Stalled File Oriented Drive Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paulhand, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulhand

paulhand Registered Member

I have a corrupted file on my C drive which is not repaired by a Chkdsk. I'm using XP Home, SP2. An article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base recognizes the problem in XP and advises doing a backup excluding this file, reformatting the drive, then doing a restore. Excluding the file forces me to use a file oriented backup. I am using Acronis*True*Image*Home® version 9.0 (build*3,677). When I try to do this backup (about 13 GB) Acronis starts ok, then stalls part way through. This has happened during repeated tries. Once the process stalls, a "Cancel" fails and causes my computer to hang up which I can only solve with a reboot. I have two basic questions:

1. Is this a workable way to do a backup and restore which includes the operating system? I am concerned about files which are active or otherwise unavailable during the attempted backup during a file oriented backup. (I was able to do this backup using a trial version of another software program, and out of 67,668 files, 229 files were skipped. I would prefer to use Acronis because I have more faith in and experience with it providing I can get it to work :doubt: )

2. Any thoughts about what is causing the stall and what I can do about it.

Thanks.

2. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Greetings, Paul,

Unfortunately, I have no idea why your backup is stalling. But, perhaps, it's a good thing, since restoring a bootable partition using the Files & Folders program in TI is not recommended. Here's a link to a thread discussing the corrupt directories you are trying to clean up, and, in post # 10, cequi suggests what would be involved in doing a file level restore of a Windows system partition. Way over my head, and most likely, not for most users.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=145505

Your post does escalate the importance of this issue, since it is often no small matter to remove corrupted files, even using the tools Acronis offers us.

With luck, a solution will be found, so, stay tuned.

Regards,

Christopher

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.