cannot copy/update from primary.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by stapp, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I went to update my primary to the secondary as I was going to test some software. The error I got was static snapshot error ( a number 1259 was in the log viewer)

Also- no files copied or deleted errors 2, 0 seconds (number 1035 in log viewer)

I booted to secondary and updated the primary okay from there.

Any idea as to why this happened and what it means?

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Stapp,

Try the Raxco copy engine RSS in lieu of the MS copy engine VSS.

Go to the command line: start - run - type cmd and click ok.

At the prompt type: cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup -- press enter

At the next prompt type: ISRSetup -install -rss --- press enter

After the installation, you may be prompted to reboot. If you are not prompted to restart then manually restart the machine after the install -rss command is successfully executed.

hth,

...screamer

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for the reply Screamer, I already have the RSS instead of VSS (with Peter's help)

Things have moved on a bit as I also noticed the dates in my FD log viewer are changing all the time from say 3/01/07 to 4/02/07 then back to January and then Febuary on a daily basis. I sent the log to Raxco Europe and I spoke to them today and they are sending it to the US. They also had me send them a system log just to prove it wasn't my system clock being silly ( it isn't)

I have done a copy/update since so it still works, but I am a bit worried about other entries in the log which show that I deleted my external snapshot and I haven't, it's still there as far as I can tell. Also of course the original error which also said >Error could not start RSS and > Not enough storage to process this command, I have 40+gb free on my C drive.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Stapp

Did you upgrade or change anything else you can think of? I've not seen what you are experiencing.

Pete

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Your Event Viewer may give you a clue as to what's up. Check both Application & System logs.

...screamer

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Screamer,
    I have looked in both and as far as I can see ( which isn't very far, I even wear glasses) all event errors I have are the same ones I have always had such as 7001. One windows mini dump when doing an uninstall/ reinstall of OA firewall.

Peter,
    The only software I can think of lately is a reinstall of OA firewall after running out of time on my trial. I am waiting for things to get sorted before I try anything else. The date thing is very puzzling as I don't know if it has really been going on as long as it appears, or if has got muddled due to one event.
    I will feel better when it is sorted as I realise now how much I rely on FD. I don't even know if the external primary archive is working and don't dare do anything with it yet.

7. Peter2150

Hi Stapp

Assuming your system is okay otherwise, first thing I'd try next as it is the safeest, is do a copy/update from your archive to your secondary and see what happens.

If that appears okay, then I'd boot to secondary, and copy/update from archive to primary.

If however step one still acts funny, then I would try deleting the secondary snapshot completely and recreating it.

Let us know what happens.

Pete

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Raxco US just requested the complete logs, so have just sent them. Will keep you informed.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The error logs and error codes are a weak point in FDISR indeed, which has been mentioned in the wish list.

Our computer department doesn't use these error codes anymore. That's a typical programmer's method to tell users that something is wrong and users don't understand anything of it as usual.

A short term solution could be a downloadable manual of all these error codes with more explanation and hints to solve the problem.
    No wonder that Raxco offers a good support, there is no other way. :)

10. Peter2150

There is another way followed by many. No downloadable manual and no good support. Fortunately Raxco isn't one of those.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

The first response I had from raxco was to say that the logs showed I didn't have enough space to make a snapshot and to free up some space and try again. I replied that I was not making a snapshot at the time but doing a copy/update from primary to secondary. Also I have a lot of free space on my c/drive.

No mention was made of the time stamps being all out of sequence, even now I have 7/01/07, 7/02/07, 8/01/07 all in a line for today

Hopefully they may write again tomorrow.

12. Peter2150

Have you tried deleting the snapshot, and recreating it?

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

No Peter, I haven't done anything but keep my secondary updated from my primary and I have no problems doing that. Is there a reason you suggest that?

Had another email this morning asking me to calculate the size of the snapshot I am attempting to copy.

I cannot seem to get them to understand that it was a one time event and I have no problem copy/updating now. Although I still haven't updated my archive again as I wanted to see what they say.

They still have not made any comment on the timestamp problem which makes it virtually impossible to work out when anything was done, the log is so mixed up.

14. Peter2150

Hi Stapp

Have you just cleared the log out and then done another update.

Reason, I asked about deleting the snapshot, is once or twice when things have really gone screwy, I've deleted any other snapshots, and tried rebuilding. On occasion I've even uninstalled and resinstall and in essence started from scratch and that has fix some things.

Pete

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have cleared the log Peter as you suggested, updated secondary from primary, updated archive from primary and so far, even though the log only has a few entries, they are all correct. ( flushing works wonders?)

I recieved another email from raxco which said that their log date format is mm/dd/yy and my machine is dd/mm/yy and they think this is where the inconsistancy arose. It has been forwarded to development and will be resolved in a future release. I will be keeping a close eye on my dates to see if this is the case.

Can I thank everyone here for the comments and support, sometimes there is no substitute for the knowledge passed on by others, which is gained by their personal experience. Now I will be able to pass this little bit of gained knowledge on. :)

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just a quick update on this.

After looking in tools>view activity logs, they have once again reverted to

day>month>year - instead of - month>day>year, so I am back to my mixed up logs.

I wonder if microsoft error messages (BSOD's) could knock them off balance.

It seems to tie in timewise with uninstall problems with a beta test software.

17. Peter2150

Hi Stapp

Have you check your system time settings in the control panel. Check that before and after and it might tell you what is going on.

Pete

18. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Do you mean the Date and Time Peter?

If yes it shows the right time and date. I have just read some microsoft info that says firewalls prevent the auto sync of time (unless using windows firewall which allows it). Do you know anything about this?

It's nearly impossible to read the logs now as the dates jump fom one day to another, and as I said the date format has changed.

They were fine for 5 days, all in order, then something changed them.

19. Peter2150

Yes Date and Time, and somewhere in there you can set the format and whether it's English US, or elsewhere..

Other than that I am not sure I would worry about it. When I want to save something in the logs, I always clear them first and then reproduce the problem. That way what I send to Raxco is clean.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.