Ewido 4.0 unresponsive after update

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by OldRebel, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

I noticed at the Calendar of Updates that Ewido had updated today. When I realized that mine had not, I did a manual check for updates. The updates downloaded normally and when they were done, I did a quick memory scan followed by a registry scan. Then I closed the GUI. Shortly afterwards, I was writing an email to a friend regarding Ewido and needed to look at the Tools section on the GUI. When I tried to open Ewido from the system tray icon, nothing happened. I also tried using the desktop icon and the shortcut pinned to my start menu - same result: nothing! I checked task manager and ewido and the guard were both running. Frustrated, I decided to reboot, but log off failed because Ewido was unresponsive to shut down command. I returned to Windows and manually shut down ewido.exe using TaskManager. Then I rebooted without problems. What could cause Ewido to become unresponsive?

I remember that in the beta, there were times when it was necessary to reboot after an update. I did not notice any alert to reboot after this current update. Are there times when a reboot will be necessary after an update, and if so, will there be an unmistakable notice to do so?

2. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

The "reboot" was not necessary really often (in the Beta period). Only the restart of the application ewido.exe was needed.

In your case it could be that a reboot has helped but this should be a few days ago (when we corrected the ewido 3.5 issue) this can have probably affected some 4.0 too since this was the same file which causes the problem.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. :(

BR

3. OldRebel

Thanks for the reply. It had been a while since I used the 4.0 because I dropped the beta early(it seems I had OS problems unrelated to Ewido) and I had continued to use 3.5 until just a couple of days ago. I have been struggling with over use of system resources but I believe that the 4.0 is working well in combination with WinPatrol for protection. I have disabled Spysweeper and will use it as an on demand scanner. I prefer Ewido 4.0 and am very pleased with its performance apart from this one minor problem.

4. OldRebel

This morning it does not seem that Ewido is autoaupdating properly. Perhaps it's because I am on dial up and Ewido tries to update before I connect to the Internet. I am used to seeing 3.5 update almost as soon as I dial in to my ISP. Not so with 4.0. I found this error file dated about the time I booted Windows this AM:

Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 00002741, Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287
    Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 00002741, Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287
    Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 0000274C, Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287

I guess it might try to update again in 60 minutes, If it doesn't, I will try manual updates. I may even turn off auto updating. I don't see any point in all my programs trying to update when I log into Windows if I am not yet connected to the Internet. It's waste of time and resources. Could it be programmed to update when it detects an Internet connection? (I am ignorant about such things)

BTW - What does this logfile mean (it's from about 5AM today - shortly before I shut down Windows):

synchronize database and filecache
    Timer deletion failed, Value: 000003E5
    application start was blocked because of several instances
    application start was blocked because of several instances

5. pdb

pdb Registered Member

Installed into the new Vista Beta that is available now to the Public as of June. Program does not work and Vista shuts it down. Why release a new version of Ewido when it will not work in Vista? Is there a patch coming shortly for this or is there to be another version release?

6. vinzenz.ewido

For sure it can be programmed in that way. I'll write it down on my list, but I cannot promise that it will be included in the next update ;)

Currently it tries automatically to update 1 minute after ewido.exe was started and then every 60 minutes.

Nothing special that are some logging informations, that is nothing critical ;)

BR

7. OldRebel

Thanks! That was a fast reply! I haven't even had my second cup of coffee yet this AM. LOL That update change would make more sense for dial up users. There seems to be many things trying to connect to the Internet when I first log into Windows - including that stupid Microsoft wgatray.exe. Postponing any of them until I actually connect to the Internet would make initial resource usage much more reasonable. I wish other software providers (including Microsoft - joke) were as responsive as Ewido!

8. vinzenz.ewido

Oh, I've forgot something. Such a check won't work correctly because users with autodial will get connected anyway.

