Does anyone use Windows Firewall only?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Wai_Wai, Sep 3, 2005.

?

Do you use Wins Firewall(WF) ONLY? (If none is suitable, choose the best answer)

1. No, I never use WF (ONLY). It is bad/rubbish. So why use it? Go use third-party ones

31.7%
  2. No WF (ONLY). It is good/excellent, but other thrid-party firewalls are better

30.0%
  3. No WF (ONLY), but the reason ISN'T about security performace, but some other factors

6.7%
  4. Yes, I use WF ONLY. It's known to be good/excellent against hacking or intrusions etc.

11.7%
  5. Yes WF ONLY. Internet ISN'T as dangerous as it seems. So far my computer's fine with the basic WF

5.0%
  6. Yes WF ONLY. Security is not a concern to me. I will workarounad & live with the bare protection

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yes WF ONLY, because of its light resource usage. I am rather a performance greek.

6.7%
  8. Yes WF ONLY, because they are pre-installed. I don't bother to install others. Waste my time.

1.7%
  9. Yes WF ONLY. But I have a reason very different from the above (Option 4-8 )

6.7%
  10. Frankly I use no Firewall. I simply shut down the Wins Firewall (if it's on)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Hi.
    There's a poll to see if any user use Windows Firewall and entrust it with its computer security.

Instruction
    - Choose an answer above. If no one seems to be proper, just choose the one which has the nearest meaning to yours.

- Then you may choose to specifically express why you use or don't use WF.
    Optionally, you may tell me which third-party firewall you use.
    Optionally, you may comment anything relating to the poll.

Note
    - Please don't make any irrelevant comment or reply (eg discuss about which is the best third-party firewall). It's because I wish to keep this thread clean without cluttering up with lots of irrelevant info.
    - If you are too eager to do so, consider opening another thread or private messaging.

Please be active and make your own nice poll. :D
    Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Re: Does anyone use Windows Fiewall only?

...absolutely not. That would be tantamount to driving on the autobahn without a seatbelt - a very dangerous proposition.

3. rawr

rawr Registered Member

..Windows Firewall has "decent" inbound protection but no outbound protection..and plus, 3rd-party firewall software is always better. :D

Edit* Voted for No WF (ONLY). It is good/excellent, but other thrid-party firewalls are better

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

WF's inbound protection isnt bad but ill stick to a 3rd party FW (outpost pro) it offers greater protection and more features. i suggest WF to people who dont understand firewalls much or who like their programs simple.

5. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

6. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

What is Window Firewallo_O? Hhehhee. :D :D :D

7. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Behind a router and with a good AV and AT scanner real-time, I run Windows Firewall. Inbound protection is all I need for now :)

8. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I used to run windows without a personal firewall (except for long time beta testing Outpost). My lan is behind a hardware firewall, but the family computer comes with a security center and I don't like to see the SC warnings. Activating is very effective in suppressing these.

9. squash

squash Registered Member

I use Windows Firewall only.
    It is the lightest, least annoying and least buggy firewall I have ever used.
    It is always 100%, never crashes or anything unlike Kerio and Sygate which crashes causes BSOD and so forth.

I see no purpose of outbound firewall apart from a sense of security, of whicht he later may just be a false sense anyway due to leak tests. On other operating systems such as Linux and *BSD they use iptables firewall, which is incoming onyl and there is no outbound firewall available - and do they care? do they go saying outbound firewalls are better? - I don't think so...

All a firewall needs to do and make all ports stealthed. I might not even need a firewall at all, since are my ports are closed anyway. But I feel like stealth - since it is propaganda by Steve Gibson to make me do so...

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Don't see the need to run windows firewall with a router so I turned it off.

11. culla

culla Registered Member

never had a problem with win firewall plus a few programs ie and xp fully updated, spyware blaster, spywareguard, avg, spybot teatimer, adaware se.also i use hjt to check if anything has changed i've been using this setup for over a year [since i got my new comp] without ever getting malware or virus so i feel there is no need for 3rd party software firewall. :D

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Am in the same camp as Rawr, but certainly understand the position of Hammer and others like him. I like performace too. ;)

13. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Also believe as mercurie and rawr do, that it is decent and somewhat useful, but certainly would only run it if there was a problem with with my third party software firewall.....

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I have a router so mine is turned off. I have Kerio 2.1.5 to monitor outgoing requests, something that the Windows firewall does not do.

15. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I think that the result of such a poll at Wilders is somewhat biased because people visiting Wilders more likely will use a third party firewall, as they tend to be more or less a little bit paranoid about computer security.

I think that Window's default firewall is good enough for me. I surf the web with caution, and seldom download questionable software or software from questionable website. So I could hardly find malware or unauthorized outbound connection on my computer for a long time. However, I do use a third party firewall, just in case...

16. Wai_Wai

Yes, very true.
    Wilders guys are more concerned about security :D

17. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I leave the WinXP firewall enabled....I'm fine with that, it's actually quite effective, and low in resource usage...but I'm behind a NAT router anyways, could care less if I had the Win firewall off.

18. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

I do. Works great!

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

None of those answers apply. I have a firewall. It's called a router. Why isn't that one of the choices? As for software firewalls, yes, I keep ICF enabled on my dialup connection for those times when my cable modem is down and I have to use dialup. I also keep it enabled on my broadband connection. That is because I might forget to enable it when I have to come out from behind the router and do a direct connection. But my firewall is my router. ICF is used only in those situations where the router cannot be used.

20. Wai_Wai

Strange to say, it seems the poll has errors.
    In the option of " Yes, I use WF ONLY. It's known to be good/excellent against hacking or intrusions etc.", I saw only 6 users voting this option (you can check it when you click on it for details), but the total shows it is 7. Weird XD
    (Still valid up to 18 Oct 2005)

21. Wai_Wai

I think the nearest answer avaialbe might be the last one.
    Read it like that:
    - Frankly I use no (software) firewall...

It seems you only use router and don't care much to use software firewalls to portect your connection (especially outbound ones). And you says you don't really need to switch ICF on except the fact that router doesn't work with a direct dial-up connection. that's why you need to use ICF.

So the last option seems to be the nearest one in my opinion. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.