threads heading remain bold

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by hadi, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

If anything the security settings on my computer are more lax now than ever as I have been using default for the past few weeks not having the time to go in and change to my own. There are no known cookie restrictions on my computer. :)

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Let's pause for a minute here... mOp, the information posted for hadi does not apply to you. hadi is a guest and guests have different functionality from members, and they use different cookie values, as well.

As mentioned above, the read/unread thread information for members is stored in the database, so the cookies are not relevant for that functionality. Checking the cookies isn't likely to turn up anything for you. Now, as for the database and forum software... it is all functioning fine. You are the first member to mention any problem with the unread thread markers. You mention that others are having the same problem - please point out where they've posted about it and let's try to gather all the relevant information.

Also, since the code that manages this functionality is shared by all members, there is nothing I can check specific to you. Nor is there any functionality I can change for how the code works for you, again since it is the same code for all members.

Perhaps we should step back... exactly what are you seeing? Are threads that you have read still showing as unread (bolded) all the time? Is it immediate, or only when you return to a forum section? Have you actually used the "Mark Forums Read" link to set all forums to read state, ie. none bolded? What happened exactly? If threads keep turning up as unread, is it all threads or only some?

Have you fully closed the forum here, cleared all cache and cookies, and logged in from scratch since you noticed this problem? There were people having problems in the first days after the upgrade because they had cached versions of the javascript routines in the webpages here, which were no longer compatible with the 3.5 version of vBulletin.

3. manOFpeace

Bubba, sorry for cross posting. I can confirm (no evidence) that I am logged on to Wilders at least 98% of the time and I would love to see the database, I would not keep persisting if I knew I was not logged on. I rest my case. ;)

4. manOFpeace

Hello LWM, Yes I am actually so peed of going to Quick Links that I took to posting here to-night. I unfortunately have had to re-install my system twice in these past few weeks meaning I was starting from scratch again. Again I will confirm that I am logged on 98% of the time and if records were kept they would confirm I visit Wilders up to a dozen times each day looking for updates. There would be no point in me coming here to tell untruths about this. I can't say any more than I have already posted.
    If you doubt my allegations then I am sorry, I have nothing more to say, I wish to say that in the nicest possible way. :)

5. LowWaterMark

mOp, no one is doubting you... I simply do not understand exactly you are seeing. You haven't fully explained the conditions of it, so I can not advise you any further until you do. Also, forget about whether you are logged in or not, I'm not sure why that was made a priority question, nor is anyone posting that they are doubting you on that.

So please, start over... What is the effect of what you are seeing exactly? What threads stay bold? How many in what sections and ranges of dates/times? Is it all threads, everywhere - or only some? I need details in order to even start researching this as there are no others posting about such a problem here.

6. manOFpeace

I regularly visit "Update" and "Nod32 V2" forums. No matter how often I go there, all the new posts are posted in darker type. They remain that way and the list just gets longer until I go to "Quick Links" and mark them read. That's it, I just don't know what more information I can supply, if you have any questions I will try to answer. o_O

7. LowWaterMark

Actually, that explanation helps a lot since it provides some specific details of what you are doing and seeing as a result.

One question more... Let's just look at the Updates forum situation to start. You go into the 'Update Alerts' section and see maybe a page of threads all showing in bold because they are "new". Do you then actually read all those threads to get them marked as read, or are you expecting that they will get unbolded after time has passed, or when you leave that section and return a bit later?

You see, the old version of vBulletin had a concept of "session time out" and after a 15 minute period of inactivity at the forum, all threads got automatically marked as read - in all forum sections. However, that was actually not a desired functionality for most people because they were always "losing" the unread thread markers, and weren't sure which threads they had or had not actually read the most recent posts from. Because of this weakness in design, the vBulletin developers made the change to make read/unread thread marking a database function where each and every thread on the forum could be held in an unread state until the member actually read it specifically.

Threads must actually be read (ie. clicked into - each and every one of them) in order for them to be marked as read. Or, a member must use one of the mark as read links (either the "Mark This Forum Read" for one sub-forum like Update Alerts, or the global "Mark Forums Read" from Quick Links) to mark a mass set of threads all as read.

Threads no longer get automatically marked as read solely because of the passage of time. They must either be specifically read, or one of the Mark links must be used.

8. manOFpeace

Therein lies my problem. It used to be a visit to the thread everything was left as read. I do not read every post. Only those of interest which very often means I do not read any. If I see an update I go to it not bothering to open the post. :)

9. LowWaterMark

Okay this all makes sense then... The funny thing is that the automatic (timeout based) marking of threads as read, was considered to be vBulletin's single biggest weakness by most people. The lack of a "sticky" unread thread marking system, (so people could return whenever they wanted and still have all threads they haven't actually read, no matter how old, remain marked as unread), was a wish-list item for years until they finally implemented it in vB 3.5.

I'm afraid that this is the way vBulletin works now for members, and you will need to use one of the "Mark ... Read" links from now on to get the threads all marked off the way you want them.

10. manOFpeace

Good night LWM, 2.45am here. ;)

11. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

I am seeing a similar behavior, with respect to when I read a new thread or a new message in an existing thread, of that thread not being marked read when I return to the boards index page. I first thought it might be a problem with my browser of choice, Maxthon - IE based), but after trying various things I have narrowed the problem, for me, to this.

(FYI - Maxthon is a tabbed browser. When I visit Wilders I will open the main Wilders page and login, then I will open the group that contains the boards that I read each in a new tab.)

A thread/message is not marked read when I use the right-click context menu back command to navigate to the boards index page. However when I click the boards name, either at the top or bottom of a message thread, that thread/message is marked read. o_O

Any idea if this is a Maxthon related issue or if there is something in the vBulletin software that is not recognizing the right-click context menus back command and thus not updating whether a thread/message is read and removing the unread indication?

12. LowWaterMark

As far as I know, the "Back" function in all browsers simply steps you back one page into your browser history. If that is the case, then I would suspect going back from a thread to the thread index you used to get to that thread,should still show it as unread. vBulletin is not handling that function as it is all happening locally on your system.

I was just able to recreate that in Firefox. I had two threads in this General Topics section that were bolded with new posts. I'm answering this one, so I opened this subforum in another browser window... clicked on the one remaining bolded thread's "Go to first new post" button ([​IMG]), which took me to the one new post I hadn't read yet... then I used right-click "Back" option from the context menu, and the browser simply steped back in my history and showed that same General Topics index with the thread still bolded. (I did the same thing with a different forum section and unread thread using IE, showing the same functionality.)

If that is what you mean, then that is normal functionality since there is no dialog with the forum software/server in using the Back feature in a browser.

13. Disciple

LWM thanks for the quick reply, that is exactly what I am seeing and mean. Funny thing is I post on the ZA User Forum which is running on the lithium forum software, and it does preform that way. Navigating to a boards index page from a message by the right-click context menu back command or my Logitech mouse back button, the thread is displayed as read. Oh well.

Where can I officially request that this functionality be incorporated into the vBulletin software?

14. LowWaterMark

15. Disciple

Thank you, suggestion duly posted.

Note: another advantage to using the right-click context menus back command or the mouse back button is that I am taken back to the position on the board I was at before reading the thread/message. While using the forum navigation diagram I am taken back to the top of the board and have to scroll the thread list again.

Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.