Acronis Secure Zone Access

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kwhiz01, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhiz01

kwhiz01 Registered Member

When I look at my Acronis backup folder in Windows Explorer, I do not see Acronis Secure Zone listed (I have set Explorer to show all hidden files). However, when I use Acronis 9 Home to back up my entire disk, it does show up on the partition listing of my second hard drive when I am being asked what partition do I want to backup. But then when I get to the screen that asks for the file name of the backup, I don't have the option offered of backing up to the Acronis Secure Zone. If I just blank out the file name, will the backup go to the Secure zone automatically? That is what the help file and/or FAQ seem to say.

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

It has been a long time since I last used Secure Zone, but I seem to remember that it works as you say: no name for the image file and upon restoration you select the right image from the set stored in SZ by date/time.

But since you have a second drive, you don't need SZ, unless you want True Image to automatically delete the image files based on FIFO when SZ fills up. As you found out, the files stored inside SZ are accessible only from True Image (not from Explorer or any other file manager), therefore you cannot manage them or perhaps copy some to DVD.

Secure Zone was useful on systems with a single drive and a single partition on it and with no external disk available, just because you can't restore the C: partition from an image stored on C: itself.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  3. kwhiz01

kwhiz01 Registered Member

Thanks for your comments. I only installed the secure zone because I had to to get the Startup Recovery manager set up and activated. I really don't see the need for a secure zone but sure want the Recovery Manager.:doubt:

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kwhiz01,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please be aware that, as bVolk has already mentioned above, Acronis Secure Zone works exactly as you say. Namely, there are no file names in Acronis Secure Zone and it should not show up in Windows Explorer or any other file browsers as it is hidden and accessible for Acronis True Image only (see section 3.3 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide for further details).

If you do not want to store your backups in Acronis Secure Zone, but want the capabilities of Acronis Startup Recovery Manager then simply create Acronis Secure Zone of a minimal size (39.22 MB needed to store the files of Acronis Startup Recovery Manager) or decrease the size of the already existing Acronis Secure Zone using Manage Secure Zone wizard accessible via the main program window and keep Acronis Startup Recovery Manager activated (see section 3.4 of the above mentioned User's Guide for details).

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi again kwhiz01,

Would you please verify and let me know (for my peace of mind, I just can't remember) whether having Startup Recovery Manager activated leaves F8 for Win Advanced Startup Options (e.g. safe mode) still active?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bVolk,

I'm afraid that it is not possible to use Windows Advanced Startup Options if you have Acronis Startup Recovery Manager activated. Please note that this issue is already known by our Development Team and most probably it will be fixed in future, but unfortunately the exact time frame is not available yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Thank you Kirill,

So that's what made me part with Startup Recovery Manager quite some time ago.
    I knew it wasn't just a matter of affinity.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

And it's another very good reason why, when creating a Secure Zone, TI's default option should be to NOT activate the Startup Recovery Manager!! I've harped on about this many times before (even posted it in the True Image Wish-List thread) but to no avail :(

Regards

9. juliusd3

juliusd3 Registered Member

Hi
    I just bought and installed TI9 and yep! I turned on the Start Up Recovery Mgr, I have a new Dell E510. Does that mean I can no longer use Dell's Restore to original state because the MBR was rewritten? Is there any other functionality I may have lost by having TI rewrite my MBR? Can the original MBR be restored? The documentation says something about Reactivating the 3rd party Boot Mgr but does not say how to do it. Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello juliusd3,

I'm afraid so :'(.

I'm not sure but it may well have also clobbered the special Dell Utility partition.

If you created a TI Disk/Partition image before you created the Acronis Secure Zone and activated the Startup Recovery Manager then you can restore the original MBR & Track 0 data from that backup image. Otherwise, have a careful read of these two Dan Goodell articles:

<Inside the Dell Utility Partition>
    <Inside the Dell Restore Partition>

Regards

11. juliusd3

juliusd3 Registered Member

Thank you very much for the Quick Response. I will read these articles and digest the info before I take any next steps.

Have a great weekend!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.