Rustock Trojan A Model For Future Threats

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

You know, i was alerting people to the possibility that malware and rootkits could take advantage of and hide code in the ADS several years ago. But mostly everybody said it was nothing to be concerned about, as it was just a remote possibility and probably would never happen. And why would they bother when there are easier ways to do things.

Well there are much easier ways, but the whole point was this would be a very neat solution for them, as tracking down hidden files is a lot harder to do.

Seems somebody was listening any way !

StevieO

2. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Gromozon team is pretty linked to DialCall team, the last one is using Rustock.B rootkit. When Gromozon team disappeared, even DialCall servers disappeared for a couple of days, then both re-appeared and old gromozon infction websites sometimes redirect to DialCall infection.

3. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Yeah, most of them do... somehow I didn't immediately connect the name Rustock to this infection but yeah, this rootkit is closely related to Gromozon and some time ago they were both on the well known NetcatHost domains.

I know that for some time they've been around both at the same time, but the Rustock was mainly loaded through spammed e-mails that redirected to geocities page (which in turn had an iframe to 195.225.176.34), whereas Gromozon was loaded through bogus pages that tried to rank high on search engines. It seems only recently Gromozon disappeared and most of the previous gromozon redirection pages now redirect to this malware (which is now on 81.29.241.232, btw).

4. Kaupp

Kaupp Registered Member

That is the trouble with rootkits is it not?,they are so good at hiding from the user and anti-malware software that you will never experience thier presence.

I don't think I'm paranoid I'm just interested to learn better techniques in discovering possible rootkit infections.

kind regards

Kaupp

5. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

But only the best 30%,
    70% of them are easy to detect.

THe problem is that the 30% will spread more and more in future.

6. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Yesterday i grabbed an infection c/o one of my driveby sources and gave PrevX tool first bite at the infection and heres the log generated.
    Like i said earliar in the thread the PrevX Gromozon tool also whacks Rustock A/B out of ADS so at least we know for 2 tools capable of cleaning Rustock current incarnations insitu :)

Hey EP_XOFF
    RKU missed the *other* ADS streamo_O but did see Hide_evr2.sys and hidden payload in C:/WINDOWS which were part of the imported infection :)

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Ah, I see what you are saying but there will be signs that give them up as I think Mrkvonic was conveying.

Yes, and that is good, we are all always learning:)
    If you know what to look for you can simply use WinDbg.

8. EP_X0FF

EP_X0FF Registered Member

C:\WINDOWS\System32:svchost.exe:$DATA
    Please give us the link to that malware. Probably some kind of bug here or in PrevX.

9. SystemJunkie

This found once in filemon:

02:58:33 services.exe:592´READ C: * 0xC0000185 Offset: 196608 Length: 32768

Strange services.exe activity.

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

And what about ADinf32 (Pro) ?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=72131

From the help-file:
    It might be old, but ...

Attached Files:

11. EP_X0FF

I want to test Rustock.B with Adinf 3.02 Pro today. Wait for results.

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Interesting. Curious. onto review same results when available.

13. EP_X0FF

Well what can I say? Adinf was good in 1999, maybe in 2002. Now it is "not good". Still can monitor file changes but NTFS ADS is not supported. Adinf can't detect files dropped in ADS as well it can't check them. So for modern malware it is totaly useless.

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Says enough for me. Thanks EP_XOFF for results.

15. SystemJunkie

I also used adinf some months ago, but if you look exactly it makes lots of false positives in my opinion, I also got message like stealth virus in bios, maybe you remember the thread ACPI Bios Rootkit.

I am not sure, but I thought it also has a relation to drweb and if you know drweb av, then you know that it is the worst heuristic ever in terms of false positives, it even detect aol or parts of aim as possible backdoor, this guy from dr.web should really revise his oldschool av engine.

Same thing with oldschool adinf32 I guess.

Exactly.

Beside: Adinf even alarms when e.g. setupapi.log changes or any other log, I guess it is usual that logs are changing, :-D ;-D

16. EP_X0FF

DrWeb soon will release v5.0, maybe something is cardinaly changed. In comparison to Kaspersky - Drweb or Adinf looks really like "old-school" (win2k maximum).

17. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

What about lads.exe?

http://www.heysoft.de/Frames/f_sw_la_en.htm

I ran a simple test and it found them. I don't know about sophisticated malware, though.

18. EP_X0FF

It is ADS lister. Just like streams from Mark Russinovich.

19. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Is that good or bad?

20. EP_X0FF

Rustock using filtering of API requests, so it's invisible in Windows API that are used to enumerate ADS in programs such as streams. RAW implementation can deal with Rustock (or calls from kernel mode).

But you can try and test this ADS lister with Rustock.B ;)

21. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Oh well, they moved the malware to 81.29.241.231... (by the way, for the security vendors out there, the files are in the directories):

hxxp://81.29.241.231/user2/bond00(numbers from 81 to 90)/service32.exe
    hxxp://81.29.241.231/user2/bond0(numbers from 171 to 270)/service32.exe

These are the infection starters, the Rustock.B rootkit is picked up from the infection later on...

22. fcukdat

Thankyou for sharing & kudo's TNT for the info,it all helps:thumb:

I have put some of the collected malwares up on MIRT malware listserve for widespread distribution.

Winsys32 was the Rustock B dropper in a couple of runs i had at the infection yesterday inorder to collect files for uploading.

23. fcukdat

24. SystemJunkie

Damn this tool is cool! Better then Gmer in terms of detecting friendly and hostilely hooks! Great. Never thought that Trend Micro would be able to create such a cool thing.

25. EP_X0FF

RootkitBuster === AVG Antirootkit === Avira Antirootkit === Sophos Antirootkit === BlackLight === BitDefender Antirootkit

I see no difference between them and they all are weak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.