Will burning Image to HDD then to DVD work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by h2ouup2, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h2ouup2

h2ouup2 Registered Member

I have noticed threads about DVD burning issues.

Before I try to backup to DVD 4 questions and will this work?

1. If I make an image and keep the size below that of a DVD to my HDD

2. After all images are done use Nero etc to burn to my DVD.

3. I know this is a two step process, but I really like to have off site backups to my drive.

4. I still can only make good images from the Boot CD and not from Windows. I hope it it fixed in the new build. I contacted Acronis.

They had me check my memory, my drive etc. everything was fine no errors. They finally wanted me to update my USB drivers on my External HDD, I tried Microsoft's site and it appears they are up to date.

I am running SP1 maybe I should upgrade to SP2? What do you think

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello h2ouupu2,

Firstly, if you happen to use any third party UDF packet writing software there is no need to also use Windows XP's built-in CD recording functionality. Indeed, it can often cause compatibility problems. Disable Windows XP's built-in recording feature as detailed <here>.

Using the "two-step" method, you create a split image to your HD and then burn either DVD-ROM (ISO) or DVD-ROM (UDF) data compilations onto blank DVD+/-R or DVD+/-RW disks. If a DVD+/-RW has previously been UDF formatted for packet writing (drag-and-drop file copying) then it must first be "blanked" by erasing the UDF file system via your UDF packet writing software.

When creating the initial image to your hard drive, choose the option to split the size manually and just type in the required size into the space provided (ignore the drop down pick-list). For DVD-ROM (ISO) data compilations, enter a size of 1492 MB and burn up to a maximum of three .tib files per DVD. If planning to burn DVD-ROM (UDF) data compilations then enter a size of 4.3 GB. Ensure you burn "Single Session" compilations and that each DVD is "Finalized" as part of the burn process.

I also strongly recommend that you reduce the burn speed to around half the maximum rated speed of your DVD recorder or media being used, whichever is the lesser as this greatly reduces the likelyhood of data corruption. Modern, high-speed, recorders can be too clever for their own good when it comes to burning a full disk of pure data (one bad byte on single disk renders the whole image useless). With this in mind, I would also recommend that you set the option in your recording software to verify the image after each disk has been burnt.

Regards

3. h2ouup2

h2ouup2 Registered Member

Thanks.:D

I already have XP built in burning disabled. I plan to use Nero to burn the *.tib files to DVD.

Funny thing. I turned off Windows Restore and my backup went from 22 GB to 10.5!

Didn't realize this had such an effect on the file sizes.:eek:

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The default size of system restore point storage is up to 12% of your HD capacity. The minimum size is 200 MB.
    Turning off system restore is fine but it can still have its uses. I still keep mine running and use it frequently. I find setting it to a 2% maximum a reasonable compromise as this gives several restore points without getting out of hand.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.