Future Changes to Nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackspear, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u should keep in mind that emon scans imap accounts and imon scans pop3 account. also i believe nod32 v3 will still have a http/pop3 scanner but it wont be called IMON.

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Not exactly. EMON scans Outlook e-mail using the MAPI programming interface. This means that any e-mail received by Outlook (POP3, IMAP, Exchange server, etc.) is capable of being scanned by EMON. However, IMAP e-mail received by any other client will not be scanned.

As WSFuser states, though, NOD32 will probably have some sort of replacement for IMON that has similar capabilities. One would think so, anyway. :ninja:

3. Undecidable

Undecidable Registered Member

Nod32 should scan emails with Mime errors

At the moment if Nod32/On Demand encounters an email with a mime error,
    it refuses to scan and gives the message:
    "error occurred while reading archive"

However the email is readable with the email client,
    and attachments may be save-able.
    (I have 100 such over the last 3 years)

A message like this can obviously be deliberately constructed.
    (of course I hope Amon will catch the attachment if I try to execute,
    but this defeats the purpose of an on-demand scan)

This seems like a hole which should be plugged.

4. rawr

rawr Registered Member

..AlwaysOnTop option for the Control Center would be nice.

5. Trial to Commercial Version Settings

I suggest a module that lets users migrate program settings during evaluation to the commercial version. I recently purchased the commercial version after 3 days of evaluation, but I realized the process of reconfiguration to be discouraging. This is also helpful for those who like to reformat the OS periodically.. Who agrees with me?

6. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Kaspersky had announced beta 1 of KAV 2006 and KIS 2006 and some of their new features looked impressive. I am wondering if future versions of NOD32 will have comparative features or not.

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

They will.

8. berng

berng Registered Member

There should be user defined filter capability for log files. The user should be able to suppress the generation of log message by message type or text.

Then messages that continually repeat can be excluded. 90% of my log is -

Time Module Event User
    11/1/2005 9:41:54 AM EMON Unable to load module (2). NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

:blink:

Let it be a surprise.....:D

10. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

11. Marcelo

Marcelo Registered Member

Which features are confirmed as being implemented in the next version of NOD32 until now?

12. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I think that NOD32 should give more details about "probably unknown NewHeur_PE".. For example: "File copies itself to .... File tries to send itself via mail... and so on..."

13. Brian N

Me too - Norman Sandbox is really good at displaying such information, particular what the malware is doing from start to finish.

14. fosius

fosius Registered Member

It is Norman SANDBOX which really impressed me how detailed information it showed me.

15. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

NOD32 v3 Suggestions (from a New User)

Despite my being a very new user (less than one week) --- or perhaps because I am a very new user <grin> --- I hope that at least some of the following suggestions for the next version of NOD32 might be of interest and use to Eset.

1) General very annoying annoyance: NOD32's program and especially its help files should pay attention to --- and use --- Windows' font size setting, located at Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, font size. That should include checking all fields that contain text, to make sure that each field is expandable, sufficiently to contain larger text. This recommendation applies to NOD32's own user interface, and its alternative use of the Windows interface.

Background: On a laptop 15" UXGA (1600x1200 pixels) screen, the NOD32 2.50.25 interface print is almost too small to read, and probably impossible to read for those with even mild presbyopia. And for help file text, the small print problem is even worse.

In my experience, for most software, the UXGA high resolution screen is made legible by using that Windows Display Properties font size setting. I run at 144dpi, i.e. 150% of the usual 96dpi; other people may run even larger (for awhile I ran 167%). But NOD32 apparently ignores that setting. Instead, NOD32 should use that setting, for both program and help text.

If that badly needed change is made, testing for adequately expandable field size is essential. (Some software, e.g. Sunbelt Software's Counterspy 1.5.x, fails to do so: it uses Windows' font size but forgets to enlarge the fields containing a larger font. So at 150%, I cannot read much of the text on the latest Counterspy interface.)

2) General annoyance: To have to resize the NOD32 Control Center and other NOD32 windows every time one opens them is annoying. Control Center Module windows, for Program and for Helps, should remember their window position and size, and also (perhaps as an option) the degree to which they were last expanded. (In the CC, I like to have every + sign expanded, including Update, Logs, and System tools.)

3) Specific annoyance: For the NOD32 System Tools Scheduler/Planner, even with the box extended the width of a 15" UXGA screen (that is, setting the box to a width of 1600 pixels), several of the default entries cannot be completely read without carefully enlarging each column and then scrolling horizontally. Surely the long entries (which contain useful information) could be written on more than a single line. Alternatively, all entries could be brief enough to fit in a window of reasonable width, with their additional information included as footnotes.

4) Specific frightening language improvement, in AMON, Setup, Actions Tab: For more clarity, the last option in "If an infiltration is detected," should read "Move newly created INFECTED files to Quarantine."

5) Specific confusing language improvement, in NOD32 On-Demand (Manual) Scanner, Run NOD32, Profiles tab: To match the help file's information, I think that "Run this profile in cleaning mode" should be "Enable this profile to clean infections."
    Why this option is necessary I know not, since settings to clean are in the Actions tab, and also in the button choices at the bottom of the Run NOD32 window. Therefore, I may be missing the point of this option entirely. If so, that confirms the need to clarify its language.

