Blue Screen Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

During the last 2 weeks, I have git two blue screens that never happened with me before.

Everytime I received message that windows is closed to prevent your computer, and check for any new software or hardware install that may be the cause of conflict.

FIRST TIME

Technical Information

*** STOP: 0x0000008E ( 0x0000003 , 0x804E3586, 0xA995BBB8, 0x00000000 )

SECOND TIME

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information

*** STOP : 0x000000D1 ( 0x006C0078, 0x0000002, 0x00000000, 0xAAEEB703 )

*** fwdrv.sys - Address AAEEB703 base at AAEC2000, DateStamp 43af89d

My suspision is that there is some coflict with RollbackRx as I installed it about 2 weeks back. I am using Toshiba satelklite M 70 notebook, 107, 512, 40 with XP Home SP2. However I ma not sure about this. I am running many other security appliances(PG free, Avast, AH, Window,s Defender beta 2, Winpatrol free, Kerio firewall, AntiHook, Online Armor Trial) and other types of software aslo. Any idea?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Aigle

If your suspicion about Rollback is based on that file name fwdrv.sys, that file isn't part of Rollback. I have Rollback on my system and I don't have any such file. You were asking in another thread about any conflicts between PG, and antihook. Best symptom of conflict is just what you are seeing, only question is what is conflicting with what. This is one disadvantage, in my program, in trying to mix freebie's. Too many apps. I am afraid you are just going to have to start removing them one by one until you find the conflict. I would start with any beta's and go from there.

Pete

3. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Quite right Pete, it's not from Rollback, but from Sunbelt Kerio Firewall.
    Seems aigle is getting BSOD's from installing multiple firewalls or else uninstalling incorrectly. :doubt:

Besides aigle you're not the only one.
    Got the same BSOD's when Xfilter.dll from FilseClab still resided on my system, while Kerio was installed. :ouch:
    My fault, because I never read the uninstall instructions on FilseClab's website. :rolleyes:

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Are u sure it is by Kerio. I had before ZA Pro, Jetico and NIS but uninstalled them by correct way. So what should I do now.

5. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Yes, quite sure it's Kerio.
    See also this topic. ;)
    If I were you, could you lookup if another component from a previous firewall is still started at bootup.
    Like I said before, I had the problem with FilseClab Xfilter. :doubt:

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think the latest version might be buggy. Can I try older version to get rid of these BSOD? If so, from where I can download it?

7. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

A bit buggy with those BSOD's, but I'll wait for the update. :)
    Have a look here for previous versions. ;)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I cantacted Kerio support and they told me BSOD is known issue with Kerio and they are trying to find a fix for it. They have also posted a remedy to try.

The following utility will reset the configuration information in Kerio.
    If you get any security warnings about a script running, please allow
    the entire script. Also if Kerio warns about one program launching
    another program, please allow this as well. After the utility has run
    kerio will be reset back to defaults, and may ask you about programs
    accessing the internet again.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/ihs/skpfreset.exe

I wonder if there is any other person in the forum having BSOD problem with Kerio?

See my posts here.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=259104#post259104

9. rac1234

rac1234 Registered Member

aigle,

Interesting - I'm using a Toshiba Satellite Pro M70 with slightly different specifications and getting the same problem with Kerio - occasional BSODs when I create firewall rules. It's possible our computers have a something in common (a driver, perhaps) that conflicts with the Kerio firewall driver.

I too emailed Sunbelt about this problem and received confirmation that it is a known issue with version 4.2.3 and usually occurs when you click "Permit" or "Deny" after the same application has raised three or four firewall alerts in a row. Their suggested workaround was to create a rule on the first alert, so that the app doesn't need to prompt again. This is not a lot of help if you tend to create very specific packet filter rules ("advanced rules").

Sunbelt say they are working on a fix as a top priority, but couldn't say when it would be available. I like the Kerio firewall otherwise, but won't buy it until I can test a version in which this has been fixed.

Regards,
    rac1234

10. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

HI, Just for follow up.

I uninstalled latest version and installed Kerio version 4.2.2, until now no BSODn on first day, it seems fine.

BTW, latest version ahd also stopped BSOD almost but I did not like its buggy past behaviour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.