Plug Image: Bug in TI 9.2337

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

OS is Win 2000 SP4.

Recently, I installed Acronis True Image 9.

Since then, I've been getting strange error messages periodically. The messages are for Event ID 50. The messages seem to come a few at a time, but at uneven intervals.

Event 50 issues WARNING messages of the form:

"{Lost Delayed-Write Data} The system was attempting to transfer file data from buffers to \Device\HarddiskVolumeN. The write operation failed, and only some of the data may have been written to the file."

Where the N in VolumeN varies, most recently, it was 15, 16 and 19, previously, it was 15,16, 19 and 21. The message is from ftdisk, I guess that's some windows service.

I tested both Ghost 10 and True Inage 9.

Using dmdiag, I can see that it is True Image that is generating, e.g, HarddiskVolume15 when I plug in the volumes from the backup.

Although I was able plug volumes yesterday.
    Today, TI refused to do so until I uninstalled and re-installed TI.

Happily, I was then able to plug volumes and use dmdiag to confirm the above.

Of course, it gets worse.

After unplugging the virtual volumes via TI’s GUI, I then exited TI and took a peek at the event log.

Although, I have not yet seen any further Event 50 errors, I am seeing what are dozens, perhaps over 100, Event 11 errors (Source: Disk) of the form:

“The driver detected a controller error on \Device\HarddiskN\DR21.”

Where N is 6 or 14 or …, there’s likely an error for each of the virtual drives, but I am not aware of any way to save the event log detail to a file, so I cannot llok at it.

The actual hard drives are 0 to 5 and they have no errors.

It would appear that the TI Plug Image mechanism leaves something to be desired.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Could you please clarify when exactly you have received the error message? Please describe your actions step-by-step.

Could you please reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. Howard Kaikow

Here's further info:

Subsequently. I also received the following errors in the event log.

Event 26 issues INFORMATION messages from Application Popup that state:

"Windows - Delayed Write Failed: Windows was unable to save all the data for
    the \Device\HarddiskVolumeN\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be
    caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please
    try to save this file elsewhere."

In this case, the N in HarddiskVolumeN was 18, 20, and 26, all virtual volumes created by Acronis.

In addition, I got the Event 50 errors I mentioned in my original thread on HarddiskVolume18, 20 and 26.

4. Howard Kaikow

I already told you what version I used in my original posting.

1. Start TI.
    2. Create virtual volumes.
    3. Close virtual volumes.
    4. Exit TI.

There is nothing in theTI log.

As occurred before, when I again start True Image, I am unable to create any plug ins. Previously, I had to uninstall, then re-install TI to be able to create plugins. so, this problem is also reproducible.

If I get a chance, I'll uninstall, then re-install TI and see what I can do.

5. Howard Kaikow

OK, here's what I've done:

1. Uninstalled TI
    2. rebooted
    3. deleted TI files in ApplicationData, and verified none were in Program Files or Common Files
    4. Used Acronis Report program, created reportBeforeRunningTI.txt
    5. System Information created SystemInformationBeforeRunningTI.txt
    6. dmdiag created dmdiagBeforeRunningTI.txt
    7. Verified what was last event in event log, so I would know where to startlooking.
    8. Started TI.
    9. Clicked on Plug Images
    10. Now, something unexpected. Windows popped up a message stating that a new device had ben found and I needed to reboot.
    And lLug Images failed. My guess is that Windows/TI had not yet inmitialized the Acronis device after the reboot. I'd not previously seen this behavior.
    11. Rebooted.
    12. System Information to create AfterDeviceAddedSystemInformation.txt.
    13. Started TI.
    14. Clicked on Plug Images. Virtual drives were created for 9 of the 10 logical drives on the 3 hard drives. Not enough drive letters available to do the last drive.
    15. Clicked on OK.
    16. dmdiag created AfterPlugImage.txt.
    17. Exited TI.
    18. dmdiag created AfterExitTI.txt.
    19. Used Acronis Report program, created reportAfterRunningTI.txt
    20. System Information created SystemInformationAfterRunningTI.txt
    21. SAved Event log listing for errors since starting TI in EventLogDuetoTI.txt.

All referenced files are being sent to Acronis in PlugImageBug-1.zip.
    The event errors list has 482 Event code 11 errors.
    I expect that the code 26 amd/or 50 errors mentioned elsewhere in this thread will show up sometime later today.

Note that I've seen the 26 and 50 error codes by installing TI in two different Win 2000 systems on my multiboot PC.
    I did this to eliminate the possibility that GHost 10 was interfering with TI. The other OS does not have Ghost 10.

I wil report this problem to TI's support by attaching the .zip file to the report and giving them the URL for this thread.
    I am willing to communicate with support in te following manner:

1. By posting here, they can read the thread.
    2. By internet email at the address I used to registyer my product.
    3. DEpending on where they are, by telephone.
    4. I will not communicate using private messages in this forum or at a web site.

6. Howard Kaikow

Just completed reporting problem to Acronis,now to decide whether to go straight to bed or to eat before doing so.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Howard Kaikow,

Please be aware that having a meal before going to bed will be detrimental to your system.

Best regards

8. Howard Kaikow

I know that, but my stomach was grumbling so loudly, the noise would have kept me awake.

Of course, I woke up at 15:00, so now my body is way off schedule.

9. Howard Kaikow

IMNSHO, the evidence would indicate that TI is issuing some requests to
    write on its virtual drives and update the MFT on those drives. But I might
    be ending TI before those commands are finished. Of course, that would be a
    TI bug, especially since the virtual drives are read-only,

My initial concern was that the references were to my actual drives. As the
    references are to the virtual volumes, they do not affect my real drives.

I also suspect that, on the system that also has Ghost, the problem is more
    visible as Ghost likely issues commands to use the same drive letters for
    virtual drives and that causes windoze to try to finish off the orphan TI
    requests.

I've already reproduced the problem by installing TI on a system without
    Ghost.

Bye thee waye, running dmdiag when Ghost is running, I see that Ghost uses a diferent nomenclature for the virtual volumes. So the errors are not references to Ghost drives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.