What About BitDefender 8 Standard?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

What About BidDefender 8 Standard?

I am in the process of finding a new antivirus. I don't hear a lot about BitDefender. What are your thoughts on BitDefender 8 Standard? I trialed if for a couple of weeks and it seemed to be a good AV. It ran nicely on my computer. Nice price also. How does it stack up against McAfee's VirusScan 9? These two are on my short list of AVs to purchase.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

3. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Hi Graystoke, I'm on day 5 of trialing bitdefender standard 8.0.137. I like the antivirus.Updates are regular,about every 3 hours if needed. Nice easy interface. The price is certainly good. Only 29.00 I think. There is a downside...Bitdefender uses a lot of system resources. More than kav or mcaffe.

Uses quite a bit of memory to, about 30 mbs. Mcaffe and kav 5.0, my system resources would run about 84% free. Bitdefender, I'm running about 77% free. Heres an old link about bitdefender standard. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=58977&highlight=bitdefender standard

Bitdefender runs surprisingly well on my older system. Sometimes computer wants to hang at shutdown. I'm running windows me, 700 mhz processor, and only 192 mb of ram. If you have a newer system. You won't have any problem running it. I'm trialing it also based on its high score at http://www.av-comparatives.org Will I buy it? I don't know.

I like to try out different antivirus products. I already have 2 more on my list just waiting to be trialed :D Bitdefender is a tremendous antivirus, and I highly recommend it...and you can't beat the price.

4. Graystoke

Hi JerryM and Mr2cents. Thanks for the replies and the links. I also noticed that BitDefender used a little more resourses than McAfee VirusScan. There was a little slow down in connection speed also while using BitDefender. Not that big of a deal though. I'm going to have to do a little more thinking about this. I was hoping more BitDefender users would respond with their experienses. Maybe most of them use the free version.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Um...I think BitDefender seems to be pretty light even though it uses 30MB memory... I think its an excellent Anti-Virus with a decent firewall (talking about BitDefender Pro :cool:. And yes, no AV vendor offers such an excellent AV at such an excellent price! I'm getting BitDefender Pro 8 for only about USD 26.11 (INR 1175 - excellent reseller!). AND I get 2yrs for only about USD 48 (INR 2200). I am seriously considering BitDefender.

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I bought Bitdef a year ago, with the two year subscription. however I quite using it cause of the firewall and high consumption. the firewall is one of the worst I have ever seen on the internet. no options. it isn't stealthing me, even after the tweaks I had done (printer sharing, server,...)
    it was like the windows firewall except that did stealth my puter. just my two cents

7. Firecat

Well OK then...not a decent Firewall...but Windows XP SP2+BD Firewalls work fine, so I got nice security, right?

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Infinity is saying no.

9. Graystoke

I'm really just interested in BitDefender Standard. I use ZoneAlarm for my firewall. From what I'm reading here, BD 8 Standard might be the way to go.

10. Mr2cents

I agree with Graystoke. I want the antivirus only. I run kerio 2.15 as my firewall. It's lite on system resources, and is very configurable. A rule based firewall. To each his own, but I won't be installing any suite that combines firewall and antivirus together. That goes for norton, mcafee, trend micro, bitdefender, and on and on :cool: However, if the suite allows you to install the antivirus only...that's a different story.

I've ran trend micro successfully installing the antivirus only. Beware of panda..I installed panda titanium and was given a choice as to whether I wanted to install there firewall. I chose not to install it. I installed titanium antivirus only. However, there was a conflict with a kerio driver after I installed panda. Kerio would not boot up. I could start it manually, but couldn't get on the internet.

I uninstalled panda, and reinstalled titanium including the firewall. I disabled kerio in misconfig not to start up. You're not supposed to run 2 firewalls at the same time. Panda runs sygate firewall. I have nothing against sygate. It's a great firewall. I ran it a year myself, before I found kerio. Here's the problem with panda. Panda uses a proxy...Rule number one with sygate firewall is this...Thou shalt not run a proxy with sygate. Sygate has a known vulnerbility in the loopback issue. It's possible for a trojan to pass right through sygate undetected. Sygate has known about this issue for years.

Panda uses a proxy with sygate. Not very intelligent on pandas part. Panda has a great antivirus. They should stay with there antivirus. They have shown they know nothing about firewalls. I'm through preaching now :cool:

11. Mr2cents

I uninstalled Bitdefender standard the other night. Bitdefender is a great antivius, and I highly recommend it. However, on my computer. Running windows me, with 192 mbs of ram, and a 700 mhz processor. My computer had a tendency to want to hang at shutdown. That's the only reason I uninstalled it.
    If you have a newer computer. I would highly suggest you give bitdefender standard a try.

I'm now trialing Nod32. I'm very impressed with Nod32. Light on memory and

system resources. There are so many choices out there for antivirus products. I say just find one that runs good on your system, and that you like, and let that be your antivirus. And add a anti trojan to go along with it,. If you feel you need it. I run boclean and highly recommend it.

12. Graystoke

Well I went ahead and did it. I purchased BitDefender 8 Standard this past Thursday. It's been running very nicely on my computer. No slowdowns of any kind. I have a 5 year old 700Mhz, 512 RAM computer. I've had virus updates everyday including today, Sunday. So far I like it a lot.

13. Firecat

Do keep me updated on how BitDefender's running please!

14. Graystoke

Hi Firecat. Here's a quick update. Today I ran the first full scan since installing. It took well over an hour to complete. I'm not used to a scan taking so long. I guess it's not a problem, unless you are pressed for time. :) On the total number of files scanned, the number was larger than any other AV I've used. My previous high was around 280,000 files. With BitDefender it was over 300,000.

More later. :)

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks for the update. I am following this thread daily, with great interest. Please keep reporting on your experiences with BD.

16. Graystoke

I didn't think there would be much interest here on how BD performs. I guess it's because I didn't hear/read that much about BD. Only a few AV comparitives.

I will keep reporting on my experiences with it.

17. Firecat

And don't ever stop!

18. Arin

Arin Registered Member

the BitDefender firewall is certainly not the best in the class, but the scanning engine
    is good. the scanning time is huge and it seems that the engine doesn't like HTML files, it takes a lot of time to go through them.

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

We are NOT discussing the BD Firewall here. Please stay on-topic, which is the BD Standard AntiVirus, which does NOT include the firewall.

20. Arin

Arin Registered Member

read the whole text. thank you.

21. Firecat

What about Packers as compared to KAV?

22. Arin

Arin Registered Member

KAV is way ahead of BitDefender.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\plugins.htm

23. Firecat

Can I say its better than say McAfee or Panda?

24. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Firecat, its better than panda but McAfee is better than BitDefender in this aspect. guys at Rokop might differ with me though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.