Serv-U green horseshoe

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by missyj, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missyj

missyj Registered Member

I'm having problems with a green horseshoe in the lower toolbar that I can't get rid of and it seems to interfer with logging on the internet. I ran Norton, SpySubtract, and Ad-ware, but it is still there. I can shut it down, but within a few minutes, it is right back! I ran a Search for Serv-U and it came up Windows\system32\mui\2241. I deleted it, but it came right back. Can anyone out there help meo_O I saw a post in the Trojans forum, but for some reason I'm not allowed to start a new thread there. That person ran Adware and got rid of the darn thing. Didn't work for me. Please help!! I don't want to take it to Geek Squad to fix for $200!!

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. missyj

missyj Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, Snowbound! I will have to download those free versions here at work and reload them at home--can't do much with the internet at home with that malware there. I sure hope those work. Will let you know!

4. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

first try the scanners snowbound mentioned

if it doesnt help try following the instructions by Calamity Jane in this post :
    http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23364

you dont have the infection mentioned in the post, but kaspersky is very good in detecting these ftp rootkits

also post your hijakcthis log at one of the forums mentioned here:
    http://a-sap.info/

5. missyj

missyj Registered Member

I ran the ewido site download--took it quite a awhile to get done--rebooted and the green horseshoe is still there. The internet takes a very long time to come up. Couldn't get to emsisoft site--computer just kept up Page not available. Am going to try to get to the kaspersky site and hopefully will be successful with that one. Tried to get the Hijack This log, but can't email from my infected computer and the CD-RW I brought into work with the log on it, the computer here can't access!! I'm giving instructions over the phone and the husband is running, or should I say trying to run, the other download you mentioned.

Will let you know how is goes--so far not a darn thing works!!! :'(

6. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

hmm just an odd thought: you did let ewido clean what it found ?

also i suggest repeating the scan while in
    safe mode
    the recommended setting for the ewido scan is to let it clean infected files with an encrypted back up

7. missyj

missyj Registered Member

I ran Ewido again in safe mode and had the files cleaned. No success. I can't get the kaspersky scan because you have to download it from an email, which I can't access from my infected computer. I did a HijackThis and will post the log on one of the sites listed.

8. Trekk

Trekk Registered Member

Are you rebooting in between attempts? Run Adaware, reboot, then run it again. You may also try Hijackthis. Even though its mostly for browser hijackers it removes other malware as well. Often times I have noticed that timing has allot to do with the success of Adaware. I have run it at times when it would not remove somthing, rebooted, ran it again, and it was gone.

Trekk

9. missyj

missyj Registered Member

Yup, been rebooting after every attempt, and still nothing. Makes it hard when you can't access what you need and have to go from one computer, save what you need on disk, and reload it on the sick one. My computer here at work doesn't have CD-RW and some of the scanners are too large to fit on a floppy. I did post my HJT log on BleepingComputer, so hopefully will find success in that.

10. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

hi

i'm currently reviewing your log at bleeping computer, see you there :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.