Trashmail.NET @ Legitimate or Spammer in Disguise

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by phasechange, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Can I be comfortable using Trashmail.net addresses or will they use my real email address for spamming? I've downloaded a very useful extension for Firefox also called Trashmail.net that gives me disposable email addresses http://www.trashmail.net/.

I'd appreciate your views as I am trying to do something about my massive Spam problem. I'm also using Spamcop and a plugin (http://www.ibiblio.org/shadow/okopipi/) for Thunderbird to report to it but I'm on the verge of giving up and dumping my two oldest email addresses.

http://www.spamcop.net

Thanks,
    Fairy

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've used Trashmail for years and never had a problem with them. The Firefox extension is new, but the service has been around for quite a while.

You might try MailWasher, I've grown to really like it. I've also been using Knujon with their MailWasher reg hack for forwarding spam to them instead of SpamCop. Never really saw any results with SpamCop, but I know for a fact that I have several shutdowns with Knujon. Knujon goes after the companies advertising by spam, rather than the servers being used by spammers. I personally like that approach better.

I'm in the same boat as you. I was getting so much spam that legit emails would get lost, and it was really getting very frustrating. Getting it back under control can be a slow process, but stick with it.. just changing email addresses will have you changing every year or two, better to get it under control with what you have, if possible, IMO.

3. phasechange

thanks I will try the other service that you recommend. I have noticed that I am getting a lot of repeats of the same spam which makes me feel the message isn't getting through! The alternative approach sounds worth a go. Spam is evil!

Fairy

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

You may wish to check out SpamGourmet also - it is a similar service to Trashmail but offers more options (the ability to specify exclusive senders which then have unlimited access, prefixes and watchwords to prevent spammers from making up aliases) as well as being easier to use (you don't have to create an alias in advance, unless you want to use it for sending email).

Another point to check is whether replies to a Trashmail-forwarded email go via their service or not. If not, then it means your real email address is revealed if you respond - SpamGourmet's Reply Address Masking (disabled by default) ensures that replies are routed via and appear to come from the SG alias used.

5. phasechange

thanks Paranoid, interesting stuff :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.