Rules in Limited Account

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by octogen, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octogen

octogen Registered Member

I apologize if this has been addressed already. When I log onto a limited account, I notice I can do things like change the browser homepage without a peep from RegDefend. When I open the RD via the systray, I notice that there are no rules listed. When I try to import rules I get a runtime error message and then RD crashes. What gives? Did I do something wrong? Did I not do something? Thanks in advance.

2. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Sorry. I found my answer here.

It's amazing what you find when you do a little digging. ;)

3. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

As I am just planning a fresh install of my system, my intention was to run windows "safely" as a limited user. As I am the only user, I will also be the admin. Obviously I can install RD as admin but does the quoted statement mean that running my pc later in user mode will impact the operation of RD?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes, it will not work correctly, I do know that Jason is currently working on Multiuser account additions to GSS and researching other enhancements.

I to am looking forward to the next beta :)

Pilli

5. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

thanks Pilli,

but that means I have a choice either to use the security/protection offered by RD but run my pc as admin considered by many to be a security issue in itself or create a user account and forgo RD:doubt: :'(

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Not sure if you can use the Run As command in RD as I have not tried it - Right click the RD .exe and then select "run as" tick "following user" then complete the admin log on. This may give you access to the GUI at least.

Pilli

7. tlu

tlu Guest

I guess you installed GSS in the c:\Programs folder. Have you tried to grant full access rights to your restricted user just for the .gsa and .gsr file you are using? In my opinion this is no security risk as these files are locked as long as they are used by GSS, so no malware or any other program can delete or alter them.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

Follow-up: I have to admit that my recommendation was a theoretical one in that sense that I had GSS installed on a partition where my user account has full access. In order to verify my statement, I deinstalled GSS and installed it anew in the c:\Programs folder. I gave write permission to my user account for ADsecure.gsa and Tony.gsr (that's the ruleset I'm using) - and voilà: I have no problems with altering, deleting or creating rules. As mentioned above, I don't see any special security risk in doing this as these files are locked by GSS so they should be safe against any unintended tampering.

Result: Working with GSS on a user account needn't cause any problems. Well, with one exception: For an update of GSS you have to be logged on as admin. But in the case of an update I believe you'll get an error message by GSS so you'd know that you have to temporarily log on as admin. That's why I wouldn't consider this a serious problem.

9. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Tlu, you manage to run Gss properly in non admin account ?
    I understand about file access share...
    But i tougth there was other problem ... such as permission to run driver... the run as command work as intended ?

10. berng

berng Registered Member

I have a non Admin (limited user) account setup in XP home and Ghost works without any issues, when logged on as that user. I did have to install it under the admin id.

11. tlu

tlu Guest

f3x, as mentioned there is no problem with running GSS in a non-admin account. You just have to give write permission for the Adsecure.gsa and the .gsr file you are using. Only for the installation of GSS you need admin rights, of course, as pointed out by berng.

12. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i am trying to run RD with a limited user account, running win xpsp2-"home".. i don't know anything about "grant full access rights to your restricted user just for the .gsa and .gsr file".. can someone give me step-by-step instructions on how to do that?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

14. tlu

tlu Guest

The problem with the XP Home edition is that the security tab available in the XP Pro edition doesn't exist - only Bill Gates knows, why. So one way to change access rights is using the command line program cacl.exe. Much easier, however, is installing Fajo XP FSE that adds the security tab known in the Pro version. On that website you'll also find some links to Microsoft sites where the basics are explained.

15. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

Or scroll down to the section titled "Advanced File Sharing & Security" of this page.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.