dos popup

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lildill, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lildill

lildill Registered Member

every 10 minutes or so, what looks like a dos pop up opens for about 2 milliseconds then disappears..... infact, it just did it five seconds ago while i was writing this.... Could anyone tell me just whats going on? It is really really annoying because when Im playin a fullscreen online game, and it pops up, it takes me to my desktop and I have to go back into the game again. :'(

2. lildill

anybody got an answer for me? o_O I would greatly appreciate it :)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I know it is probably impossible to see what is on the popup but it sure would help in trying to figure what is wrong.

bigc

4. lildill

k every once in a while it will stay for like three seconds....so ill screenshot it, then type out the contents into a post.

Thanks for replying....i was beginning to believe this was just another lost thread.

Dylan

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you can screen shot it maybe we can figure out what is going on.

bigc

6. lildill

k... i managed to screen shot it.... what happened was it popped up while i was in a fullscreen game, then froze the screen for about 10 seconds and i got the shot...

the directory is:

C:/DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\DOWNLO~1\EXITEM~1.CUR\DUCINS... then it cuts off

Well it seems that it has something to do with norton antivirus live update... since norton antivirus is owned by symantec. I dunno it seems that the window wasnt large enough to capture the full directory so i dunno. I hope this helps

7. lildill

this DUCINS thing.... i found that file on my computer when i searched for it.

DUCINS~1.EXE-27997D81
    under
    C:\WINDOWS\prefetch

the really odd thing about this now....is that when i click to open it... it opens in kazaa lite. After kazaa lite opens, an error message pops up and tells me that kazaa must shut down. So I went to the file's properties....tried to change the file's starting program to norton antivirus, but it said the file was in use by another program. Any ideas what is going on?

8. lildill

hah...well what d'ya know.... I went back and simply did a norton antivirus update and now it seems this pop ups is gone.

I hope it is gone forever.

Dylan

9. troyd

troyd Registered Member

I have that same problem too. I went to update my norton antivirus and it would download all these updates and all. One update kept failing. It was called "Avenge 1.5 MicroDefs2 (240.4KB)." It said it was a disk space check for virus definitions. Everytime I went to update it, that very same Dos pop up would come on during the update and then it said that the download failed. It's description said "LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. This update was not applied." I can't totally update Norton and I keep getting that annoying pop up. Can anybody tell me what to do to get rid of it once and for all?

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi troyd. :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Take a look here,

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

See if it helps.

snowbound

11. SGD

SGD Registered Member

I as well have this same popup recently (DUCINS~).
    When I go to live update it says I am missing OLEACC.DLL and will not complete the liveupdate nor the definitions.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.

SGD

12. lildill

well it seems this popup is back on my system :doubt:

13. joybugoy

joybugoy Registered Member

i believe the problemm is with NORTON
    "avenge 1.5 microdefs2"
    This does not update at all, and if it does not it will continue to try to update hence the pop-up window.
    I'm still trying to find anwers myself and will let you know if i find one.

14. MiaFillthy

MiaFillthy Guest

haha got the same problem guys, im thinkin of just uninstalling Nortin ....

15. Why can't we GET a straight answer how and where did this come fromo_O?
    and how do you fix ito_O??

16. I too have had this problem with Live Update. One suggestion I can make is to use the Intelligent Updates from this link http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html to manually install most of the virus definitions. You will still get the message that it is not updated but atleast your computer will have some updated virus protection.

17. lildill

ya i went to the norton site and followed the directions to fix it...but it still didn't work. So ya, I cant find my Norton Disk anywhere so i don't want to uninstall it and reinstall it... Hopefully Norton fixes it

18. Looks like Norton fixed it. I just tried to update again and "avenge1.5 microdefs2" went through. Finally - Yeah!

19. lildill

yee hawww mine to. It better not come back, that popup was annoying :S

20. reymisterio

reymisterio Guest

hey guys im also having problems with that pop up, but it cant be norton antivirus because i dont have it, the thing is that i saw 2 other people who hp printer having the problem, and since i installed my hp printer, that pop up came out, any help please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.