:/

I'm sorry but we cannot add this "feature" :oops:

9. OldRebel

Oh well, it was good of you to let me know. BTW - Ewido just autoupdated at 10:38 AM. Everything is working properly!

10. pdb

pdb Registered Member

Trying to get all programs to work with Vista Beta - is there a fix to get the NEW Ewido program to work?

11. vinzenz.ewido

Vista is not supported at the moment. And it is noted on our download site

Of course we'll have a Vista ready version in the future but not at the moment.

Regards,

12. OldRebel

Well, Ewido is acting strangely again. I have disabled the guard and am using it only as an on demand scanner. The problem I am having is that when I close the GUI, Ewido disappears but keeps running. Then, when I try to click the tray icon or other shortcut to open the program again, I get NOTHING. Then when I try to log off Windows, Windows tells me Ewido is unresponsive and is still running. What the heck is going on with Ewidoo_O I found this information on the website about the GUI not being visible"
    The program is running but I can't see it. Why?

It looks like the main window is stuck outside the visible screen area. To correct this, please right click on the taskbar item and select "Move". After that, please press any cursor key on your keyboard. Now you should be able to reposition the window using your mouse into the visible area.
    END QUOTE

Now why is it doing thato_O I don't have any other programs whose GUI's go wandering off the screen. That is not normal. If there is not some improvement soon, it looks like my license will have been a waste of money.
    I had thought the problem might be my computer, but I did a full Dell Diagnostic, and memory and hardware are OK. I ran sfc /scannow and check disc and Windows is perfectly OK. I have uninstalled all my other RTP antispyware programs and installed Windows Defender instead. I am hoping that its "software explorers" can alert me to any drivers change or ANYTHING that might be conflicting with Ewido. At the moment, Ewido seems to be OK and opened and closed correctly the last time I did a manual check for updates. BUT - I am almost afraid now to open the Ewido GUI for fear that I cannot control it. This is pain in the neck!!!

13. OldRebel

Bump number 1

14. vinzenz.ewido

If ewido 4.0 is not visible only the icon in the tray is not shown.

It could be an iconcache related problem but I'm not sure.

The FAQ on ewido.net is still related to 3.5 since we have to figure out what are the frequently asked questions related to ewido

Why it is not responsible is another thing. Does it use a continous high CPU Usage at this moment?

On the other hand this issue can be a deadlock which was not detected until now. Unfortunately those deadlocks are very hard to find :( But we'll try to do our best.

Regards,

15. OldRebel

Hi! I don't know if Ewido is using high CPU's because I have only used it on demand since this problem start. I have the shield and autoupdates turned off. The "disappearing but still running" event has not reoccurred. When I close Ewido after manually updating and scanning, I am closing it from the tray item and then right clicking the system tray icon to exit. So far, it has been responsive to both starting and exiting. I uninstalled Spysweeper and WinPatrol and did as thorough registry clean up as I know how. How would I go about determining whether it were an icon cache problem? With Ewido shut down, the guard is only using 848 K., 68820 K peak memory usage, and 33268K VM. I just this minute turn it on and activated the shield and autoupdater. Ewido.exe is now using 8608 K memory and 42568 K VM, and the guard is now using 5328 K memory. The event that occurred before did not create an error log. I just ran a custom scan of memory, registry, and Document and Settings and CPU's ranged around 50% + or - except when it was scanning Local Settings when it was 100%. I don't know if any of this info means anything, but maybe some of it will be helpful.

16. vinzenz.ewido

I'm not sure if it was an icon cache problem, this was just a guess.
    And I cannot tell you how to figure out if it was. But there seems to be much trouble in XP with this problem (not only with ewido)

I meant if ewido is using much cpu while it is not respondive when you've tried to shutdown. While scanning high CPU usage is normal that was not the point ;)

And the memory usage doesn't tell too much about being not respondive. ;)

However, we're still improving the 4.0 and trying to remove all possible bug we can find, and being reported by the users.

Thanks for the information.

BR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.