Resident Shield

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by psny513, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psny513

psny513 Registered Member

I recently downloaded the trial version of the ewido anti-spyware software. Despite configuring it so that all components are active (including the Resident Shield), I find that the Resident Shield seems to change itself to inactive from time to time, without any warning or other indication (such as an icon change) on my desktop toolbar. It seems to happen after I've shut off the PC, but I'm not certain if it has happened before that, since I was never notified of the change in protection status in any event.

My questions:

1. What could cause this change? All my AV scans (Norton and HouseCall), and my Ad-Aware scans, are clean.

2. If protection status changes, is there any indication (other than going to the control center itself) that advises of such a change?

Thanks for your help with this.

2. padbury

padbury Registered Member

I second that post, could the people who developed this software please post an explanation. I also find the shield turning itself inactive, on two different win 2k sp4 pc's.

The shield is no good off!:mad:

Ian
    Perth
    Australia

3. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Hi,

Unfortunately this is a known bug.
    See here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=138800

And we still don't know why it occurrs. The problem is that I am not abled to reproduce it at all. I have tried many things to figure it out but I can not test it so I actually don't know if it is fixed or not.

At first I believed it is a WinXP thing, but since you're saying that it occurrs on Win2k too I am totally confused. :/

However we will still search for this problem, we donot forget it at all.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

4. padbury

padbury Registered Member

Good, you know about it. Unfortunately unless you can fix it, I'm not interested in buying a licence. Good Luck!:thumb:

If you have any questions about the software on either of these pc's let me know.

Ian
    Perth
    Australia

5. psny513

Just a thought - is there a way to develop the software so its icon on the desktop bar changes from its current orange rosebud-shaped thing to a bright red warning icon of some type? My Norton has that feature, as does PeerGuardian and my firewall. I can tell if there's a problem just by looking at the icon. At least that will protect all of us while you're trying to figure out the cause of these random Shield disabilities.

6. AMAZED

AMAZED Registered Member

Hi this is my first post in the forum and was looking for an answer to the same question about shield switching itself on and off.

7. psny513

I noticed that after an ewido update, my icon color on the desktop bar changed. It showed as gray, instead of its usual oranged color. The color change prompted me to go into the ewido control center, where I found that the Resident Shield was turned off. When I turned it back on, the ewido icon returned to its original orange color.

Thanks for the heads up. Now all we need to do is figure out why Resident Shield is de-activating. I'd start investigating the update process as a possible root cause of this issue.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have Ewido in trial under winXPproSP2. I never noticed any change in the Resident Shield.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

maybe the bug is in trial only?

10. psny513

No - Erik has a trial version, too, and like my PC, operates with WinXP/sp2.

Normally I'd surmise that some type of virus, trojan or spyware is turning it off - but all my scans are clean, including my online HouseCall scan (although Ad-Aware found the WinAV spyware that Ewido missed).

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Iv'e yet to experience this with the paid version. Perhaps because I'm not armed to the teeth, running it only with NOD32 behind a router. Could be others are experiencing a program conflict.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  12. bfagan

bfagan Registered Member

I downloaded the trial 2 days ago and Resident Shield is turning off on my machine as well.

XPproSP2
    AVG

13. MorganNY

MorganNY Registered Member

I too have winxpprosp2 and my resident shield mysteriously becomes inactive. I also have norton internet security 2005 anti-spyware edition running. I redid my computer a few days ago so everything's fresh and clean. Let me know if there are any other specifics I can provide to help track down the issue.
    regards

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.