Scanning Gmail

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by HelpFromFrance, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

I have wanted to change to Nod32 but have found several places that says that it cannot scan Gmail because of the SSL. Just a quick question in this case, how does AVG do it? Surely if they can Nod32 should be able to. Here is the link to the setup, could this be done with NOD32?

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?3,25035,backpage=,sv=

Thanks, waiting to change,
    HelpFromFrance

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If NOD32 was to scan SSL emails, you would never more could feel safe when communicating with secure servers as anyone else would also be able to decipher the communication.

If you use MS Outlook, it will first decipher the data and then pass it to EMON via MAPI for checking. It's not possible to check encrypted data directly at Winsock level where IMON sits.

3. HelpFromFrance

Marcos,

I do not mean to be impolite, but that is not the question I ask. AVG seems to be able to do it, because I am using it now and my email through Gmail comes through verified. That is why I put the link showing how they do it to know if NOD32 can do it that way also.

Have a good day,
    helpFromFrance

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

5. HelpFromFrance

TheTOM_SK,

Thanks for your reply. I guess it cannot be done with NOD32, I don't know how AVG works it out, so I guess I have to stick with AVG :(

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

6. TairikuOkami

I have found, that some NOD32 uses Stunnel [freeware] to scan SSL, I have no idea how. :)

By the way, I am not sure, if AVG really scans SSL, depends on the settings:
    DO NOT check "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" on the advanced tab.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You can also let AMON handle anything that arrives.

Cheers :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  8. TairikuOkami

... On the other hand, you have more and more home users using stuff like GMail, with its SSL encryption. IMON cannot scan SSL encrypted e-mail (because of the encrpytion), but EMON can, because it scans it after decrpytion. Of course, this is limited to Outlook, and is not available to other e-mail programs ...

... I have EMON enabled, and it checks all incoming and outgoing email. Since my email account is POP3, I know that EMON checks POP3 accounts ...

Source: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=79891&highlight=dmon emon disable

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

10. TairikuOkami

If you receive emails in plain text and you do not open attachments (or you scan them before opening), then you do not need emails scaning whatsoever. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.