of days ago they told me they would have to bump it up to their "development team".

I just tried Mustang's fix AND IT WORKED! KUDOS AND A BIG THANKS TO MUSTANG!

I am disappointed in Acronis' "support", to say the least.

9. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You are by no means alone, judging by other messages here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.