VirtualBox versus VMware and Parallels

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by aigle, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can anybody comment how good is VirtualBox as compared to VMware and parallels.

I tried it briefly( installed ubuntu and XP) and it seems good. It,s free, open source and small download( about 11 MB only versus 150 MB of VMware server and 20 MB of Parallels).

The only main problem I encountered that on my widescreen laptop, the Virtual Machine was not really full screen.
    But I hope thy will improve it.

Attached Files:

• VB.jpg
      VB.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

wilbertnl comments here

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Will read it.

4. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

i'm dying to test this vs killdisk! i know other VM type software couldn't stop the virus from wrecking havoc.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I'm testing it. Works well so far. Very intuitive. Simple.
    I'll check it later on Ubuntu and Suse, see how it works. Looks good. Only 14 more virtualization programs to go....
    Mrk

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Pls do tell us ur impressons later, esp as compared to VMware.

lol

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

KillDisk will work here as this is simple OS virtualization, not a security sandbox. However I am not sure if KillDisk will breakthrough guest OS, hope not!

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,

My impressions so far:

Tried it on computers already ICS/NAT-ed. VirtualBox does not like this. Creating host interfaces and bridging them was a major pain in the pickle. So I gave up on it. NAT would not work.

Otherwise, nice and stable, but without networking, not much of a use for me.

A separate network driver would be nice, a la VMware Server...

Mrk

P.S. I'm now installing this on another network, see how things work out. I will not install it on the gateway machine, I'll install it one of the clients, which see the Internet as plug-in-play... through the gateway.

See you in about 30 min.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Aigle, I notice that you want to compare the alternatives in virtulization with VMware.
    Are you referring to the paid VMware Workstation or the free VMware Player/Server?

The paid [$189] VMware Workstation 5.5 is the Rolls Royce compared to any other VM. It has the most features and performs solid.

The paid [$49] Parallels Workstation for Win and the free VMware Server/Player,VirtualBox or Virtual PC all have their advantages and disadvantages. You need to pick which features you need and go with the product that offers that.

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have set up and not seeing this problem. I just left the VM as NAT, this now uses my main NIC to connect out via "Virtualbox.exe" with is acting as proxy for the VM.
    I have set up the NIC as a shared connection to see if this causes a problem, but all o.k. Client PC and VM can both connect out.

11. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

I have tested this also and had no problems. I have been using Ubuntu on a XP Pro host.

12. Mrkvonic

Hello,

I took a bit longer than I previously stated.

Results:

On a network with ICS/NAT, gateway connects via l2tp, pptp, pppoe dialer, virtualbox cannot connect.
    On a network with ICS/NAT, gateway connects directly, virtualbox cannot connect.
    On a network with ICS/NAT, clients connects without problem.

On a good side, memory footprint for virtual machines is very low.

Mrk

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Mrkvonic,
    How are you trying to set this up. If you just want to connect out through the VM to browse, collect mail etc, then just set up VM NAT. Setting up a Host Interface is only needed if you want to connect into the VM (from the Host, or use the VM as server).

14. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Sure, simple NAT. Does not work on cables / adsl with vpn dialer that establishes the internet connection and is shared with the home (lan) network.

As I specified, works charmingly on direct connection - where the cable modem connects automatically and anything behind it is plug-and-play or with client machines on lan, which also directly connect.

However, I was unable to NAT on cables / adls, because the computer has an internal IP address that belongs to the ISP, while the dialer (over ethernet) is the connection that actually reaches the Internet. So the NAT results in the local subnet of the ISP being shared, which does not have an Internet connection. The dialer allows home (lan) networks to connect through it, of which the gateway is also a part of, on another interface... See the trick?

Gateway connections:

Cable / ADSL intranet
    PPTP / L2TP / PPPOE VPN dialer that connects to the Internet over the above intranet
    Home lan

The VPN allows Home lan to connect (192.168.0.x), which is the gateway as well as other computers.

NAT for VB results in it being shared on the intranet, which has no Internet access....

This is the ailment of the gateway... no worries. Clients and direct connection works well.

Mrk

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Mrkvonic,

You have NIC either connected to router or direct to internet. (NIC_01)

You have NIC connected for LAN/ICS (NIC_02) this is normally 192.168.0.1

You have VM NIC (NIC_03)

You first bridge NIC_02 + NIC_03
    You then place fixed IP onto bridge of 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0

You then set NIC_01 as shared. This then places ICS PC + VM onto LAN of 192.168.0.0/24 with gateway 192.168.0.1

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

One thing I cannot find on VirtualBox is the ability to clone a VM.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There are snapshots but unfortunately u can,t go back n forth in these snapshots as far as I understand.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, u are right. I have just started to try VMs first time so I just installed a trial of parallels to see what is the difenrence in paid versus free VMs.
    Regarding VMware I was talking of free VMware server.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I insataled XP but I was not able to get a full screen view. Also I could not use internet in it, no suppot for modem I think. Does VMware Server support modem? Any info?

20. Mrkvonic

Hello,

No, unfortunately NIC01 is NOT connected to router or direct to Internet. I have no router.

NIC01 is connected to ISP LAN - another internal address subnet. Giant LANs.

ONLY after I dial VPN I get the IP on THIS connection. NIC01 remains with its internal ISP address. That's why it's dialers OVER ethernet.

Sorry, that's the way it works here...

If NIC01 was establishing connection to router / Internet, there would be no problems.

Indeed, with comps that directly connect, no problems.
    Indeed, with clients, which for all practical purposes, simply directly connect, no problems.

Problems arise only with dial connections.

Why do you think I wrote that article about configuring PPTP dialer for Linux? A curse of special infrastructures ....

Mrk

21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

That really makes no difference. If you can connect your private LAN(ICS) then bridging the VM with the ICS will just make the VM part of your ICS connection.
    If you can connect with ICS lan, then you can connect with VM LAN when this is bridged and sharing ICS, as both will be using 192.168.0.1 as gateway, and all nodes (including VM) will be on LAN 192.168.0.0/24

22. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I hope I'm not babbling too much - in Windoze, you cannot bridge a connection that's part of ICS. Maybe you can conduct a little experiment....?
    Mrk

23. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I already set this up before posting instructions. You do of course have to first unshare your main NIC, the only point I missed out, but thought you would understand that.

If you start with the 3 NICS. The Main NIC as installed (not sharing), with your main IP (be it Wan/ extended LAN whatever), this is not yet set up as shared.
    You then have your NIC that is connected to your home LAN, and you have the NIC you have created for the VM. (both these set to get IP auto)

You bridge the VM and home LAN NICS (I then set the bridge as 192.168.0.1),... you then set up the main NIC as shared for ICS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why it wants to connent to internet? Any comments pls!

Attached Files:

25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi aigle,
    When VM is set up as NAT, "Virtualbox.exe" acts as proxy for VM m/c`s
    (I posted this info here)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.