Image from small HDD to larger HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mal_t, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

Am I likely to encounter any problems if I use ATI to create an image of a small (17GB) HDD and put it on a larger (80GB) drive? I guess the answer is no, but just wanted to check.

Thanks,
    Mal

2. bottom

bottom Registered Member

- is it an external hd ?
    - is enough space left on the 80gb hd ?
    - has chkdsk.exe showed ANY errors on ONE of the drives ?
    - have You downloaded and installed latest build of TI ?

if Your answers are...
    no / yes / no / yes
    ...then there (hopefully) shouldnt be any problems

bottom

3. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

no
    yes
    no
    *no

I'm using v8.0 build 796, are there any problems with that version? I can't afford to upgrade at the moment.

Thanks,
    Mal

4. bottom

bottom Registered Member

am also still using version 8.0
    but You can dl a newer build (free of charge)
    from the acronis website

just create an account and choose product updates

bottom

5. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

Thanks, will carry on with v.8, unless problems arise.

6. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

Well I must have talked this up, but just had my first failure with TI .

Tried to create an image and got this error message. Strange thing is, just after you mentioned chkdsk, I went and ran it, came up with no bad sectors. Then only a few hours later when I try and create un image I get above error. The only action the PC in question saw between the chkdsk and the error was actually installing ATI.

Is this just coincidence? Seems hard to believe installing ATI would cause bad sector.

At the error I clicked the 'retry' option several times, still error came up. Then clicked 'ignore' just out of curiosity to see if any more errors came up. It got to the end with no more errors and said it was successful. Obviously not happy to keep image of drive with errors, so I deleted it. Then tried creating image using boot disk, same error though.

Did another chkdsk straight after, which came up with bad sector, then said something about it being replaced. Re-tried creating image and it was successful (without the error).

Just worried about the bad sector and what caused it. Should I be?

Cheers,
    Mal

7. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Mal_t,
    It sounds you have a software related bad sector, and not an actual "Physical" bad sector. If it's software related, then don't worry about it because it sounds like you've corrected it.
    But however, if it's a "Physical" bad sector, then you got problems.

To be on the safe side, ....go to your HD manufactor web sight, and you should be able to download a free Diagnostics tool that will scan, and check your HD for "Physical" Bad Sectors.
    Call the HD manufactor if you have to.

Once you get the Tool, you should boot the computer into DOS. At which time, you can run a FULL Diagnostic Scan on your entire HD.

8. mal_t

mal_t Registered Member

Think you're right about it being software related. Downloaded iso, burned and run diagnostic program without errors, so that's put my mind at rest. :)

Thanks,
    Mal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.