bad block

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ziv_r, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziv_r

ziv_r Registered Member

Hi,
    If I am doing image to a hard drive that has some bad blocks, will it copy the bad blocks when I try to restore the image (to a new hard drive without bad blocks)?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

If you do a normal Backup / Restore using the TI9 image process then you should not have any problems.

If you use the Clone process then, according to Acronis Support, the cloning process may mark a good sector as bad on the new disk. I NEVER clone a disk with bad sectors so have not experienced this for myself, but logically it makes sense not to clone a bad-sector disk.

3. ziv_r

ziv_r Registered Member

"normal Backup / Restore"
    If im creating image file (from the bad hard drive) for later restore - is that ""normal Backup / Restore"?

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Yes, that is correct.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

ziv r,

To prevent bad sector flags to be transferred to a good drive, you should perform a partitions restore with resize.

Assuming you have TI 9 Home Build 3567 or higher, you should opt for partition restore, select the first partition and resize it (even minimally). Towards the end of the Wizard steps, you should reply that you want to restore another partition, so as to jump back to the start of the Wizard and include all of them one by one (by repeating these steps and resizing each one in the process) and to finally add the MBR and Track 0 as well.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ziv_r,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as bVolk said in order to avoid transferring bad sectors to the new location, you should restore the image archive resizing the partition(s). Considering that it is impossible to resize partitions when restoring an image of a whole hard disk, there is no way to avoid restoring bad sectors in such a case. It is only possible to eliminate the bad sectors by restoring the partitions separately with resizing.

Please also have a look at this post for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

There is a freeware product which is DOS based and has an option to clear the MFT $badclus which stores the information on the bad blocks.
    Of course, you should never use this for a disk which really has bad blocks.
    Where possible it's better to use the resizing technique previously mentioned.
    Send me a Private Message if you really have need of this product.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  8. Lila Godel

Lila Godel Registered Member

I wanted to read up on this freeware product, but I could not find it in my internet searches. Do you mind posting the url for it?

9. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I have sent you a Private Message
    As I said above, anyone else interested should send me a Private Message.

10. TelstarTOS

TelstarTOS Registered Member

I tried to PM you but I get an error. Could you send me a private message with these info?
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.