What does "quiet acpi=off no apic" do?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmk94903, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

After learning from the Development team that my old AMD K6II 500MHz test system is too old to run TI 9, I decided to get rid of it and "upgrade" to an HP Pavilion Pentium 4 1500MHz test bed.

When I tried to boot it with the TI 9 (Buld 2337) Recovery CD into Full mode, the system just hung. That was a bit of a disappointment, but retrying and pressing F11 so that I could edit the command line to "quiet acpi=off noapic" (without the quotation marks), allowed TI 9 to run normally in Full mode. I was able to create a backup and verify it.

OK, so what does this command actually do? Can anyone explain?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi John,

ACPI = Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
    APIC = Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller

It seems that not all computers and/or peripherals are fully ACPI and/or APIC compliant. This <previous Acronis Support reply>, including the embeded link, provides a little more information.

Regards

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi Tom,

That's what I was looking for. I was really disturbed when TI 8 and 9 wouldn't run on this initially. Well, TI 8 eventually came up, but it was running extremely slowly without a mouse. TI 9 just locked up. As soon as I used the quiet..., both TI 8 and TI 9 ran normally. Looks like I can use this as my new test bed.

Thanks,

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I would have thought the Interrupt Controller part at least would be required but obviously it doesn't. IMO, this whole thing begs the question, "Does anybody really need this stuff to run TI and if not, why can't the "fix-it" settings be the default?". I admit I don't have much of a clue about this but I have wondered about it given how many questions are answered with try "Quiet ...".

Can anybody enlighten me?

5. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

I need those parameters too - how can I get them automatically into my boot disk and if possible in the execution script out of windows

Ruben

6. Menorcaman

Hello Ruben,

I'm afraid you can't. However, contact support@acronis.com as per the Acronis Support reply in this previous thread titled <automaticly run of quiet acpi=off noapic command on boot> and they may well provide you with a CD ISO of the rescue disk that contains the required parameters.

Regards

7. tosbsas

Hmm - got the programm as a gift from a friend in Germany - I am in Argentina - cannot provide all the docu they ask for - anyone got that iso??

And how about getting it into windows??

Ruben

8. Menorcaman

Again, I'm afraid not. TI's rescue environment is Linux based (no matter whether you access it via the bootable rescue CD or by rebooting from within Windows mode). There is no mechanism whereby TI's Windows mode can export Linux commands into the Linux kernel Command Line.

Regards

9. tosbsas

ok, I see - sad but well not such a harm :)-))

Ruben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.