6) Plea for major organizational revision: NOD32's modular structure makes sense and is a great concept. But each module's structure needs to be revised so that the structure is parallel for all module setups.

More specifically, each module's setup should have the same general structure. For example, every module should use either a left side "tree" menu, or tabs: for some modules to use a tree while others use tabs is very confusing to a new user. And corresponding setup screens in each module should have the same layout. For example, every module's setup should have a help button, as now in AMON, with help accessible either via the button or Function key 1, ideally with the button having a "Help: Press or use Fn1" descriptive label.

This massive revision is needed to assist new users (e.g. me) in understanding and setting up the program, to show the new user the analogous purpose of each module. As the program now is, the new user easily loses understanding of the analogous consequences of each module's analogous settings.

7) NOD32 has an enormous number of settings (because so many of them are repeated in other modules and in different profiles). To set them up individually is very time consuming, especially when some are "hidden" behind "Advanced" buttons. A master table of settings might be worth considering as an alternative arrangement for faster setup, and to facilitate review of the settings selected.
    I suggest a matrix: a column for each module (perhaps with additional columns for "submodules" as appropriate), and a row for each setting, with default settings checked, and settings inapplicable to any module greyed out.
    Even if such a table were not used, setting it up might facilitate development of a "parallel structure" for each module's setup.

:cool: Separate helps for each module make sense. But the Control Center should include an index and search capability (covering both settings text and Help text) not only for the Control Center narrowly defined, but also a master index and search capability that covers all modules. For example, it is annoying to vaguely remember some setting involving portable computers, but not be able to recall in which module and in which module component it was located, and then discover that in the Control Center, searching for "portable" produces no hits. Module by module searches are very time consuming, and should not be necessary.

9) Plea for major organizational revision of the NOD32 On-Demand (Manual) Scanner, Run NOD32, submodule:
    This module includes buttons that initiate manual scans, tabs to select settings that determine scan details, and the Scanning Log. I do not understand why these items are arranged as they are within the module. In particular, I do not understand why Run NOD32 includes selecting Profile settings that determine the details of different scan types, buttons that initiate scans (probably for one-time special situations), and the scanning log.

The NOD32 Manual Scanner can be run not only from within its Run NOD32 option, but also from any file or folder's context menu, or using the NOD32 module's Local, In-depth Analysis, or Diskette scan commands. To the new user, it is TOTALLY unclear when one would initiate a scan using the Scan or Scan & Clean buttons at the bottom of Run NOD32 (after having selected an appropriate profile), or using one of the buttons that are positioned at the "same level" as Run NOD32.

For the Run NOD32 option, the "Run" is misleading because it is seriously incomplete. A more complete name might be "Setup NOD32 Manual Scanner Profile Setup, with Facilities to Run Non-Profile Special Situation Scans." (The clumsiness of that title suggests that the NOD32 module needs to be reorganized.)

Run NOD32 can customize the Control Center, CC-Diskettes, CC-Local, CC-In-Depth, Context Menu, and My Profile profiles, and Run NOD32 ALSO can ignore those profiles and instead can select settings for a single scan job --- probably for some special situation --- and then either Scan or Scan & Clean from Run NOD32's bottom row buttons.

Within the NOD32 module, the Run NOD32 option strikes me as an odd combination of settings selection and scan initiation. Instead, I suggest an opening list of profiles (including "Special Scan" profile instead of "My Profile.")

I do not see the logic underlying the order (sequence) of Run NOD32's tabs.

Roger Folsom

16. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I would love to see Nod users to be able to make a bootable CD instead of trying to use the floppy. As you accumulate the definitions it would all fit on a CD perfectly. All AV vendors should offer that to customers.;)

Rilla927

17. Brian N

Agree. Last time I used a floopy was around 2001 when I removed the drive from my pc and threw it in the trash :D

18. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

This topic was started over a year ago, so can anyone tell me what out of all the things on the wishlist got implemented?

19. Rilla927

I'm sorry, but using a floppy doesn't make much sense. There are time's when some of us are hit and we can't boot into windows to run a scan....Eset I hope you consider this feature, seriously.

Rilla927

20. Rilla927

I'm new to Nod and I figured it was mentioned before, but no harm in mentioning it again.

Beetlejuice you made a very good point about the wishlist/ what was implemented so far comparison; I wonder if anyone has ever kept track.

Rilla927

21. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i havent, but im wondering the exact samething as well.

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well Blackspear started this thread so.......:D

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I already suggested that to Blackspear some months ago... :(

24. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

A lot of work to do it, and at the moment I simply don't have the time :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Someone else is welcome to go through each and see what has already been included...

Cheers :D

25. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

I don't know if this have been mentioned before but I would like to see a way to backup all the settings of NOD32. It is annoying to have to manually set all the profiles and modules to my preferred settings every time that I install the program, there are simply too much settings to have control on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.