Problem with Acronis TI7 & nForce4 raid-0 when booting from CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mark876543, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark876543

mark876543 Registered Member

I have an Asus A8N-SLI deluxe mobo. Using the nVidia Raid controller for my C drive, made of 2 80GB SATA-II drives in Raid-0. Works fine from XP, but from the Acronis recovery boot CD, the raid isn't recognized properly; I see the 2 individual drives instead of the larger raid drive. Likewise, Partition Magic 8 causes major system destruction after the machine reboots to execute the queued tasks of resizing and creating another partition. I think it's for a similar reason, that the raid isn't being detected right, so it hoses the boot sector in ways that are difficult to fix.

What I'd like to do is manually add the nvidia raid drivers to my Acronis TI7 boot cd, so that the raid will be recognized right. Acronis TI does support raid-0, and in Windows there is no problem. That's because the proper drivers are being used in the Windows environment. But when you wanna restore a wrecked system, you have to use the boot CD which I made from Acronis running in Windows. I'm suprised it didn't put the right driver on the CD when I made the boot CD. Probably has to be tweaked to support it. It's a somewhat new chipset. I played with the bleeding edge and cut myself :(

Acronis TrueImage 7 is supposed to be a Linux based app, right, not dos? (That's why it works as well as it does I think, and has no problems normally will all kinds of hardware like SATA & Raid). So do I need to find Linux raid driver and stick on the boot CD or what. Or do I use the ones off the floppy that I use for WindowsXP raid driver pre-install?

Here are the files on my Acronis Recovery boot CD:
    Name Size Type
    bootmenu.exe 935 KB Application
    bootwiz.sys 22 KB System file
    f11.cfg 1 KB CFG File
    kernel.dat 614 KB NeroMIX media files
    mouse.com 5 KB MS-DOS Application
    ramdisk.dat 7,510 KB NeroMIX media files

Here are the files on the boot floppy for my RAID, that I used to load RAID
    driver when installing Windows XP SP2:
    Name Size Type
    disk1 1 KB File
    idecoi.dll 288 KB Application Extension

nvata.cat 9 KB Security Catalog
    nvatabus.inf 6 KB Setup Information
    NvAtaBus.sys 85 KB System file

nvcoi.dll 32 KB Application Extension
    nvide.nvu 1 KB NVU File
    nvraid.cat 9 KB Security Catalog

nvraid.inf 3 KB Setup Information
    nvraid.sys 67 KB System file
    nvraidco.dll 18 KB Application Extension

nvuide.exe 172 KB Application
    txtsetup.oem 5 KB OEM File

I can re-make the Acronis CD manually, but with the drivers added. Need help to know what to add though. Think it will work?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mark876543,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support NVidia RAID when you boot from Acronis Bootable CD. The reason for this is lack of open source drivers for the NForce chipset. Currently you cannot add any drivers into Acronis Bootable CD. Please note that this CD is build-specific, not system-specific do it even doesn't matter on which computer it is created.

NVRAID support will be implemented as soon as the open source drivers for it are available.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. mark876543

mark876543 Registered Member

Thanks for the good answer! As a workaround, I installed a small removable ide drive in a drive-drawer, and loaded WinXP, chipset drivers, and Acronis TI7 on it. This takes the place of the recovery CD. From there I could restore my C drive sucessfully! The image was located on a firewire drive.

Before that I tried booting into windows on C, then tried to restore to C. That didn't work. You have all these system files open and it won't let you wipe out the drive you're booted from.

Acronis True Image is such a great product, it's saved me more than once. I wouldn't use raid-0 without it. It takes days to load and configure all my stuff.

4. yanickv1

yanickv1 Guest

Hello, I have just received my Alienware Area51-7700m laptop with raid-0 configuration (I think it is a Promise SATA37:cool:. Does Acronis support this kind of raid driver?

Thank you very much,

Yanick

PS: did you manage to install a removable ide drive in a drive-drawer or do you use a workstation?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.