A-squared

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by chaos16, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

QUick the anticipation of it all..lol MD o_O o_O o_O

2. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

I think I see a small update there today :eek: :D

3. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Lods of Singnatures it seems :p :D

4. wildman

wildman Registered Member

You are absolutely correct. I just finished down loading the update.

Thanks
    Wildman

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In recent days a-squared has upgraded its Guard, & its HiJackFree. Plus it has also issued a couple of magnum-sized signature updates. Soon-to-come is version 2 & MORE POWER!!

SHAZAM!!!!!

6. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Does the Personal version automatically become the Free version when the 30-day trial version expires ?

EDIT: Also, what is the file IPWORKS6.DLL used for ?

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  7. Defenestration

Another question of got is - Why are the Last Update and License Expiry dates displayed in a different format on the a2 Start Center ?

The Last Update date is shown in my locale specific format (ie. DD/MM/YYYY) with leading zero's (the format I want). But, the License Expiry date is shown in US specific format (ie. M/D/YYYY).

Please can this be corrected in the next version of A-squared so that all dates are shown in locale-specific format with leading zero's, since showing them in different formats is confusing.

Secondly, it's not preperly localised for UK english (eg. Center should be spelt Centre)

Attached Files:

8. Defenestration

Yet another thing - I use Firefox and have it set as my default browser, but clicking on the "Visit the a2 homepage" link in the a2 Start Centre always trys to load it in IE.

9. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

With a overy huge 430 gig hard drive. my god. Id install every thing I could to protect that. Im using the free 1.6 version. what about this guard thing?
    should I enable it? I have all Protections from spyware blaster and spybot enabled, will a2 Guard just enhance more protection??

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

If you have the Personal version, I recommend that you do run the Guard. It is amazingly light (even on my WinME partition) & affords great protection.

As to the more technical questions, I am unqualified to answer. Perhaps someone here at Wilder's will reply but -- even so -- you should might be well advised to visit a-squared support forum.

11. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

thankyou. As I went to the forum I noticed alot of people having issues with this Guard thing so I decided to leave it alone.

12. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

@Defenestration -
    A few answers anyway:
    Ipworks is just a component thats availble on the internet from nsoftware, It is used for handling different internet protocols like tcp/ip etc. What exacly its used for in a2's case who knows? (updater etc) - It is probably a case of why re-invent the wheel if a component is available for use that suits a programmers needs.

A2 link to home page irritates me too with firefox :D

as for the date format, the link to home page, centre of the center etc - post your comments at a2. It probably won't get top priority - but they do listen ;)

13. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

In fact we just finished a rebranded version of a² v1.7. Next scheduled releases are v1.7, a rebranded version of a² Anti-Dialer + a² Anti-Dialer and a² v2.

14. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

No it doesn't. It will just remind you about the expired trial.

IPWorks! is a component suite we are using in 1.6 within the updater. Version 1.7 and 2.0 won't use it anymore.

15. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Cause the License Expiry value uses the format you specified serverside. The last update value uses the local format. But I guess we can fix that with version 1.7.

Feel free to create a copy of English.lng, rename it to "English (UK).lng" and fix the errors. If you send me the corrected language file we will put it into the online update.

16. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Could you please check if firefox is the application registered for HTML files?

17. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Well the guard still has a few issues (for example its sometimes a little bit too aggressive and produces false decisions). But on the other hand all recent worms like Sober, MyTob and Bagle variants etc. were detected without an update. Even the spyware installed on the miss-spelled google homepage was prevented by the guard. So its more a generic tool than a traditional guard.

But if I were you I would wait for 1.7 cause we highly improved the guard :).

18. Defenestration

19. Defenestration

Yes, FF is registered for HTM and HTML files.

20. Defenestration

Thanks, I appreciate you fixing something minor like this.

I have done this and sent it to info@emsisoft.com.

However, the window title for the start centre seems to be hard-coded and always shows up as a2 Start Center :(

21. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Well its simply the "phone home" for updates a² reports. Thats fine currently. With 1.7 that will be fixed cause we changed the rules slightly. Just put it to the exclusion list.

Could you please export the following registry key and send the file to andreas.haak@emsisoft.com?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile

I have sent a little note to Christian so he will process your message ASAP.

22. Defenestration

Done.

23. Defenestration

Is a2 Guard supposed to be hardened against termination ?

If not, why not because doesn't this leave it vulnerable to malware which can simply terminate a2Guard ?

I ask because I had no problem terminating a2 Guard using Task Manager.

EDIT: When can we get this 1.7 version you talk about Andreas ?

24. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Hi all,
    Does anyone know if a-squared use command line switches?

25. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Yep, there's a big D/L of stuff today - so keep trying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.